Back window won’t stay up

OP
OP

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
I'm in similar situation (2019 JL 2 door). Right support bar fell off back window and obviously window will not stay up with just one arm. I thought a quick trip to dealership would be easy, uh no. According to the dealership, the support arm cannot be reattached to the window, the entire window has to be replaced. OK, took it back once window was ordered and in stock, but it was clear window, not tinted like original. So, there will be a third visit to get it repaired once the tinted window arrives. We'll see if that visit goes as planned.
What a waste of time and money. So what my whole window might have to be replaced? U can’t just remove the 2 arms and replace them?
Sponsored

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
I thought I was the only one with this problem because I’ve seen absolutely no one else post about it. I got my brand new Jeep two months ago and from day one I noticed that the rear window didn’t stay up all the way. I’ve got new struts waiting at the dealer under warranty, just waiting for the steering box to get in so I can have it all done at once.

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2 door
What a waste of time and money. So what my whole window might have to be replaced? U can’t just remove the 2 arms and replace them?
I was told by service manager they cannot reattach or replace the struts. Entire window has to be replaced. And, the tinted window is double the cost of clear window so they have to get additional approval for the warranty. It is bizarre.

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
I haven’t tried to take one off but the struts look like they can easily be replaced like any other vehicle.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Yeah, I would imagine they can't reattach the part that is glued/taped to the glass. If that is still attached, I don't see why they couldn't attach a new strut to it though. I haven't really looked to see if a one piece design though, but they rarely are.

Sponsored

Scooter269

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLUR & 2019 Wrangler JLU sport S
So on my 2020 Rubicon that only has 4 thousand miles on it, I am now on my 2nd rear window strut replacement. I found the OEM strut on quadratec and replaced the first one 2 months ago and now I assume the other one failed. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me, as this is my 5th wrangler and first one ever to have this problem. I ordered 2 more from quadratec and will replace them myself. Due to covid you have to make a appointment with the dealership and well im not willing to waste my time waiting around for a 20 dollar fix.

OP
OP

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine r good for now. I can’t get over how bad mine were now that I have fixed ones. Lol

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Are those of you that have this problem driving around with the rear window open?

I’ve noticed that since the wiper was moved to the bottom of the glass (vs the JK), the weight bias is moved which puts more stress on the struts and attachment points. After driving around a couple times with my rear window open, I gave up because it was noisy and bounced around too much. With my JK, I could drive all day with the window up and have no issues. I think struts with a higher weight rating my solve the problem.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Are those of you that have this problem driving around with the rear window open?

I’ve noticed that since the wiper was moved to the bottom of the glass (vs the JK), the weight bias is moved which puts more stress on the struts and attachment points. After driving around a couple times with my rear window open, I gave up because it was noisy and bounced around too much. With my JK, I could drive all day with the window up and have no issues. I think struts with a higher weight rating my solve the problem.
That's a great way to get carbon monoxide poisoning.

Jeepadoodle

First Name
Kerwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe
Never drove around with rear window open. As soon as cold weather hit, my struts also failed to keep window open and have to duck under. Went to dealership last week and now am waiting for replacement struts.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
That's a great way to get carbon monoxide poisoning.
Not with the Freedom panels off. It takes all of the turbulence away and let’s the air flow through.

OP
OP

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I wasn’t. Mine was broke from factory. That wiper weighs nothing though?

BlackEyeII

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 4cyl JLU Rubicon
We have a 2020 Wrangler Rubicon with just over 5k miles now and the back window will no longer stay up. Looks like we are "touched" by this wonderful gift as well.

I am starting to be a bit concerned overall with the jeep. 5k miles on it and thus far...

1. Steering issues : Replaced Steering box as a TSB fix
2. Issues twice now with warning lights going crazy (ABS/TractionControl/SwayBar/4WD all at once) : This is being called the Christmas lights issue, and it sounds like it may be a wheel speed sensor gone bad...
3. Failed rear window struts

I am kind of concerned that if I actually put a suspension lift in it that Chrysler will associate anything else that goes wrong with that modification.

Taking it in next week, hopefully to get 2/3 fixed.

Scooter269

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLUR & 2019 Wrangler JLU sport S
We have a 2020 Wrangler Rubicon with just over 5k miles now and the back window will no longer stay up. Looks like we are "touched" by this wonderful gift as well.

I am starting to be a bit concerned overall with the jeep. 5k miles on it and thus far...

1. Steering issues : Replaced Steering box as a TSB fix
2. Issues twice now with warning lights going crazy (ABS/TractionControl/SwayBar/4WD all at once) : This is being called the Christmas lights issue, and it sounds like it may be a wheel speed sensor gone bad...
3. Failed rear window struts

I am kind of concerned that if I actually put a suspension lift in it that Chrysler will associate anything else that goes wrong with that modification.

Taking it in next week, hopefully to get 2/3 fixed.
what was your steering doing?
My steering linkage on the inside of the vehicle makes a clicking noise when rotating. Trying to figure out what it is. But I def hear you on the issues I’m chasing several down myself

BlackEyeII

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 4cyl JLU Rubicon
what was your steering doing?
My steering linkage on the inside of the vehicle makes a clicking noise when rotating. Trying to figure out what it is. But I def hear you on the issues I’m chasing several down myself
There were other things but the main thing that was a bit scary is that the steering wouldn't unwind when turning right. Left was ok, but right would put you in a ditch if you weren't ready for it.

There is still a lot to love about the Jeep and we haven't by any means given up, the steering is better now, and hopefully we will sort this wheelspeed or other sensor issue out soon. The rear window struts isn't super concerning as we all know that is something we can fix easily with aftermarket struts. It is just a bummer.

We took the kids with there sleds up to the local mountains last weekend and up into the snow, and had a great time sledding down a long path with nobody else around. That is pretty priceless...
Sponsored