Axle Swap on JLU Sport

StngrayVA89

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I'm going to start off with i bought a JLU Sport as the JLUR's are insanely priced right now and with the specific color and extras i wanted it was hard to find a JLUR.. That said i have already spent what it would have cost to buy the JLUR (my wife doesn't know that..yet).

I am waiting to put on some 37's along with a 3.5" RK X factor kit, with Fox Performance 2.0 Res shocks, and gear to 4.88. I have already spoken with a couple of you (@Roky and @hoag4147) who have been extremely helpful. After listening to the guys and doing some of my own research, I've realized that swapping axles may be more beneficial than attempting to see what happens on the Dana 30/35s. Thus id like to know everyone's opinions, should i swap to the Mopar Dana 44s M210/220, and gear to 4.88, or should i go even further? For reference, i do not plan on doing any rock crawling or extreme off-roading. This is my DD, and will be used on trails and mud in Florida.
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I'm going to start off with i bought a JLU Sport as the JLUR's are insanely priced right now and with the specific color and extras i wanted it was hard to find a JLUR.. That said i have already spent what it would have cost to buy the JLUR (my wife doesn't know that..yet).

I am waiting to put on some 37's along with a 3.5" RK X factor kit, with Fox Performance 2.0 Res shocks, and gear to 4.88. I have already spoken with a couple of you (@Roky and @hoag4147) who have been extremely helpful. After listening to the guys and doing some of my own research, I've realized that swapping axles may be more beneficial than attempting to see what happens on the Dana 30/35s. Thus id like to know everyone's opinions, should i swap to the Mopar Dana 44s M210/220, and gear to 4.88, or should i go even further? For reference, i do not plan on doing any rock crawling or extreme off-roading. This is my DD, and will be used on trails and mud in Florida.
If you can find a good deal on some rubicon take-offs I would go that route. Otherwise with your use case I might be inclined to just gear your factory axles. The only caveat is that if you do get more into off-roading down the road you will need to think about an axle swap.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon

Are you doing the work? If so, chuck some gears in it and see how that goes. If you're paying for it, don't bother and just get some take off 44s.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Axle swap. A set of Rubicon takeoff D44s makes a lot of sense, especially if you find some geared to 4.88 or 5.13 since you’re going to 37s.

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
I vote rubicon axles. But unless you find a set for great price geared whatever you want them to be geared (saw a set recently), go with new crate axles. Surprisingly they might be the almost the same price as used. People very rarely change axles before abusing the ones they have.

Sponsored

OP
OP
StngrayVA89

StngrayVA89

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
If you can find a good deal on some rubicon take-offs I would go that route. Otherwise with your use case I might be inclined to just gear your factory axles. The only caveat is that if you do get more into off-roading down the road you will need to think about an axle swap.
I appreciate the input, this is what i gathered to. Seems to be the more feasible option at the moment as well.

Are you doing the work? If so, chuck some gears in it and see how that goes. If you're paying for it, don't bother and just get some take off 44s.
I currently dont have the space or tools to do it myself, i mulled it over the weekend and im going to go with takeoff 44s

I vote rubicon axles. But unless you find a set for great price geared whatever you want them to be geared (saw a set recently), go with new crate axles. Surprisingly they might be the almost the same price as used. People very rarely change axles before abusing the ones they have.
This has been my main concern between buying crates or takeoffs. I am going to see what the market in my area yields. If i can get some takeoffs with the gear i want i think ill just go with those and hope they arent too messed up. I live in florida so i would imagine other than trails and mudding they wouldnt be overly banged up.

Morris4x4

First Name
Morris 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.morris4x4center.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, '13 JK
JLR/JLUR axles seem to be a lot more available on FB/CG/etc... Personally, I would find some take-offs and utilize those, especially for your application. You can always add-on (truss, chromoly axles, etc) should you want to get into more aggressive stuff but have a better peace of mind.

-Julia

4x4snowmachinejeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler 4xe White
Occupation
Travel Industry
I am thinking about the same thing I have a diesel sport and would like to buy crate only, so will I be able install the electronics on the dash or what's the options, what about bigger brakes etc?

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Some of these crate axles are priced real good here, a Rear D44 Rubicon crate is $1123 w/ $60 fedex ground shipping (only 1 remaining however), even some rear Dana 70s going for some pretty good pricing although I have no idea what extra fabrication, brackets, etc would be req'd to get them to work on a JL. Also from the pics it looks like axles might not be included, have to verify all that prior to order confirmation.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...drivetrain,axle+/+differential+assembly,15226

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
Some of these crate axles are priced real good here, a Rear D44 Rubicon crate is $1123 w/ $60 fedex ground shipping (only 1 remaining however), even some rear Dana 70s going for some pretty good pricing although I have no idea what extra fabrication, brackets, etc would be req'd to get them to work on a JL. Also from the pics it looks like axles might not be included, have to verify all that prior to order confirmation.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...drivetrain,axle+/+differential+assembly,15226
That's crazy good price for the rear! too bad I already have mine :)

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
That's crazy good price for the rear! too bad I already have mine :)
Yeah, can't even get a re-gear for that price. You wouldn't happen to have the part # on your F&R crate axles handy by chance? Would be good to see if those #s on rockauto are the same since I can't confirm if they actually come w/ axles. TIA.

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
I have been running Falken AT3W 37" tires on a fresh stock axel for 35k miles in one year. I do not off-road at all, but it has been my DD for 3.5 years now. My stock axel got busted before I did the Mopar Lift + 37" tires ; the replacement axel was covered under warranty. Go ahead and look on the forums for more info as it affected some folks without any mods. I got lucky! I had not visited a dealer for anything other than the install of the kit and tires, and they replaced the axel for me, again under warranty 52k miles at the time.

All I have done since is recalibrate the tires and the 2018 Etorque 2.0T still gets 22 MPG down from 28ish at stock. I have not regeared and I still see 8th gear.
Sponsored