Back in the Jeep family. . . . . almost

MichaelR

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Well I made the leap into a wrangler last year and went beyond my expertise with my mods. In the end, I was never happy with my Jeep once it was lifted. I ended up stepping out of the family for a bit. Fast forward to a year later, present time, I paid a deposit on a 2020 Rubicon and will transform cosmetic stuff but will DEFINITELY leave the suspension alone!! If you'll take me back!!!
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome back and congratulations!

Yeah, live and learn, huh?

Although I’ve owned many Wranglers, I too am leaving this one pretty much alone.

OP
OP

MichaelR

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I began with a cheap Rough Country lift, then went with the Mopar. . . in the end, I deemed both unsafe to drive, couple alignments, talking with everyone I thought could direct me and still no resolution. I simply gave up and have missed my Jeep every day since. Going Rubicon this time so little more aggressive look from factory, not changing tire size and I'm going to be happy!! And cheaper!!! LOL

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I’m surprised you had issues with the Mopar lift. I had that lift on three JKs and never had an alignment —or for that matter, a death wobble issue.

I’ve owned a mix of Rubicons and Saharas in the past. I went with Sahara this time. You can now fit 33” tires without any issue. And I wanted Selec-Trac: had it on my 1995 and 2001 Grand Cherokees and absolutely loved it!

Good luck.

cat=108&_nc_ohc=g_59wfOFlUcAQmEyEp_w0lKLI4Pe6ykOMrdyJwLVVxKIxpr1xQN3Y9jFA&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

mysto

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Grey 2 door JL Rubicon
I have a similar plan. I feel that any tire in that 31-32" range is a good compromise between streetable and offroad. 35's LOOK great though, maybe when the stock tires wear out. :) mmmm 37's, wait...

Sponsored

wahlsaint

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6MT; Macan Turbo; Li'l Cooper; Subee, CR-V
I’m surprised you had issues with the Mopar lift. I had that lift on three JKs and never had an alignment —or for that matter, a death wobble issue.

I’ve owned a mix of Rubicons and Saharas in the past. I went with Sahara this time. You can now fit 33” tires without any issue. And I wanted Selec-Trac: had it on my 1995 and 2001 Grand Cherokees and absolutely loved it!

Good luck.

cat=108&_nc_ohc=g_59wfOFlUcAQmEyEp_w0lKLI4Pe6ykOMrdyJwLVVxKIxpr1xQN3Y9jFA&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg
Cool pic!

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Went with Jeep JLU Sport...factory suspension. I upgraded the tires to 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers...which I think are really more like 34's. No issues at all. They are fantastic.

OP
OP

MichaelR

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I took delivery just over a week ago. To solidify my decision, made two road trips. Love the ride. Love being back in a Jeep and constantly get compliments on the color!!!

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
Where's the pictures?

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Couldnt you have just undone all the stuff you added to the first one?

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
I began with a cheap Rough Country lift, then went with the Mopar. . . in the end, I deemed both unsafe to drive, couple alignments, talking with everyone I thought could direct me and still no resolution. I simply gave up and have missed my Jeep every day since. Going Rubicon this time so little more aggressive look from factory, not changing tire size and I'm going to be happy!! And cheaper!!! LOL
You should be very happy. Unless you specifically need more clearance off-road - the stock Rubicon on KO2 33s can pretty much do anything most people need it to do. The tires and suspension setup and components are really quite dialed in from factory as is. So at this point we see no need to change up what works pretty much spot on for us.

The fundamental key for us was getting all tires to grip and go when we needed - so the Rubicon was the easy choice. So far the off-road ride has completely exceeded our expectations and grip in snow has been everything we have needed. Key was to air down to 18 and just allow the suspension to work its magic at speed. Like this the driving dynamics are second to none over ruts and potholes. The ride really is amazing - and you become unfazed by the drops and hits.

Other 4x4s have to move out of the way - as they get bounced silly from too stiff tires and too stiff suspension components at speed. You can see their chassis is just not setup for that. Whereas the Rubicon with C load tires is near perfectly suited. Def sweetness.

Last edited:

PA JLUR

First Name
Cos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Good move on leaving suspension alone. IMO a stock JLUR is the most capable SUV ever made. Additional lift is only necessary for extreme off roading or if you just want a cooler look at the expense of fuel economy, ride comfort, and safety on paved roads. Enjoy your new ride!

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Good move on leaving suspension alone. IMO a stock JLUR is the most capable SUV ever made. Additional lift is only necessary for extreme off roading or if you just want a cooler look at the expense of fuel economy, ride comfort, and safety on paved roads. Enjoy your new ride!
Yep driving dynamics is more important for us as very little time is actually spent crawling over huge obstacles. As well we really like the 4.10 ratio with the 33s.
Sponsored