Sponsored

Axle Info: NEW Front and Rear Axles for 2018 JL Wrangler Sport, Sahara & Rubicon

TexTJ209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep CJ-7, 1973 Jeep J2000 Gladiator

Lower acceleration from the diesel than vs the Pentastar? Maybe at passing speed, but not off the line. And if highway manners are your primary concern, you've chosen the wrong brand.

It's got nearly 200ft-lbs more torque than the 3.6L, and torque has always been more important in Jeeps than horsepower has been. 380lbs is nothing considering what most people add to their Jeeps in the form of larger tires, armor, bumpers, etc. And the diesel will move that extra weight far better than a gasser will.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
wait... check that again... you get LESS pay load when you go from gas to diesel in an F250 because the GVWR is the same but the diesel engine and components weigh more. You get a little more towing capacity going from gas to diesel.
sdtowing.JPG

caargo.JPG

Last edited:

TexTJ209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep CJ-7, 1973 Jeep J2000 Gladiator

I wouldn't really call 420ft-lbs from a 3.0L diesel mediocre, my 6.6L gets quite a bit less than twice that for more than twice the displacement. And these are still way early leaked numbers that have already been seen to have typos or be straight up wrong (2.0L turbo HP claim). So you never really know until we get real numbers from the source.

I could care less about any supposed weight savings other than the aluminum doors though, as that's less weight for my to have to haul around when I yank them off to store in the garage.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I could care less about any supposed weight savings other than the aluminum doors though, as that's less weight for my to have to haul around when I yank them off to store in the garage.
A lighter hard top would be nice too.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I also want a lighter... coloured armrest, but I don’t think that’s related to the issue at hand... but it sure is a BURNING issue when the lighter top comes off. :sun:

Sorry, just thought I’d inject some humour into the thread. :party:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Dana just officially opened their plant in Toledo today , which will make axles for the JT as well as the Ford Bronco and Ranger;

http://www.toledoblade.com/Automoti...t-now-up-and-running-Jeep-Wrangler-axles.html

Two things of interest is the comments from Dana in this article;

http://www.autonews.com/article/20171025/OEM10/171029817/jeep-dana-axle-supplier-toledo

“The redesigned Dana 30 and Dana 44 axles used on the next-generation Wrangler are lighter and stronger than their predecessors, Dana CEO James Kamsickas said.”

and

“Production at Dana to feed FCA's upcoming JL Wrangler began Monday, Kamsickas said.”

So no major stockpile of axles, starting production the day before order banks opened.
Of course if they are anywhere near max capacity then they should be able to make about twice as many axle pairs per day as FCA can make Wranglers... so they should be able to more than keep up... until the JT arrives, when it should break all sales records EVAH !!!!! :party:

Carlton_Banks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU
Do we know the width of the standard axle and wide axle yet? I'm wondering what the difference in width is.

splat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Do we know yet if the lockers will have a limited slip feature when not engaged similar to the TJ Rubicon?

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
So, now that the unveiling has happened, is it confirmed that these are the new axles going into Wranglers? Links to proof? Pictures from the unveiling?

Sponsored

Diablo169

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Buggy and stuff
I'm hoping the new Rubicon axles will be stronger than the outgoing 44's. I saw 3 rearends grenade, and I don't wheel with any JK's.

The video's I've seen they talk about the axle tubes being stronger as well. I really wish they would of gone Dana 60's on the Rubicon only, and really set it apart from the other models. So looks like we'll still end up with a bunch of yuppie mall crawlers.

I think this is the under body of a Rubicon. Looks like aluminum knuckles and rezzepa joints, pretty beefy looking center link.

Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 1.36.36 PM.png

Iskandar1900

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 jlu rubicon
No one has lowered the bar dude. You keep saying that. What is lower on the JL than the JK? And don't compare a JKRR to a JLR. They are different trim levels and are offered at different price points.
The jl rubic N is more expensive the the jk recon i have 2018 rubi sticker is 54k for the most expensive recon is less than that and theres jl could go up in sticker price as much as 56k so it better be stronger than the recon
Sponsored