Sponsored

Axle seal leaking again, possible causes?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Look at my new post. The only fix is new axle shafts and there is a service bulletin about this according to the dealer.
Good deal! Glad they’re taking care of your Jeep for you.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Arterius2

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Update: The dealer installed new seals and they failed immediately. I took my Jeep back and told them that according to this forum there is a known problem with some axles being defective. The service writer apologized and said he did find a service bulletin about the axles and that they should have seen that before they put new seals on. They are ordering new axle shafts and seals and will install them. I will keep you all posted.
My third trip to the dealer, they put new seals in, didn’t order the axle shafts, probably will be leaking again soon. We shall see.

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2020 Honda Pilot Touring
My Brand new 2020 rubicon recon is leaking out of the front passenger side at 450 Miles . It’s been leaking likely since I purchased it since I’d noticed the drips on my garage for 2 weeks now and finally crawled under. damn.

1CF4DB3B-601F-4FAA-8C95-1EBCF0AF7B37.jpeg

OP
OP
Arterius2

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
My Brand new 2020 rubicon recon is leaking out of the front passenger side at 450 Miles . It’s been leaking likely since I purchased it since I’d noticed the drips on my garage for 2 weeks now and finally crawled under. damn.

1CF4DB3B-601F-4FAA-8C95-1EBCF0AF7B37.jpeg
Oh no, that leak looks almost exactly like mine lol. Front passenger as well.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service

Jeep Wrangler JL Axle seal leaking again, possible causes? 1CF4DB3B-601F-4FAA-8C95-1EBCF0AF7B37
Get it fixed while it’s under warranty! You’ll be kicking yourself if you don’t.

Sponsored

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
well ive only had it for 3 weeks so I’m going to get it taken care of asap.

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone have a link to the service bulletin? I only see one for replacing the axle shaft due to noise, not a leak.

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Arterius2 did you get a confirm on which axle seal was leaking? I haven’t called the dealer yet, and I just love to learn how things work on my own to have a clue when I bring things in for service. I’m wondering how this could be the inner axle seal inside the differential.

Just doing some research, it appears these Dana axles now have front axle disconnects on the passenger side to help fuel economy. On the outer side of the FAD (watching some tear down videos) It appears there is a seal there as well. Seems a hell of a lot less intrusive to get to vs cracking open the differential. But given where the leak is, the seal on the FAD would have to be bad (also perhaps?). It’s a brand new Jeep and will end up going to the dealer, I just am wondering if I have time to monitor it Given the tiny amount I have seen drip and that I have wiped up. And its really dark black like grease vs. oily like diff fluid. Maybe I’ll be lucky and its not a seal at all, but just some grease around the outer axle shaft from install.

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After wiping it down And checking them diff fluid (It wasn’t overfilled) and then driving 60 miles on the highway I checked again and its slowly weeping out again. This time it is clearly gear oil. Have an appointment at the dealer Tueday AM to drop it off. Hopefully it’ll be quick and it 1 trip!!

Sponsored

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UGH, Thats terrible. I’m hoping they fix my issue the first time. It really boils down to getting the right tech, and getting the right service advisor to look up any bulletins to make sure they replace all the extra parts that all lead to the failure.

Daniel P

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willy's Edition
The dealer called the Chrysler engineer and they are going to order the entire front assembly. This should surely fix the problem as long as it's not defective as well. I'm glad they are going this route and not just continually replacing seals. Part should come in next week. I'll keep you posted.

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got the Jeep back last night. They had to order the part and it came the next day. They only replaced the passenger axle seal in mine. Not any of the shafts. hopefully it Will be all good, but worst case if it leaks again, they’ll replace more parts i would Imagine. Put 30 miles on it last night and no Leaks yet, but I’d imagine it would take a little more than that To be sure.

Daniel P

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willy's Edition
Got my Jeep back today after the entire front assembly was replaced and passenger side leaking as soon as I got home. Will go back tomorrow and see about Chrysler buying it back. This is ridiculous. The "new" assembly looks like a re-conditioned part as there are runs in the black paint. I'm sure part of the problem is also the dealership mechanics are not very good. I'm sure this will be a painful process but this will be the last time I buy a Jeep. I've bought 2 new Jeeps 20 years apart and they were both junk.
Sponsored