Sponsored

Back-up safety beeping with towed trailer?

nerp

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
interface.ninja
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Software Architect / Security Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
When towing a trailer and putting the Jeep in reverse, the safety monitor beeps uncontrollably and makes sounds as if threatening to explode. It seems the whole car thinks I'm going to slam right into the back of that trailer. Doesn't it know there's a rigid bar between me and the trailer? Jeep Assist people said that the safety feature would be disabled when towing if the trailer was properly plugged in. I asked if there was an indication on the dash or anywhere that the Jeep knows I'm towing ... the answer was "no."

Hmmm. A little icon on the dash would be nice. "Tow Mode" would be cooler: turn on a 60 Mph warning, turn off the annoying backup sensor, etc...

Has anyone else seen this problem, or is Jeep Connect correctly in saying that there must be something wrong with my tow harness/connection?
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Do you have the OEM tow harness / tow package?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Well, I don't have the safety group because I can't stand that beeping sound and I will always look behind me before I back up anyway, but I would tend to believe them that it should disable that feature when a trailer is plugged in. Perhaps only the 7 pin works, if you are using the 4. I'm just guessing at this point.

AJ CJ5

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 CJ5, 2020 JLUR, Harley Road Glide ST & FXFBS
Occupation
Explosives.
My Grand Cherokee 2017 does the same. It’s not designed to work with a trailer. Simply turn your parking sensors off when towing as I do.
Sponsored