Sponsored

Backup Camera will be standard on 2018 Wrangler

myfirstjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
empty
Low key, this may be the most exciting feature for me.

Traditionally, the spare tire in the back greatly affected rear visibility, especially when backing up. This would alleviate a huge chunk of that problem.

I wonder where they are going to place the camera though. I heard rumors that it will be in the center cap of the spare wheel.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd

myfirstjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
empty
Hmm, so it will be in the spare then.

Wonder if that will look kinda ugly when all the camo comes off lol.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Could be, that was the one known test location.

I've done all of them, you can see my most recent in the first thread I linked too.

Biggest problem for me is I have antyre cover, which I like, more for aesthetics than utility, so spare mount kinda monkey with that without taking a razor/Xacto to it.

My oreference for in bumper is also for looking far back down the driveway, which helos me see kids and pets and pedestrians etc moving into the pathway soon enough to slow down before they are near.

The advantage of the tyre carrier is a more top down view to get better spacing view for parking distance, and also allows you to see road features close up like lane markers, ad also smaller toys on the ground. It also compliments a 'bird's eye view' look of front, sides / back.

Now, many companies do both for the surround-view on one side and straight back on the other, so could do both.

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm, so it will be in the spare then.

Wonder if that will look kinda ugly when all the camo comes off lol.
It should be fine. The FJ Cruiser has had it there since 2009

OP
OP

jeepney123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Train Set
And here's the G Wagon's for reference.

2g_800.jpg

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The G wagon placement is a bit high, I think that one is for the Bird's eye view like that on my father-in-law's Merc.

On the JL, it does look to be in the centre of the rim, in place of the Jeep logo currently on wheels... but think about that... that means it has to be accounted for when swapping the spare (even just tyre rotation) especially for non-oem rims that may not have anpop-able centre,. Aalso now your spare loses the centre cap when you swap it out. Putting it in a spoke void poses a similar challenge even with OEM rims like the sport, vs 7 spoke vs Rubi shapes.

It would be nice to integrate it into the centre brake light, but it recessed behind the tyre so it mire easily blocked, and like the G-wagon it's also signficantly higher up there.

I think the options are limited, license plate definitely sucks.

IMG_0746.JPG

myfirstjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
empty
I was thinking a mount somewhere near the door handle would look best. Since the mules have it mounted inside the spare center cap, it will look like a little hole.

I didn't realize the FJs had a camera spare mount too. I knew they were uglier than Wranglers, but not that much uglier! :)

Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I put my own in and it is in the bumper below the tire carrier That is mY bet

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was thinking a mount somewhere near the door handle would look best. Since the mules have it mounted inside the spare center cap, it will look like a little hole.
The problem with the door handle would be that it is almost as offset as the license plate mount making it harder to see things on the passenger side rear including people directly behind the right rear bumper, and in that position it is obstructed by the spare tyre (dunno how much).

Centre mount (whether high or low) helps for things like trailer hitch alignment, and is better for squeezing in to tight spots since things are at proper right angle, not askew.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wish the backup camera could operate full time and be connected to an LCD screen in the rear-view mirror. The rear-mounted spare tire would no longer block rear visibility.
Yeah, that option is also. handy for when the soft top plastic window gets hazy/opaque from mud or slush or dust or road grime , although sometimes the rear cam also gets affected by road grime etc. I moded my previous 430 to accomplish this (needs more than rear cam unlock above needs VES/RSE cable & unlock too).

That option is available in parkview by touching the parkview button previously, but only for 10-30 seconds at a time and would time-out unless crawling at low speed for trailer hitch orientation / dickering.

However the feature has ben updated it seems, but not sure if the new Uconnect Gen4 edition is continuous or not, seems so by the description, but also that continuous mode may be limited to the 8", while the mirror-based & 3" & 5" may still be temporary view, dunno.

" Additionally, Uconnect systems equipped with the largest-in-class 8.4-inch touchscreen offer view-at-speed capability. The ParkView Rear Back-Up Camera image is available in any gear, at any speed, with a touch of a button - perfect for checking the trailer hitch when towing. "

https://www.ramtruck.ca/en/1500/technology

That is how I set it up on previous installs in the Wrangler, with the 430 unit, where I split off the view to the head unit and small portable viewer (first mounted in Daystar change tray cellphone holder then moved to driver A-pillar) powered by VES wiring harness (the usual one you get on amazon with multi in/out) + unlock for rear cam and VES and RearSeatEntertainment (usually for headrests) unlock, which allowed me to manually trigger the video in as an auxillary video input instead of just the automatic activation when ECU indicated reverse, that allowed me both a rear cam view, as well as an axle/under-body cam (and Motorola Tablet video out) thanks to a small 3input RCA switcher in the change tray in front of the Auto-shifter.

Head unit always got rear view for when it was triggered by ECU which works with unit on or off (mode that displays time), portable monitor got view from switcher and also acted as OBDII viewer for TorqPro app fromthe Motorola.

That way I could switch to rear for low visibility rear window, and (including hardtop broken defroster [I've replaced/repaired that 5 times on 3 Wranglers]), OBDII, or switch to axle view when going over obstacles (cam mount up and back of axle to the driver-side of drive-shaft) had to re-install that after some deep snow off-roading on ski hill.

It was a serious pain to setup so I didn't bother re-do on A-X partly because of 430 unit failure after 3 months (twice in almost 2 years [both DVD-audio sticking while off-roading shock and not opening afterwards, which never happened on Rubi]), but once installed and configured, worked like a charm, and was supper handy.

I would like the return of all that as stock in the JL, and supposedly all but the video in/out is supported inside the new Uconnect units.
If they also added a forward and underneath trail cam system like in Land Rover and Benz, that would be nice. Unfortunately that trail cam not being on current top-end Grand Cherokees has me doubting it ever being added as a stock feature.
Sponsored