Backspace/offset question

PAULY151

First Name
Paul
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler unlimited jl
Totally confused on backspace/offset. Looking for some inputs for my 19 sahara unlimited. Wanted to put some bfg ko2, around 33in. 2
275/70/18 or 285/7017 Debating on 17 or 18s. Pros and cons of a 10 or 11in width tire? Then im totally confused on wheels. (Backspace , offset) . My ultimate goal is to have tires stick past fenders a inch or 2. I see some folks have a positve offset and they stick out and then the next guy has positive andthey dont.
Any recommendations appreciated. Pictures of a 33ish ?

Advertisement

Last edited:

WXman

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Tons of threads on this. But in a nutshell the factory wheels are 7.5" wide and +44.45mm offset.

So, any added width to the wheel is going to push your outside tire sidewall outboard. And, any reduction in offset will do the same.

By the time you get to a 8.5" width wheel and +25 offset, you're even with the fender. +18 offset and lower you start going outside the fender. -12 and beyond and now you're getting into "skate board" or "R/C truck" territory.

Vedder

First Name
Shannon
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited
Totally confused on backspace/offset. Looking for some inputs for my 19 sahara unlimited. Wanted to put some bfg ko2, around 33in. 295/75/18 or 285/7017 Debating on 17 or 18s. Pros and cons of a 10 or 11in width tire? Then im totally confused on wheels. (Backspace , offset) . My ultimate goal is to have tires stick past fenders a inch or 2. I see some folks have a positve offset and they stick out and then the next guy has positive andthey dont.
Any recommendations appreciated. Pictures of a 33ish ?
They are the same because there is other variables. A positive offset of 6 is different than a positive offset of 44. A wheel with an offset of 18 with an 11 inch wide tire won’t be in the same place as the same wheel with a 13.5 inch wide tire on. Find out what tires you want, then figure out the best offset to put the tires where you want them. Also.. those are very different tire sizes your considering. You’ll have some room to play with offset if you go with 33’s... but your offset with have to be bang on going with a much taller tire like 295/85/18.

Last edited:
OP

PAULY151

First Name
Paul
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are the same because there is other variables. A positive offset of 6 is different than a positive offset of 44. A wheel with an offset of 18 with an 11 inch wide tire won’t be in the same place as the same wheel with a 13.5 inch wide tire on. Find out what tires you want, then figure out the best offset to put the tires where you want them. Also.. those are very different tire sizes your considering. You’ll have some room to play with offset if you go with 33’s... but your offset with have to be bang on going with a much taller tire like 295/85/18.
That was a typo. My choices are 275,70,18 or 285,70,17.
So if i go with either of these tires, what offset do i go with if wanting tires to stick out approx 2 in.

OP

PAULY151

First Name
Paul
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tons of threads on this. But in a nutshell the factory wheels are 7.5" wide and +44.45mm offset.

So, any added width to the wheel is going to push your outside tire sidewall outboard. And, any reduction in offset will do the same.

By the time you get to a 8.5" width wheel and +25 offset, you're even with the fender. +18 offset and lower you start going outside the fender. -12 and beyond and now you're getting into "skate board" or "R/C truck" territory.
So if im going with a 9in width , do i go with a -12 to put me a 1 or2 inch out

Advertisement

Hothead Headliners

Advertisement