Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
**CAUTION*** Today, I used my 1st free oil change from the Jeep Wave Program. Usually I'd do something this simple myself, but it was free. I went to Earnhardt in Gilbert where I purchased my JLU and also my JKU 6 years earlier. Never had an issue with this dealership.

But from other JL owners experiences with their oil changes, I already had the knowledge that the 3.6L in the JL isnt exactly the same as the 3.6L in the JK, namely the oil capacity. The JL takes 1 quart less than the JK (5q vs 6qt).

Upon receiving my Jeep, I viewed over the receipt and it states that 6 quarts were added. I verified that with the service tech and also pulled the dipstick. Sure enough, it was overfilled. This platform has been out for a year and the service department had no idea that the oil capacity was any different than earlier models. I had to have the manager research the capacities on his computer to verify the change. It's a shame that a dealership isnt aware of the details of the product they sell. They took my Jeep back to correct the issue.

So be advised all JL owners, make sure before leaving the dealership that your 3.6L hasn't been mistaken for the JK 3.6L during an oil change.
Sponsored

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
@ 4nxaz

Hey Tim, if you want to stay within the Earnhardt system, try the new dealership in Queen Creek ... Rodeo CDJR on Ellsworth Rd. They just opened up a few months ago and are focused on establishing a good working relationship with customers. Something the Gilbert store could care less about. Rodeo is the store that worked with me to fix my loose steering. Because they are so new, some growing hiccups might occur, but the management attitude is fantastic. They are the first Phoenix area dealership that has allowed me to go back in the shop and talk to the mechanic working on my Jeep.

OP
OP
4xnaz

4xnaz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
@ 4nxaz

Hey Tim, if you want to stay within the Earnhardt system, try the new dealership in Queen Creek ... Rodeo CDJR on Ellsworth Rd. They just opened up a few months ago and are focused on establishing a good working relationship with customers. Something the Gilbert store could care less about. Rodeo is the store that worked with me to fix my loose steering. Because they are so new, some growing hiccups might occur, but the management attitude is fantastic. They are the first Phoenix area dealership that has allowed me to go back in the shop and talk to the mechanic working on my Jeep.
I live in north Mesa, so it's already a hike, just to get to Gilbert. But after today's experience I might just drive across state lines for good customer service.

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
**CAUTION*** Today, I used my 1st free oil change from the Jeep Wave Program. Usually I'd do something this simple myself, but it was free. I went to Earnhardt in Gilbert where I purchased my JLU and also my JKU 6 years earlier. Never had an issue with this dealership.

But from other JL owners experiences with their oil changes, I already had the knowledge that the 3.6L in the JL isnt exactly the same as the 3.6L in the JK, namely the oil capacity. The JL takes 1 quart less than the JK (5q vs 6qt).

Upon receiving my Jeep, I viewed over the receipt and it states that 6 quarts were added. I verified that with the service tech and also pulled the dipstick. Sure enough, it was overfilled. This platform has been out for a year and the service department had no idea that the oil capacity was any different than earlier models. I had to have the manager research the capacities on his computer to verify the change. It's a shame that a dealership isnt aware of the details of the product they sell. They took my Jeep back to correct the issue.

So be advised all JL owners, make sure before leaving the dealership that your 3.6L hasn't been mistaken for the JK 3.6L during an oil change.

Thanks for this, I just purchased my first jeep from them about 3 weeks ago, and plan on returning to the dealer for service through the wave program once my first change comes due.

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Wow. Good to know, I bought my Jeep from them too. But they are far from my hood so just did the free oil change a few days ago at a nearby Larry Miller. Receipt says 5. :dance:

Sponsored

StephanieW

First Name
Stephanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
We were planning on taking ours to Earnhardt in Gilbert on Saturday for the oil change. Maybe we will check out Rodeo in QC. Thanks for the heads up!

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
dang it. I'm going to go back and see my receipt to check how many they put it. I did not know this! THANK YOU.

