Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Process:

If you have a a factory hitch receiver you take it off. Then take all the screws out of bottom of plastic on bumper, this allows you to pull it down enough to get camera in. The hole size is 11/16, if do 3/4 “ it won’t snap in tight. I did some practice holes before I drilled into bumper. Then the trickiest part is getting cable out of wiring harness, you have to slice the rubber grommet to get it out. But it super glues back together pretty tight, hardly noticeable. Then I ran it down under where the jack is stored and down to camera. Then I siliconed it all in. Everything is tucked away, when you open back door it looks like nothing ever happened. But because I’m so picky, I ordered a new harness grommet, can’t stand knowing mine has been cut.

Jeep Wrangler JL Backup camera relocated out of spare tire and into rear bumper relocated-backup-camera-Jeep-JL

Wider image

Jeep Wrangler JL Backup camera relocated out of spare tire and into rear bumper 0F5D603A-E669-43F9-A17B-D1999E7F46C4
Sponsored

Last edited:

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
How’s the view on the screen look?

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
It’s in bumper just above hitch receiver, if you enlarge picture you can see it better.
Well, why didn't you say you trimmed it back to basics! Played "Where's Waldo" until finally spotting the little bugger. Clever idea.

Does it sit right behind the ball, or do you have a drop ball mount? Would seem to be exposed to damage when hooking up the trailer. Can you see around the tongue when hooked up?

Sponsored

INTENSEcretAgent

First Name
Intense
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Clubs

Nice work. Can you provide some additional details on this?

1. Process
2. Implementation notes
3. Final image examples?

OP
OP
Roky

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Well, why didn't you say you trimmed it back to basics! Played "Where's Waldo" until finally spotting the little bugger. Clever idea.

Does it sit right behind the ball, or do you have a drop ball mount? Would seem to be exposed to damage when hooking up the trailer. Can you see around the tongue when hooked up?
I have 4 inch lift so I use an 8 inch drop hitch, so no obstructions for camera.
How’s the view on the screen look?
it looks the same as it did, just a little lower perspective, can see about an inch of bottom of spare.

MeepMeepJeep

First Name
Julia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2015 Wrangler
This is great!! I was a little miffed that I had to buy a tire cover with a hole in the middle of it. I just may have this camera moved-please let us know how you like it and how it's working out in that location!

Great job! That makes so much more sense. :like:

INTENSEcretAgent

First Name
Intense
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Clubs

Thanks, it was quite the process, if you have a a factory hitch receiver you take it off. Then take all the screws out of bottom of plastic on bumper, this allows you to pull it down enough to get camera in. The hole size is 11/16, if do 3/4 “ it won’t snap in tight. I did some practice holes before I drilled into bumper. Then the trickiest part is getting cable out of wiring harness, you have to slice the rubber grommet to get it out. But it super glues back together pretty tight, hardly noticeable. Then I ran it down under where the jack is stored and down to camera. Then I siliconed it all in. Everything is tucked away, when you open back door it looks like nothing ever happened. But because I’m so picky, I ordered a new harness grommet, can’t stand knowing mine has been cut.
I am real interested in image quality / change. The camera was much higher and at an angle. Seems like it should be way off, and curious how the parking lines line up. Any chance you can post a pic?

Im looking at other locations to mount this. The 11/16 "snap in", think it would snap into a metal spot with same hole size? Aprox how thick was the plastic bumper where you drilled?

Lastly wire exit from camera. Do the wires come out the back or the bottom of the camera? Assuming back. Any guestimate on camera depth, and then how flexible where wires if needed to "bend them down" for shallow depth mount?

intheaspens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
This is great!! I was a little miffed that I had to buy a tire cover with a hole in the middle of it. I just may have this camera moved-please let us know how you like it and how it's working out in that location!

Great job! That makes so much more sense. :like:
You actually found one? I ended up crocheting a cover - 1800' of paracord. Works great, but what a PITA to work with!

Sponsored

traviswalker007

First Name
Tony T Walker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
The picture quality is same as it was, no change, the wire plugs in the back of camera, it’s a single wire like headphones, don’t know if will snap in metal or no, didn’t try it. I’ll take pictures this weekend. The plastic on my bumper is about 1/8 inch thick I’m guessing.
did you splice the camera wire to make it longer? curious to know the type of wire you used as i currently have a smashed camera wire and cant seem to find similiar cable to splice it.