Backup LED above the camera behind the spare tire

drock317

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS - Ocean Blue
OK guys here my plan... but first thanks for all the good ideas, They were great...

After 10 emails and reseach with [email protected] I have determined that the JL with the LED package only covers the headlights and brake, signal as well as running lights NOT THE BACKUP LIGHT... which is just a plain 7440 bulb for $5. I will be purchasing 2 sets of https://www.diodedynamics.com/backup-leds-for-2018-jeep-jl-wrangler-pair.html for $40 a set... The two sets is for my buddy and me... Now I found that the website for diodedynamics.com shows JK lights not JL lights. So hopefully they will put up new images as it make it confusing for us real Jeep guys who know a JL versus JK...

Disclaimer: I have had 3 Jeeps before this new Rubicon coming soon and each Jeep had the worst lighting for backing up... So I happy to just change out the bulbs versus all the other options of adding lights etc.

Hope this makes sense to you all. It does for me.
@Diode Dynamics is this true?? All your other posts talk about your LED reverse light bulbs only replace the halogen version and won't plug into turn LED tails. If this is true I'll be ordering a set.

Anyone else try this out ?
Sponsored

OP
OP
MacJack

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2010 GMC Sierra 1500
This is what I ended up doing... https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...unting-backup-lights-in-the-spare-tire.18588/

Works great... download my instructions and photos in the pdf if you like the extra brightness. I needed the light living 20 miles from the first street light.
I have been thinking of doing this as well but center top of the spare tire mount. Just found a cheap amazon pod light I bought a few years ago for my ATV that I never installed so thought about throwing it on the back behind the spare tire to give a bit more light. Glad to hear it’s working out. Any reason in particular you didn’t put only one in the top and went two on the sides instead?

OP
OP
MacJack

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Like you had had two lights... You will see at the beginning of this post I planned on one light then I had the KC backup lights and said why not both since it came with brackets and wire harness... Did you see the photos in the pdf.... I'm very happy with the brightness. In fact was working on my buddy Jeep and backed up to it and used the lights. My suggest to you is do a temp wiring and plug in cig liter in back and see what you get. I did test mine to make sure and double the power blow me away. Happy installation... O I have a two door and was so easy to run the wire from the spare as it has a hold with a rubber grommet and pop off the plastic cover on back door (came with the Rubicon) and followed the cable and under the carpet edge. Easy.

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2010 GMC Sierra 1500
Ya I saw your PDF. Was nice seeing a setup very similar to what I want to do. Just wasn’t sure your reasoning behind doing two lights instead of one but now I see why. That’s a good idea. Never thought of plugging it into the cigarette lighter in the back to test it and make sure I’m happy before finalizing everything. Great idea. Once I get our a-pillar lights in, will probably do this at the same time. Thanks for all your info.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MacJack

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Your welcome... and test your string of Christmas lights before hanging them up inside and out...

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Ok here's what you do, buy this: https://amzn.to/2KvVx58 and wire it to your reverse lights. Then replace the leds with white leds and voila, you have your very clean backup lights

Last edited:

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
Ok here's what you know, buy this: https://amzn.to/2KvVx58 and wire it to your reverse lights. Then replace the leds with white leds and voila, you have your very clean backup lights
That's not a bad idea for a mounting system for backup lights. Instead of mounting to the carrier, make a plate, buy surface mounted lights, and align them with the spoke holes. New rims ... new plate ... no worries!

Hope your sarcasm was kicking in with the Amazon plate. @MacJack has 40 watts of light hanging off the back of his Jeep, where the Amazon plate only has 5 watts of unfocused LEDs. Although, they are probably brighter than my OEM LED backup lights ... geez what a disappointment.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
That's not a bad idea for a mounting system for backup lights. Instead of mounting to the carrier, make a plate, buy surface mounted lights, and align them with the spoke holes. New rims ... new plate ... no worries!

Hope your sarcasm was kicking in with the Amazon plate. @MacJack has 40 watts of light hanging off the back of his Jeep, where the Amazon plate only has 5 watts of unfocused LEDs. Although, they are probably brighter than my OEM LED backup lights ... geez what a disappointment.
Reverse cameras pick up light pretty good in the dark. How fast are you going to be reversing anyways to need to see 100ft ahead? Those leds will be more than enough to light everything up when reversing.

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
Reverse cameras pick up light pretty good in the dark. How fast are you going to be reversing anyways to need to see 100ft ahead? Those leds will be more than enough to light everything up when reversing.
Not looking for 100ft ahead ... just looking for great detail up to about 20ft behind. As I suspect you understand, it gets damn dark out in the desert when the sun goes down. With no clouds to reflect light back down, it takes a lot of light to see any detail.
Sponsored