Sponsored

Axle seal leaking again, possible causes?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
So I had an axle seal leak (front passenger) back in April, and took the Jeep in to the dealership and they changed out a new seal. Only a month goes by and I found the same seal began leaking again. I know this is some crazy bad luck, but does anyone know if there are possible reasons behind this leak, other than that the dealership did a poor job?

I have a very slight tire rub on the front lower control arms at full clock, would this somehow cause the leak to develop?

Jeep Wrangler JL Axle seal leaking again, possible causes? WeChat Image_20200509204119
Sponsored

Hazard8

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jlu sport,
So I had an axle seal leak (front passenger) back in April, and took the Jeep in to the dealership and they changed out a new seal. Only a month goes by and I found the same seal began leaking again. I know this is some crazy bad luck, but does anyone know if there are possible reasons behind this leak, other than that the dealership did a poor job?

I have a very slight tire rub on the front lower control arms at full clock, would this somehow cause the leak to develop?

Jeep Wrangler JL Axle seal leaking again, possible causes? WeChat Image_20200509204119
I had this problem on my sport. The dealer said there is known issue where some of the axle shafts would repeatedly cause this seal to leak to to not being in spec.
I had my axle shaft replaced under warranty.

GameFanatic9

First Name
Blayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport
So I just recently purchased a 2020 Wrangler Sport one and a half weeks ago and have had this problem occur now. It has 436 miles on it. It currently sits at the dealership. Waiting for them to look at it tomorrow morning.

OP
OP
Arterius2

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
So I just recently purchased a 2020 Wrangler Sport one and a half weeks ago and have had this problem occur now. It has 436 miles on it. It currently sits at the dealership. Waiting for them to look at it tomorrow morning.
Sorry to hear that, I may be going back to my dealership for a third visit on this issue..

GameFanatic9

First Name
Blayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport
Sorry to hear that, I may be going back to my dealership for a third visit on this issue..
So they looked at mine, said it will take a couple days to get the seal in, however they said there was “dirt and sand around the seal that could possibly cause it to not be covered by warranty”. So we will see how this plays out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Arterius2

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
So they looked at mine, said it will take a couple days to get the seal in, however they said there was “dirt and sand around the seal that could possibly cause it to not be covered by warranty”. So we will see how this plays out.
Keep us updated!

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.

Don't ever let a dealership pull that crap on you that there is dirt and sand around anything so they will not cover it. If they run that crap on you walk them out to your Jeep and point out the Jeep trail rated badge on the side and ask them what trail rated means? What is expected to be found on said trails, pull up Youtube and show them Jeep commercials and kindly tell them to take care of it.

Daniel P

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willy's Edition
Bought my brand new 2020 Wrangler Willy's edition and both axles leaking at 800 miles. Dealer ordering new seals. So frustrating!!! I bought a new Jeep Cherokee in 2000 and had nothing but problems with it. Guess they haven't gotten any better in the last 20 years.

OP
OP
Arterius2

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Bought my brand new 2020 Wrangler Willy's edition and both axles leaking at 800 miles. Dealer ordering new seals. So frustrating!!! I bought a new Jeep Cherokee in 2000 and had nothing but problems with it. Guess they haven't gotten any better in the last 20 years.
4th dealer visit schedule on this issue. (11th dealer visit overall)
Got my Jeep back from the dealer today, says seals are bad ( yet again), will need to order, will take 5 days.

I ask the tech why 2 seals are bad in a roll within a month. He just laughed and said these Jeep parts are basically junk.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Daniel P

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4th dealer visit schedule on this issue. (11th dealer visit overall)
Got my Jeep back from the dealer today, says seals are bad ( yet again), will need to order, will take 5 days.

I ask the tech why 2 seals are bad in a roll within a month. He just laughed and said these Jeep parts are just basically junk.
So is it Jeeps fault or the Dana axle factory?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
It's most likely the axle being out of round or bent, it will wear a seal out quick.

Daniel P

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's most likely the axle being out of round or bent, it will wear a seal out quick.
Update: The dealer installed new seals and they failed immediately. I took my Jeep back and told them that according to this forum there is a known problem with some axles being defective. The service writer apologized and said he did find a service bulletin about the axles and that they should have seen that before they put new seals on. They are ordering new axle shafts and seals and will install them. I will keep you all posted.