Sponsored

Axle Replacement - Should I drive my Jeep?

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Since the front axle disconnect only disconnects the passenger side shaft what do you suppose happens inside the differential when the drivers side shaft turns?
Sponsored

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
I just changed my gears and didn't use 4wd at all for the first 500 miles. I opened the differentials to clean and inspect. Guess what, there is wear on the front ring from moving against the pinion. The FAD does disconnect the front passenger side axle shaft as it moves to the right and isn't on the middle shaft at all. But the ring and pinion still spin in the axle, just not under load and with minimal stress.

If the ring and pinion was not moving at all in the front axle, how did I get wear patterns from driving in 2wd only with a new set of gears installed?

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
The ring and pinion doesn't turn with the FAD disconnected. The pinion is directly attached to the front driveshaft. If the pinion was turning, the front driveshaft would be turning, too. The entire reason the FAD is there is to gain fuel efficiency by not unnecessary spinning the front driveshaft all the time.

With the FAD disconnected, the front driver wheel drives the driver side gear, which turns the spider gears which in turn drives the passenger side gear and inner shaft (in the opposite direction). That's all that moves.

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
The spider gears turn and the right inner shaft spins in the opposite direction.
I am just curious why I have wear pattern on the front ring then if the ring is not spinning in 2wd?

I just figured it had to be spinning if I have wear on it so I would appreciate the explanation.

Sponsored

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I am just curious why I have wear pattern on the front ring then if the ring is not spinning in 2wd?

I just figured it had to be spinning if I have wear on it so I would appreciate the explanation.
In theory the R&P doesn’t spin unless the axle disconnect is engaged but in reality it does turn a bit due to the viscosity of the oil in the diff.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
In theory the R&P doesn’t spin unless the axle disconnect is engaged but in reality it does turn a bit due to the viscosity of the oil in the diff.
Yeah, but in theory. My heavy ass 1350 Adams driveshaft doesn't ever spin. After I did my zip tie trial, I turned the shaft to where the Adams sticker was facing the control arm, it stayed facing the control arm for weeks, until I put it in 4WD.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Yeah, but in theory. My heavy ass 1350 Adams driveshaft doesn't ever spin. After I did my zip tie trial, I turned the shaft to where the Adams sticker was facing the control arm, it stayed facing the control arm for weeks, until I put it in 4WD.
And I just noticed the other day the the valve stem on my tire is still pointed directly down, the same place it was a month ago.
I better get the Jeep into a shop to see why that tire isn’t turning.
Sponsored