Sponsored

Axle questions from an inexperienced Jeep owner

Kmarc86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Bottom Line: I am not exactly sure of my axle specs and I need to know before I decide on my next upgrades.

Hello,
2020 Willys Sport owner and daily driver here. I have accumulated a few upgrades. I am running the Mopar 2 inch lift with added adjustable front and rear track bars & RK spring pads. I also have 35-inch MTs and Black Rhino Warlord Wheels. I like this setup. The vision I have for this Jeep is a capable wheeler that can still serve as a daily driver (just barely... haha).

I want to add front and rear lockers. I am pretty sold on going with Ox locker and 4.88 gears. However, Someone suggested I just swap out my current axles with the front and rear Rubicon axles instead. Unless I am wrong, Willys edition Jeeps already have Dana 44 axles. I know the ratio is 3.45.

I admit I am new to this stuff. Can anyone help me identify the axles. Here is a pic of the diff covers if that helps:

20210718_110517.jpg

20210718_104450.jpg
Sponsored

PacNWJLGecko

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
I believe you have the Dana M220 in the rear (44) and the M186 in the front (30).

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I would recommend you do a lot of comparisons between upgrading your front axle vs a new one. Labor prices by me are very high, so bolting in a new axle by myself would be close to the cost of a regear and locker install from a shop. Especially an upgrade to a D44. Your tool collection and handiness/skill will play into the comparison too.

Your rear is probably fine to just regear.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Rubicon axles are a worthwhile upgrade anyway as it gets you the lockers and a Dana 44 front axle. Still need to regear but you were going to do that anyway. I picked up mine for $3500.
Gregj

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
His front axle is a M186 (aka Dana 30). I have one like that in storage. The fill port is a little too high in that chart.
Gregj

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
with this as cross reference to me it seems they're both 44s front and rear.
Bolts on the left side of the cover are spread like the 30 compared to the even spacing of the 44, and it doesn’t have the notch in the cover up and right of the fill plug.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Bolts on the left side of the cover are spread like the 30 compared to the even spacing of the 44, and it doesn’t have the notch in the cover up and right of the fill plug.
thanks , I totally missed that

OP
OP
Kmarc86

Kmarc86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Okay, so it seems like the consensus is 44 rear, 30 front. I'm also reading the Rubicon axles are wider. That true?

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
True. The mounts for the control arms and track bar are in the same place on the axle, the extra width is all outboard of the mounts. Obviously the steering parts are longer to account for the added width.

OP
OP
Kmarc86

Kmarc86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
@Gregj , then it's looking like i will be doing the front & rear axle swap. Instead of upgrading my current axles. Any other pointers are welcome. Thanks to you all.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Keep an eye on the Member Marketplace as they come up often. Try to get as many parts as you can (brakes, driveshafts and any thing else axle related). The set I got was only missing the front brake hoses.

The swap is pretty much unbolt the old, bolt in new, then wire the locker switch’s.
Gregj

OP
OP
Kmarc86

Kmarc86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Thanks, @Gregj. I found a few videos on youtube which I hope will help to figure out what parts need to change vs. what is interchangeable. If you think of any other pro-tips on this, send them my way. I appreciate the help.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Kmarc86 all of your lift stuff will be retained, only difference is drag link and tie-rod. The swap is pretty much disconnect the control arms, track bar and drag link from the current axle and attach to the new axle. I did it in the driveway with jack stands and a floor jack with hand tools.
Gregj
Sponsored