Backspace/Offset?

MOJO217

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Hello all! I am planning on going with 305/70R17 tire and looking at wheels with a 4.5 BS and -12 offset. I am wondering with that offset what would be the differences (ride, stance, etc) than a wheel with 5 BS and +1 offset? Also going to put a 2” lift on as well. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
If the wheels are the same width the 4.5 backspaced wheel will stick out a half inch further. You won't feel any difference in the ride.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Check the lift kit you plan to run. Many recommend 4.5” bs

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
You'll be altering the scrub radius as you go further out from the OEM wheels offset, this will result in a bit less steering response since the wheels/tires aren't turning on the tighter arc of the original wheel offset.

If you do plan to lift you might consider the slightly longer Mopar control arms that come w/ their lift kits, this will maintain a higher caster setting so you're less likely to get wander, especially when combined with wider tires (which are more prone to tramlining).

OP
OP

MOJO217

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
You'll be altering the scrub radius as you go further out from the OEM wheels offset, this will result in a bit less steering response since the wheels/tires aren't turning on the tighter arc of the original wheel offset.

If you do plan to lift you might consider the slightly longer Mopar control arms that come w/ their lift kits, this will maintain a higher caster setting so you're less likely to get wander, especially when combined with wider tires (which are more prone to tramlining).

Thank you for the information! I was planning on using the AEV 2” Spacer Lift.... Also, I was thinking about using Geo Correction Brackets to help, would that do the same thing as the control arms? Sorry, I am new to all of this, so again thanks for the suggestions!

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Those correction brackets should accomplish the same thing, I think I'd lean towards the Mopar Lower Control Arms (LCAs) since you'll only be adding arms rather than extra brackets. And the arms should be found for about half the cost of the brackets.

Here's a huge thread on the LCAs
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mopar-lca-swap.22474/

OP
OP

MOJO217

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Those correction brackets should accomplish the same thing, I think I'd lean towards the Mopar Lower Control Arms (LCAs) since you'll only be adding arms rather than extra brackets. And the arms should be found for about half the cost of the brackets.

Here's a huge thread on the LCAs
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mopar-lca-swap.22474/
I will definitely take a look! I am trying to keep the add-ons down to a minimum with this lift (why I’m going with the AEV 2” spacer).... but I do want to make sure that I have everything covered before I take the plunge. BTW - this is mostly going to be a DD with not a lot of wheeling unless I drive off the road on accident ;)
Sponsored