Sponsored

Axle Info: NEW Front and Rear Axles for 2018 JL Wrangler Sport, Sahara & Rubicon

chcg12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
so is the m186 the least "heavy duty" if you will? also is the Sahara m220 rear "stronger" than the dana 44 rear or just different because of possible use of cv joints vs u joints?
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
is the Sahara m220... rear or different because of possible use of cv joints vs u joints?
CV joints are only for the front axle of the Selec-Trac Saharas, not the rear so it wouldn't apply to the M220.

chcg12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
thanks...so..is the m220 a heavier duty version than the dana 44 or is there not enough info yet? as you know for the jk ,the rubicon was the only model that had beefier axels , with the exception of a special edition or two i believe..

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can't really tell yet.
See post #4, all we know sofar is that it can handle more input torque, but the things that make an axle 'strong' like diameter and thickness or even the Cs and mounts are still kinda unknown (other than a general idea from the leaked CAD files for the JT).

Tahoez

First Name
Tahoe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU, 2007 Ranger 4x4, 2006 LJ, 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 1992 XJ Laredo, 1984 Dodge Ramcharger 4x4
We've just verified the new front/rear axles for the 2018 JL/JLU!

There will be a total of five new standard axles (3 front, 2 rear) and an optional packaged rear axle for the Sahara. Here's how it breaks down by trim:

JL Sport (standard)
M186 Front Axle / Next Generation Dana 44 HD Rear Axle

JL Sahara (standard)
205MM Front Axle / Next Generation Dana 44 HD Rear Axle

JL Rubicon (standard)
Dana M210 Wide Front Axle / Dana M220 Wide Rear Axle

JL Sahara (optional package)
205MM Front Axle / