Backup Camera Turns On When You Use Your Turn Signal

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
For those of you with the Tazer JL, have you used the TurnCAM feature that turns on the backup camera whenever you use your turn signal? I'm thinking about buying the Tazer JL just for this feature alone, but I'd like to see what existing owners think of this feature. Is it helpful? Worthless? Thanks for your feedback.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@jeremyjeep

Well, you probably know I am very pro, Tazer JL ... 8-) Can tell you, right now, that feature is a tad quirky

Hopefully, in a future Tazer JL firmware update, the TurnCam feature will be perfected. I think the issue right now with it, may be a timing issue, which ZAutomotive can conquer.

TurnCam is a terrific feature though... it's just that right now, you have to occasionally, turn the camera off after a turn because it does not turn off the camera automatically, as it should. This only happens once in awhile.. To turn the camera off after a turn, you just press the X on the screen... no big deal but...

Anyway, I still use the TurnCam feature when I am towing, which is often.

Note: There is one short coming that will not be changed in a future Taze JL firmware release... you can not concurrently use TurnCam and In Motion at the same time. It is one or the other. Apparently, that cannot be changed. A shame as when I tow and want TurnCam, on, I also want In Motion, ability to work with / make entries in regard to the GPS when the JL is moving.

In closing............. geeeeeez, TurnCam though cool, is only part of so so much that the Tazer JL brings to the table. The Tazer JL is like the icing on the cake for me in regard to my JL. Alot of bang for the buck in regard to the Tazer JL.

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
@jeremyjeep

Well, you probably know I am very pro, Tazer JL ... 8-) Can tell you, right now, that feature is a tad quirky

Hopefully, in a future Tazer JL firmware update, the TurnCam feature will be perfected. I think the issue right now with it, may be a timing issue, which ZAutomotive can conquer.

TurnCam is a terrific feature though... it's just that right now, you have to occasionally, turn the camera off after a turn because it does not turn off the camera automatically, as it should. This only happens once in awhile.. To turn the camera off after a turn, you just press the X on the screen... no big deal but...

Anyway, I still use the TurnCam feature when I am towing, which is often.

Note: There is one short coming that will not be changed in a future Taze JL firmware release... you can not concurrently use TurnCam and In Motion at the same time. It is one or the other. Apparently, that cannot be changed. A shame as when I tow and want TurnCam, on, I also want In Motion, ability to work with / make entries in regard to the GPS when the JL is moving.

In closing............. geeeeeez, TurnCam though cool, is only part of so so much that the Tazer JL brings to the table. The Tazer JL is like the icing on the cake for me in regard to my JL. Alot of bang for the buck in regard to the Tazer JL.

1. How well is your vision when the backup camera is on? I've been in other vehicles that had side cameras and obviously that would be a better view, but does the backup camera have a "good enough" view to help with blind spot, safety, etc.?

2. What is In Motion? I'm not super familiar with Tazer JL.

3. I saw on their website "Unmarry" for $50. Is this required when you bring it to the dealer for service and you want to "unmarry" it so the dealer doesn't see it?

4. Will the JL computer log that a Tazer JL was used, thus picky dealerships throw out a yellow flag (NFL reference) and scream warranty violation? I know due to the "aftermarket laws" they aren't supposed to do that, but they can still be d*cks about it and blame.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@jeremyjeep

If you want you can experience what the camera view when turning is like, by just activating your rear camera on while moving forward and turning. Sure, the rear camera will only stay on for say, 10 seconds but it will give you an idea..

Another plus of the Tazer JL is the feature that allows the rear camera to stay on with when moving forward ...and on for as long as you want and no 10 second limitation.

You can marry the Tazer JL anytime you want. It is just a button press to unmarry. You would do this prior to your dealership service department appointment.

In Motion .... it is a live feature that when turned on, disables the GPS from not allowing you to enter data when the vehicle is moving. As a safety thing, they keep you from typing in addresses, etc. when moving. The Tazer JL, In Motion, feature, over rides this blocking.

That $50 unmarry you saw at ZAutomotive's website, is if you want ZAutomotive to clear lets say a used Tazer JL so you could use it on another vehicle, etc..

As for, does the dealer know you are using a programmer... I did a pretty lengthy post on this in the past. Search that post out as I explain pretty well what the dealer sees...

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@jeremyjeep

I found that post, I mentioned.. Will repost it here:

"I'll tell you all that I know in regard to this. Keep in mind that I am going by what I have been told in multiple conversations with dealership techs, by internet search info, etc. My wording may be flawed but the info below will give you the gist of things lets say.. 8-)

Definition of BCM:
The automotive central body control module (BCM) is a processor-based power distribution center that supervises and controls functions related to the car body such as lights, windows, security, door locks and access control, and various comfort controls.
----------------

The TazerJL, Tazer JL Lite and Flashcal all write to the BCM. Each programmer, does it the same way that the dealership's Chrysler Witech POD Micropod II Tool does.

The BCM uses flash counter's ....There are individual flash counter's for each of the features, etc. that the programmer can say disable, enable, change..

In regard to these counter's... Lets just say, the JL leaving the factory is showing 1 for each counter in regard to the dozen or so configurations.

So, the JL is shipped to the dealership and is sold.

The dealer sells the JL.

Now, the new JL owner installs larger size tires and goes to the dealership service department wanting the speedometer corrected. Dealer takes the JL owner's $100+, and using the Witech tool, programs for the larger tire size and the speedometer is now accurate.

As a result of this tire size programming, the counter that keeps track of the tire circumference value, changes from 1 to 2.

--- So, as you see counter's come into use.

Tidbits:

Apparently, there is no lets call it.... tag, ear mark or identifiable signature, etc., of what was written exactly, and by whom.

All the dealership tech can see with his Witech tool is that the BCM was updated x amount of times... counter(s) changed..

Again, to repeat, from what I have been told by a dealership tech, the dealership's Witech tool, does not show a history or what programmer or what specific dealer, etc. did programming on the JL. All that is available in regard to history, is a flash counter for each configuration.

Also, if your dealer does lets say, a flash update on your JL per recommendation of FCA (say for all 2018 JL's) the counter's change.

With the preceding info in mind, the likeliness of the service department tech, taking the time and effort to dig deep, to ascertain if a counter was changed, what setting it was, and then to look up the vehicle history to see if it was dealer-authorized, is well very time consuming and not something the tech would routinely do. Sure, he could do it, but.. it is not is very likely he will."

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I were to connect an ODBII reader that connects to my iPhone to the vehicle, would it increase the counter by 1?
I would say no. Your reader is reading error codes and not programing.

ItsUhJEEP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
Rinebeck01, Im having probs finding the menu/sub menu for the turn cam. Is it b/c I have in motion "ON"

thanks!

ItsUhJEEP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
Rinebeck01, Im having probs finding the menu/sub menu for the turn cam. Is it b/c I have in motion "ON"

thanks!
Im runnin version6

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@ItsUhJEEP

Joe at ZAutomotive has it so you can't run both concurrently. It might be if you have ln Motion, ON that TurnCam is not displayed. With JL engine running, turn In Motion off and see if TurnCam is now listed. To be honest l can't remember. Sucks to get old.. 8-)

ItsUhJEEP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
@ItsUhJEEP

Joe at ZAutomotive has it so you can't run both concurrently. It might be if you have ln Motion, ON that TurnCam is not displayed. With JL running, turn In Motion off and see if TurnCam off is now listed. To be honest l can't remember. Sucks to get old.. 8-)
thank you very much, i will give it a shot. I'm really impressed with the TazerJL. I had SuperChips in the past
Sponsored