Back Window Blowout @ 70mph on Highway.

nojp

First Name
jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler 2 door sports S
So I'm going down I 35 MN windows up and I Hear a loud bang ( not quite gunshot loud but close ) and I look up to see what use to be the back window hitting the cars behind me. The only thing left are what used to be glued to it, Wiper, spray nozzle, lift struts etc. No warning no prior damage no load on the hardtop nothing.

Anyone have this happen or hear of it happening?

Dealer will take 2 weeks to get the window and who knows about warranty? They are looking into it. Park Chrysler Jeep Burnsville, Minnesota

On the way up I got the windshield stared with a solid rock hit so i thought I was good for that trip.

IMG_9269.jpg

IMG_9263.jpg

359421-430-38.jpg
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Yep, it has happened a few times. Sometimes glass has crazy stress defects, they'll get it fixed for you. I hope nobody was hurt.

BCalvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JLU, 1996 Porsche 993, 2007 Hummer H3
Happens all the time on Porsche's from the rear defroster shorting out or causing uneven stress..

Im 90% certain it was your defroster that caused that.

ChadT

First Name
CHAD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUR, 2017 JKR Lots of mods
Not a Jeep but earlier this year the sunroof in my 2019 Accord blew out like that one morning on the way to work. It does seem to happen to tempered glass at times i guess.

Sponsored

Steven

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4x4
Occupation
Dad
I used to replace auto glass for a living and it does seem to just happen randomly. Some folks blame rocks, bb guns, the heat, the cold, the damn commies, or those evil bastards on the other side of the isle. Regardless of why, it's easy to fix and clean up.

Also, if you don't want to hassle with the dealership, try swinging by your local Safelite (or equivalent). It should only cost up to your deductable and can usually get fixed faster than the dealers can schedule it.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Myron

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler, 1964 Land Rover SIIA 88
Hasn't happened to my Jeep, but I did have this happen in an '86 Saab 900 once. Going about 55-60 and all of a sudden, bang! Thought someone had taken a shot at me. The rear window in that car is about 1.5 acres of glass, very curvy, and heated. About 100 million little diamond bits of broken glass blew into the car. Just age and stress on the pane, was all I could ever figure.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
A few months ago, one of the forum members had this happen to him and finally posted about it after the third incident. As I recall, the vendor who had installed the rear glass replacement had incorrectly centered the glass.

Sponsored

OP
OP
nojp

nojp

First Name
jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update;

Park Chrysler Jeep replaced the glass under warranty. They did a great job, great outcome!

TeresaF

First Name
Teresa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
This just happened to me this morning!!! I have a 2020 JLU and i was sitting at a stop light when it literally exploded!!! It was crazy!! Did you get any kind of resolution from Chrysler? My dealer gave me the same spiel.
*I should have read farther, calling Chrysler now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nojp

nojp

First Name
jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This just happened to me this morning!!! I have a 2020 JLU and i was sitting at a stop light when it literally exploded!!! It was crazy!! Did you get any kind of resolution from Chrysler? My dealer gave me the same spiel.
Yes they covered it under warranty. They took a few days to come to the decision and 2 weeks for the part to come in. They should cover it for you I think Jeep is aware of this issue.

Deleted member 53226

What the heck man. This should not happen on a new $40-50,000 truck. Just think of the liability issues for the driver if that shattered glass causes a 10 car pile up behind you if it hit or startled the drivers following behind. FCA should consider itself lucky so far!
Sponsored