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
I stopped by the Queen Creek store this morning to schedule the "Taming of the Fan" TSB. While there, I asked one of the service writers if he'd check with the oil change guys to see if they knew the fill volume of the 2018 JL 3.6 engine. He came back and told me they said 5 quarts. He stated that the guys said they check on their computer for the correct oil type and volume for each vehicle that they service. Then he added that the Gilbert store had told them that the 2018 JL 3.6 engine needed six quarts of oil. Hmmm.

Last edited:
OP
OP
4xnaz

4xnaz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Well, let's try this again. Back at the dealership to see what they can do about my steering. The steering wheel is loose with a few inches of play to the left or right of center without any response from the tires. Immediately they pointed to my lift and tires as a possible issue and may not be a warranty work request. If found not to be a warranty issue, they want to charge me $140 for diagnostics. I'll have updates once I hear back from them but I'm seriously disappointed in Earnhardt's customer service.

OkieMizzou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Crystal JLUR, 2001 Jeep TJ, 2013 Ram 2500 6.7L, 1991 Harley FXLR
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Earnhardt Chrysler/Jeep in Gilbert. Idiots, plain and simple. Take your business elsewhere if you can.

Sponsored

djmason9

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bitcowsStickers.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4 door Rubi, 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia
Vehicle Showcase
this is a disappointment to hear since that is the closets dealer to my house. How would i know if there is too much oil in my jeep? I got my first oil change a few months ago but i didn't look to see how much they put in.

UPDATE: I see that a lot of dealers have been doing this. So my advice is to mention this to your dealer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
4xnaz

4xnaz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
this is a disappointment to hear since that is the closets dealer to my house. How would i know if there is too much oil in my jeep? I got my first oil change a few months ago but i didn't look to see how much they put in.

UPDATE: I see that a lot of dealers have been doing this. So my advice is to mention this to your dealer.
My 1st clue was the receipt. It stated that 6 quarts were added and not 5. I then confirmed that with the service tech who also said that 6 quarts were added. And finally, I checked the dipstick and the oil indicator was showing above the hash marks.

Chonch

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
I have to agree with a bad experience with EarnHardt. I was initally going to buy from them, but when they treated me like a dipshit, when i questioned prices etc. my salesman got irritated and treated me poorly. I was forced to go to Autonation in north phoenix to get the best deal i could find. I have bought a few cars from autonation previously so i have had nothing but good experience, even tho i have heard horror stories. I am bringing my jeep to them on sat to look at wandering steering and loose on center steering, Hopefully they will try to at least fix it and not tell me nothing is wrong. Its bone stock and has 1300 miles. If i get nothing from them i will try the Queen Creek location I suppose. thanks for the info on here guys.

05mustangman

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Shelby GT500, 2003 Ford Lightning
I have to agree with a bad experience with EarnHardt. I was initally going to buy from them, but when they treated me like a dipshit, when i questioned prices etc. my salesman got irritated and treated me poorly. I was forced to go to Autonation in north phoenix to get the best deal i could find. I have bought a few cars from autonation previously so i have had nothing but good experience, even tho i have heard horror stories. I am bringing my jeep to them on sat to look at wandering steering and loose on center steering, Hopefully they will try to at least fix it and not tell me nothing is wrong. Its bone stock and has 1300 miles. If i get nothing from them i will try the Queen Creek location I suppose. thanks for the info on here guys.
Do you remember who you dealt with at Earnhardt? I'm going to be going to them soon to place my order with CJ, and supposedly they do 5% under invoice. I'm hoping that's still the case. No one in the west valley will go under invoice at all.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
I just ordered my JLUR from CJ and he is still doing 5% under invoice on ordered units, not on in-stock Jeeps. I mentioned JLWranglerforums to him and he didn't argue one bit when I brought up 5% under. He was great to deal with, just asked me what I wanted to order and took me for a test drive in a 18 JLUR with the V6/8spd. Problem is.....he's guessing 10-12 weeks for the V6 to arrive. Jeep must be really pushing the 2.0 and the V6 gets "non-priority" build spots.
Sponsored