Axle swap and GVWR

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
That would disappear if you installed any heavier duty suspension/springs, showing that you had thought about weight. (You can't escape by purposely never weighing the vehicle; that would be willful blindness which won't save you).
Every lift spring on the market is heavy duty compared to stock, I don't think anyone would argue that you bought lift springs because you "thought about weight"? Every aftermarket track bar, steering component, or control arm is heavy duty compared to oem. Almost nobody upgrades any of those things because of weight. You could easily argue you beefed up your Jeep for wheeling and never once thought about weight and for 99% of people that would be true.
Sponsored

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
Every lift spring on the market is heavy duty compared to stock, I don't think anyone would argue that you bought lift springs because you "thought about weight"? Every aftermarket track bar, steering component, or control arm is heavy duty compared to oem. Almost nobody upgrades any of those things because of weight. You could easily argue you beefed up your Jeep for wheeling and never once thought about weight and for 99% of people that would be true.
I was thinking more along the lines of overland lift kits rated for an extra 1000 pounds or such. But again no one is going to go down this rabbit hole because it's not going to be apparent.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Not hypothetical, but unlikely. The vast majority of accidents are caused by immediate human negligence -- you get distracted and rear end someone, etc. For those, your GVWR doesn't really matter, you're already at fault.
Increasing the weight of your vehicle (hopefully obviously) increases your stopping distance. Unless it's adjusted for that's an immediate increase in likelihood of rear ending someone.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

On the overweight argument if it ever (not likely) becomes an issue, one could always argue the didn’t know the vehicle was overweight.
If ignorance were accepted as an excuse, any person charged with a criminal offense could claim ignorance to avoid the consequences. Ignorance isn't an excuse.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Increasing the weight of your vehicle (hopefully obviously) increases your stopping distance. Unless it's adjusted for that's an immediate increase in likelihood of rear ending someone.
Even if you added 2k lbs to the JL, it would stop quicker than a lot of full size trucks and suvs and far quicker than every big rig we share the roads with. Increase your following distance a bit and you're good to go in my opinion.

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Uhhhhh, weight is exactly why I upgraded my springs from AEV's standard 2.5" version to their 3" heavy duty version. The standard version wasn't safe with the weight of my rig. Hitting a bump at high speed was a white knuckle event, especially in a curve.

By upgrading the suspension due to weight it's now back to being an exceptionally well handling Jeep.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
If ignorance were accepted as an excuse, any person charged with a criminal offense could claim ignorance to avoid the consequences. Ignorance isn't an excuse.
Yeah I know “ignorance is no excuse”🤪

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, but no one is going to look into that if you rear end someone.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm just saying that it's more likely to happen with additional weight unless you adjust for it.
Yes, I agree completely. I probably wouldn't go over GVWR myself and if I had 37s or larger I'd be using a real big brake kit.
Sponsored