Sponsored

Backed into a tree on trail and crunched the hardtop a bit. Any advice to fix this up?

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Welp, I was doing some last-light exploration down a spur near Zion National Park to mark a few campsites for next time when I hit a tight dead end on the mesa spur. I backed around but miscalculated and crunched into a thick branch. It's not cracked on the inside, but the two cracks here are pretty gnarly and if you push on them you can hear crunchy fiberglass.

Now I know from the whole Bronco hardtop fiasco that exposed fiberglass will absorb water and bloat, so I'm curious what my course of action here is and if anyone's been through this before whether it be from a similar situation or worse. What do you think a fiberglass shop ballpark me for cost on something like this?

I was thinking of trying to just seal it up myself with some clear sealant but not sure how that'd pan out either as I've never worked with fiberglass and don't necessarily want to draw a ton of attention to it. I wheel this thing often so I'm not over here trying to touch up microscopic details, but this is my only vehicle and I want the hardtop to not turn into a permanently destroyed mess when it rains. Ugh - weird way to end a nice trip!

Jeep Wrangler JL Backed into a tree on trail and crunched the hardtop a bit. Any advice to fix this up? 280752140_312060667768565_7316589489477322043_n
Sponsored

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
I say you fill it with epoxy resin and touch it up...

BTW... from what I have seen online our hardtops are made with SMC (Sheet Molding Compound) .. here is a page with more details:

https://www.uti.edu/blog/collision/sheet-molding-compound

From that website:
What’s the difference: SMC vs. fiberglass?
SMC is a combination of glass-fiber and polyester material molded into panels using a compression process. Fiberglass is glass strands that are woven into cloth or matted together. The fiberglass matting or cloth is placed in a mold, then pure resin with a hardener is applied to form the part.

So I think is better if you get epoxy resin that is specifically made for SMC repair.. like this:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-08219-Fib...ocphy=9032050&hvtargid=pla-623685628967&psc=1

I found information about SMC hardtops while looking for ideas on how to convert my hardtop to a modular system... here is a link to someone to did the conversion of a JK so there is good information about working with a SMC hardtop:

https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...g-a-factory-jk-jku-hardtop-to-modular.160775/

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
If you go on Youtube, you can find fiberglass repair techniques. Basically, you need to grind out as much as possible without going through it. Then glass it, then do it from the inside as well. Grind all that down flush and paint. It sounds like a lot of work, but glass work goes fast. It's just dusty and itchy. Wear a mask for grinding and sanding it.

OP
OP
jessedacri

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you go on Youtube, you can find fiberglass repair techniques. Basically, you need to grind out as much as possible without going through it. Then glass it, then do it from the inside as well. Grind all that down flush and paint. It sounds like a lot of work, but glass work goes fast. It's just dusty and itchy. Wear a mask for grinding and sanding it.

hmm, may be outside of my wheelhouse but going to look into it a bit. I figure I'll get a quote from a couple shops and if it's not too bad I'll have them repair. If the price is crazy I'll kit up and try to do it myself. My main concern is getting the shape back to normal and the paint to a point where it doesn't look super DIY.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
hmm, may be outside of my wheelhouse but going to look into it a bit. I figure I'll get a quote from a couple shops and if it's not too bad I'll have them repair. If the price is crazy I'll kit up and try to do it myself. My main concern is getting the shape back to normal and the paint to a point where it doesn't look super DIY.
A good place to start would be a shop that specializes in Corvette repair. You don't want some downstream body shop that has no experience in fiberglass work.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Keep in mind that a used, good condition top is about a $2K item.

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Wear pants and a long sleeve shirt when sanding the fiberglass. I did some bodywork to my first motorcycle when I was 20. Went outside on a humid minnesota summer day is shorts and flip flops to sand down a bunch of fairings I fiberglassed. I was itchy for days lol, learned that one the hard way ?

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlUR White Rubi, 2022 Chevy 3500, 2016 27-5L
Occupation
Retired, Snowbird
Don't be afraid to check with a marine repair shop. They do a ton of fiberglass work.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Man I'd grind that out and repair it DIY style before dropping 2k to replace it. Hell if you were in TX i'd give it a whirl for ya for some beer.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jessedacri

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Man I'd grind that out and repair it DIY style before dropping 2k to replace it. Hell if you were in TX i'd give it a whirl for ya for some beer.
Is this really something people are thinking is going to cost in the $1500-2000 range? Man, I’ll dump some epoxy into it before I spend that on a crack.

Wish I was closer to TX!

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
I had a similar mishap, unfortunately. What did you eventually do for your repair?

OP
OP
jessedacri

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a similar mishap, unfortunately. What did you eventually do for your repair?

Took the top off for the summer and forgot all about it, lol. I just put the top back on in anticipation of a 5-day backcountry camping/wheeling trip in the High Sierras next week and was reminded of it as soon as I pulled out of the garage.

The vibe seems like the average repair is going to run $1k and hardtops are floating around on the used market (especially for 4 doors) for the $1200-1600 range. That puts me in the camp of probably waiting it out and doing a fix or replacement if things get worse than they currently are, as I really don't want to dump over a grand into what's currently cosmetic only. The cracks on mine don't fully penetrate into the interior, but are nonetheless pretty gnarly and are on the corners.

I haven't officially taken it anywhere yet, but now that the top's on I probably will see what the actual cost is. I feel like a self repair is a bit out of my abilities due to the fiberglass work and paint skills needed. At most, I might toss some sealant of some sort into the cracks if repair quotes come back high.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Took the top off for the summer and forgot all about it, lol. I just put the top back on in anticipation of a 5-day backcountry camping/wheeling trip in the High Sierras next week and was reminded of it as soon as I pulled out of the garage.

The vibe seems like the average repair is going to run $1k and hardtops are floating around on the used market (especially for 4 doors) for the $1200-1600 range. That puts me in the camp of probably waiting it out and doing a fix or replacement if things get worse than they currently are, as I really don't want to dump over a grand into what's currently cosmetic only. The cracks on mine don't fully penetrate into the interior, but are nonetheless pretty gnarly and are on the corners.

I haven't officially taken it anywhere yet, but now that the top's on I probably will see what the actual cost is. I feel like a self repair is a bit out of my abilities due to the fiberglass work and paint skills needed. At most, I might toss some sealant of some sort into the cracks if repair quotes come back high.
I would put sealant, smooth it out, and hide with some decals.

maybe pixeldecals have some stuff you like

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
oh, you can also look for a hard top with the rear glass missing, the rear glass is over $1,000, so chances are a hard top with a missing glass(broken) might go for dirt cheap.
Sponsored