Back up warning sensors going off.

2500 hd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR.
I just mounted a 35 with aftermarket wheel on the back of my Rubicon.
Now, every time I backup, the warning sensor beeps.
Is there any way to reset it for a larger tire ?
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I had the same problem. Tried a few things but what resolved it for me was replacing the factory tire carrier with a Teraflex alpha hd spare tire carrier. It was only marginally more than the mopar relocation bracket but allowed me to raise the tire AND tuck it in closer to the tailgate.

Unfortunately I didn’t get around to doing it until after my wife backed into a car. Now I have a scuffed up bumper and nicked paint on the body.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'm assuming you still have the factory carrier in play. It's designed specifically for the factory wheel width and offset. Your new wheel is no doubt wider and has either a less positive or even a negative offset. Also, the new tire is more than likely wider.

This all combined will result in much more wheel and tire showing up in the backup camera image, along with it being more readily picked up by the bumper sensors. Also, the spare is probably sitting further from the gate and not pressed firmly into the rubber bumpers which help prevent the spare from any unwanted and potentially damaging movement.

I always recommend an adjustable carrier, as it will fix all spare related issues. It can be adjusted to accommodate different tire heights and widths and different wheel offsets, the spare will be properly supported against unwanted movement, and the camera gets relocated further out to regain most of the viewing angle. Between the camera shift and the ability to raise the spare a little further from the rear bumper, the false alerts will stop. Money well spent, in my humble opinion.

One trick you could try, is to clock the valve stem as high up as possible. If it's below the height centerline, it could be what's triggering the alerts.

QC22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURR
Just turn off the Park Sensor. Done.

Sponsored

OP
OP
2500 hd

2500 hd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR.
I'm assuming you still have the factory carrier in play. It's designed specifically for the factory wheel width and offset. Your new wheel is no doubt wider and has either a less positive or even a negative offset. Also, the new tire is more than likely wider.

This all combined will result in much more wheel and tire showing up in the backup camera image, along with it being more readily picked up by the bumper sensors. Also, the spare is probably sitting further from the gate and not pressed firmly into the rubber bumpers which help prevent the spare from any unwanted and potentially damaging movement.

I always recommend an adjustable carrier, as it will fix all spare related issues. It can be adjusted to accommodate different tire heights and widths and different wheel offsets, the spare will be properly supported against unwanted movement, and the camera gets relocated further out to regain most of the viewing angle. Between the camera shift and the ability to raise the spare a little further from the rear bumper, the false alerts will stop. Money well spent, in my humble opinion.

One trick you could try, is to clock the valve stem as high up as possible. If it's below the height centerline, it could be what's triggering the alerts.
What adjustable carrier would you recommend ? Thanks

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What adjustable carrier would you recommend ? Thanks
For 35's, the Teraflex Alpha HD carrier is a great option. It provides both height and depth adjustments, is stronger than the factory plastic carrier, is a minimally invasive part to swap out, and it only costs a bit over $300.

If you foresee any chance of going with 37's or larger down the road, a hinged carrier would be best. Obviously cost goes up and it's a more invasive (but not beyond doing on your driveway with simple hand tools) installation, but it's well worth it. I'm a firm believer in the importance of the supportive parts. They help prevent collateral damage while adding longevity.

Here's a couple of pics...

Factory wheels wrapped in 315/70-17 bfgoodrich ko2's on the spare carrier and than the Alpha HD set to the highest position to maximize rear departure angle...
Jeep Wrangler JL Back up warning sensors going off. 20190827_132900_resized
Jeep Wrangler JL Back up warning sensors going off. 20200423_092808_resized_20220424-123111

KMC 17x9 wheels with -12mm offset wrapped in 38x13.5's on the Alpha HD. This heavier combo is when I started getting more rattles and started noticing that the factory hinges were the weak point...
Jeep Wrangler JL Back up warning sensors going off. 20200813_083632_resized

Same wheel and tire combo on the Cavfab Elite hinged carrier, also set to the highest position for maximum ground clearance and departure angle...
Jeep Wrangler JL Back up warning sensors going off. 20210117_135551_resized

And finally as it sits right now. Same wheel and carrier, but with 40x13.5's...
Jeep Wrangler JL Back up warning sensors going off. 20220305_101550_resized_20220424-124356

No exaggerating, I can hang my 180lb bodyweight off of the open tailgate and still not get any movement other than from the suspension. This Cavfab Elite hinged reinforcement and adjustable carrier is phenomenally strong!

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
totally having tire envy right now...

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info Headbarcode...
I think I will get the Alpha..
No problem, Mark.

Just a suggestion, but some before and after pics of your spare would make a great topper for this thread. We'd all be interested to see your Jeep, and it would serve as a great reference for the next guy or gal.

Cheers, buddy!

OP
OP
2500 hd

2500 hd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR.
No problem, Mark.

Just a suggestion, but some before and after pics of your spare would make a great topper for this thread. We'd all be interested to see your Jeep, and it would serve as a great reference for the next guy or gal.

Cheers, buddy!
Good idea, I will do that..
I'm not much of a mechanic so this will probably test out my skill set...

Cheers..

Last edited:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Good idea, I will do that..
I'm not much of a mechanic so this will probably test out my skill set...

Cheers..
Installation of the Teraflex Alpha only requires simple hand tools. When it arrives, go through the hardware and see what tools you may have to add to your collection, so that you have everything in place and no hang-ups during the install.

It's a very easy, straightforward install and so is adjusting it to your specific wheels backspacing. It has 3 height positions. Just for reference, here's a pic of my 315/70-17 (smaller metric equivalent of a 35x12.5) bfgoodrich ko2 on the highest position. It was taken from a crouched position to show the space between the tire and the factory steel rear bumper. Maybe it'll help you when deciding on the right height for yourself.
Jeep Wrangler JL Back up warning sensors going off. 20200423_092815_resized

The pics i posted previously were taken from a standing position and better show how much window is blocked.

Dudley Dawson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
How would the valve stem orientation affect the sensors in the bumper? I’ve recently had mine start going nuts too (35s on factory carrier). Will give repositioning a try - just curious. Mine are recessed into the wheel a good bit.
Sponsored