Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Hello,

I can't find the answer to this elsewhere, but if I missed it I apologize.

I have yet to hook up my Tazer JL Mini and "Marry" it to my Jeep. I understand that it takes a copy of the current programming and stores it in the Tazer, so that it can be unmarried/returned to stock for dealer visits, etc.

My question is can this "backup" that resides in the Tazer be exported to my computer for safekeeping? What if the Tazer dies while it's married and the only copy of the original programming is lost in the Tazer? I'm sure it's rare, but I'd hate to lose the only copy of the original Jeep programming if something were to happen.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Hello,

I can't find the answer to this elsewhere, but if I missed it I apologize.

I have yet to hook up my Tazer JL Mini and "Marry" it to my Jeep. I understand that it takes a copy of the current programming and stores it in the Tazer, so that it can be unmarried/returned to stock for dealer visits, etc.

My question is can this "backup" that resides in the Tazer be exported to my computer for safekeeping? What if the Tazer dies while it's married and the only copy of the original programming is lost in the Tazer? I'm sure it's rare, but I'd hate to lose the only copy of the original Jeep programming if something were to happen.

Thanks!
@Chupacabra

After reading your post, I do believe you are unnecessarily worrying ..... do more research in regard to the Tazer JL .....research, how it works, what it does, when to unmarry and such....> Armed with this info you will fret less.

With that said, install the Z Automotive Programming Utility (ZPU) and give it a good look over... That utility facilitates such saving and reloading and more.

SOooo, If you have a laptop with the ZAutomotive utility on it, you can take the laptop out to the JL/JLU and connect the laptop to the installed Tazer JL with the ZAutomotive provided data cable. After the cable is connected, with JL not started/not running... Ignition button push to RUN.

Now, using the ZPU utility – click “configure” then “utilities” and then do a BCM READ and save it as a file to your laptop. (On your laptop for future use / to upload back in the future, should you desire to do so)

After doing the file save, you can unmarry, and when you’re ready – marry, and do a BCM write, writing back the file you saved.

Doing this is a time saver. Also, allows you to save different BCM read files with say different configurations.

OP
OP
Chupacabra

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
@Chupacabra

After reading your post, I do believe you are unnecessarily worrying ..... do more research in regard to the Tazer JL .....research, how it works, what it does, when to unmarry and such....> Armed with this info you will fret less.

With that said, install the Z Automotive Programming Utility (ZPU) and give it a good look over... That utility facilitates such saving and reloading and more.

SOooo, If you have a laptop with the ZAutomotive utility on it, you can take the laptop out to the JL/JLU and connect the laptop to the installed Tazer JL with the ZAutomotive provided data cable. After the cable is connected, with JL not started/not running... Ignition button push to RUN.

Now, using the ZPU utility – click “configure” then “utilities” and then do a BCM READ and save it as a file to your laptop. (On your laptop for future use / to upload back in the future, should you desire to do so)

After doing the file save, you can unmarry, and when you’re ready – marry, and do a BCM write, writing back the file you saved.

Doing this is a time saver. Also, allows you to save different BCM read files with say different configurations.

Thank you, I think that will alleviate my concerns about losing the original programming of my Jeep in a worst case scenario. I am just going to be using it to lower my TPMS threshold, update my turn signals to LED, enable DRLs, etc. I do not plan to use it in "Live" mode at this time.

EbyCreek

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392
Occupation
ARMY (Retired)
@Chupacabra

Is it necessary to unmarry the Tazer for firmware updates?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Is it necessary to unmarry the Tazer for firmware updates?
@EbyCreek

It is prudent to always unmarry before you do a firmware update.. This is especially true if you are using the ZAutomotive, Mac utility.

Again, best bet is to always unmarry then do the firmware update.

Jeep Wrangler JL Backing up the Tazer? Capture- Back
Sponsored