Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
About dann time.

I’m very curious to get my hands on one or at least see some detailed photos of one…to try and deduce if it’s the same exact sensor or if they made any changes to it at all.

Because if it’s exactly the same, this is only slightly better than the situation before, since now you only need to change out the sensor instead of replacing the entire axle every time the sensor fails. But it will still fail for many, and more than once for the unlucky few.
Just pot the sensor, problem solved.
Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
So, kind of an update on this. I ended up slightly nicking a capacitor when I potted mine. It still works like OEM but every so often I would get a flashing light. So I ordered a new sensor. Almost $500 Canadian later it came today.

Well, I don't know if it's a screw up but they sent 5 in the box. Confirmed with parts guy and all is correct. I'll replace my bad one and keep a spare. So I'll have 3 spare sensors.

Last edited:

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
So, kind of an update on this. I ended up slightly nicking a capacitor when I potted mine. It still works like OEM but every so often I would get a flashing light. So I ordered a new sensor. Almost $500 Canadian later it came today.

Well, I don't know if it's a screw up but they sent 5 in the box. Confirmed with parts guy and all is correct. I'll replace my bad one and keep a spare. So I'll have 3 spare sensors.

I'll do $200 US shipped US or Canada for each sensor if anyone is interested. PM. I'm Canadian so I can only use PayPal and for both our protection, please choose Business sale and I'll swallow the 2% fee. Canadians, we can do etransfer or PayPal.

Any chance you can share a picture and the part number that is on the part?

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Turns out there is a reason for 5 being sent.

Jeep Wrangler JL Axle Locker Sensor issue officially has a fix! Repair kit released lplngbhhhjgpba

Very odd. I potted #5 so we will see if she works normal right off the bat
Ok, for continuity sake, before I got above message from parts guy, I had potted #5 yesterday. Threw it back in today and it's good to go. @chevymitchell knows about all this as well. Either way, I'm happy I don't need to explain to the wife why there is a weird flashing on the dash and locker switch. Lol.

Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Turns out there is a reason for 5 being sent.

Jeep Wrangler JL Axle Locker Sensor issue officially has a fix! Repair kit released lplngbhhhjgpba

Very odd. I potted #5 so we will see if she works normal right off the bat
This is so weird. So there are 5 different sensor types and it is trial and error to find which one works?

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
This is so weird. So there are 5 different sensor types and it is trial and error to find which one works?
Ya. I think it's more of a CYA thing for Stellantis. The first one I put in (#5) works fine. Kind of silly though, now I have 4 sitting here that I can't really sell because I can't promise they will work for another person but most likely will. Lol.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Ya. I think it's more of a CYA thing for Stellantis. The first one I put in (#5) works fine. Kind of silly though, now I have 4 sitting here that I can't really sell because I can't promise they will work for another person but most likely will. Lol.
What made you go straight to #5? Just a felt that was your lucky number?

Do the other 4 look any different or have different part numbers?

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Weird shit. Maybe thats why it costs $350... you get 5 sensors..

Sponsored

Deleted member 20919

Forum members,
As promised, sharing an update to my "Service Axle Locker System" warning light issue. As many are aware, the previous fix for this issue was an axle swap. While waiting for the replacement axle to arrive, my vehicle was still drivable; I simply unplugged the connector from the bell housing and zip tied it out of the way. This caused the warning light to remain illuminated on my dash, however, this was much more tolerable than the random light and chime that would occur otherwise. Subsequent to the axle being placed on order, I had been tracking the issue in the forums and saw the posting regarding the now availability of the defective switch. I contacted my dealership, sent them the info from the forum and asked them to order the replacement switch. I felt this was a much better (and simpler) option than an entire axle swap. Ironically, the axle, being on order, did eventually arrive, (this took approximately 2 months), but I opted to decline the axle replacement and told my service advisor that I preferred attempting to fix the issue by replacing the switch first. The switch finally arrived, again, approximately a 2 month wait. I took the Jeep in, and unfortunately had to wait a week for the repair due to staffing shortages. I will spare the details, but the attached file is a copy from the service document and indicates what was performed to fix the vehicle. To summarize, in addition to the switch, a DTCM was also replaced.

Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 12.53.39 PM.png

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Thanks for sharing the details. Is the thinking that the bad DTCM was the cause all along and not the sensor? Sounds strange. Or did the tech simply didn't know who to properly clear the codes?

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
I've had the "Service Axle Locker System" error on solid for weeks now. Finally got in to see the dealer about it, and it turns out I had a damaged wire above the rear diff. A quick repair and some loom to protect it and I'm back in business!

I still have the Z-Auto bypass module on order for when my sensors do fail, but I'm pleased that I'm back on the trail in one visit to the garage.

cleroks

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito, 1987 Comanche I6
Occupation
Retired
I had the axle replaced under warranty in January 2022. Seven months later the "service axle locker system" message was back. I took it back in and they ordered a part (presumably the sensor replacement kit) and will call me back when it's in. They said it's covered under the drivetrain warranty. I am past the regular 36K mile warranty period.

* Update 9/2/22: part is on backorder - not expected for another month.
* Update 10/7/22: part installed. Covered under 60k drivetrain warranty. No issues at this time.

Last edited:

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I had the axle replaced under warranty in January 2022. Seven months later the "service axle locker system" message was back. I took it back in and they ordered a part (presumably the sensor replacement kit) and will call me back when it's in. They said it's covered under the drivetrain warranty. I am past the regular 36K mile warranty period.

* Update 9/2/22: part is on backorder - not expected for another month.
I can't imagine why it's on backorder when they literally just send 5 of them no matter what. Lol.
Sponsored

Last edited: