Sponsored

Axle upgrade for 2020 Rubicon JLU with 37" tires?

RidgeRider

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I was contemplating an axle upgrade for my 2020 Rubicon JLU with 37" tires. Searching for a view on the Dana Spicer 44 Nickel Chromoly vs the RCV Dana 44 substitute didn't reveal any hits so thought I would ask here. Thanks
Sponsored

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
I was contemplating an axle upgrade for my 2020 Rubicon JLU with 37" tires. Searching for a view on the Dana Spicer 44 Nickel Chromoly vs the RCV Dana 44 substitute didn't reveal any hits so thought I would ask here. Thanks
If 37" is all you are going to run, why not just weld an axel trust and forget about it?
The stock axles should be fine with 37"s. With axle trust they are going to be even stronger

However if you run bigger tires later than yeah! Dynatrac ProRock XD60 for the win :D

ML7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Get an upgraded axle shaft would be enough, I got the Chromoly Dana AdvanTek rear shafts for my rig.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Bob

I think I read @MarkY3130 did RCVs front and Chomolys rear. May want to reach out to him for some feedback.

Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Bob

I think I read @MarkY3130 did RCVs front and Chomolys rear. May want to reach out to him for some feedback.
Thanks for the tag.

I do run Dana chromoly in the rear and RCV (2 piece) in the front. My stock rears were twisted, but not too bad, when I changed them out. The fronts seemed fine when I pulled them.

So far so good on this setup with 37’s. Only been about 13 months, 15,000 miles, and I think I just counted 28 trails. Number 29 this coming weekend.

The two things I’ve noticed are increased peace of mind and the advantages of a CV joint up front. You don’t even really feel that the front locker is engaged anymore. It’s really smooth locked up which gives me confidence I’m not going to snap the shaft. (If you’ve locked up with u-joints with the wheel turned full lock you know what I’m talking about)

If you have any specific question I’m happy to try and answer.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I've got the Dana Advantek chromoly shafts in front and rear. Haven't had any issues with either of them. I'm running 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers.

For the fronts, the Dana chromo shafts do not replace the inner shaft (from FAD to pumpkin). As of now (or until it breaks), it doesn't bother me. On a front axle, the common failure point is the yoke ears and/or u-joints. In my experience, I have yet to see an inner shaft twist at the splines. I would guess that it's happened, but my Jeep doesn't make nearly enough power for me to think this would be a weak point. The Dana's have larger than stock yokes and 1410 u-joints. I went with the FAD delete version and this includes a longer and larger collar to mate the shafts together and gets rid of the brittle plastic bushing at the end of the inner shaft. With the FAD delete, I haven't experienced any virbations or harmonic noises, unlike some have reported with the one piece RCV shafts.

I did a thread on my install, but here's some pics of the front shafts vs. stock:

Jeep Wrangler JL Axle upgrade for 2020 Rubicon JLU with 37" tires? thumbnail_IMG_0262
Jeep Wrangler JL Axle upgrade for 2020 Rubicon JLU with 37" tires? thumbnail_IMG_0263
Jeep Wrangler JL Axle upgrade for 2020 Rubicon JLU with 37" tires? thumbnail_IMG_0264
Jeep Wrangler JL Axle upgrade for 2020 Rubicon JLU with 37" tires? thumbnail_IMG_0268
Sponsored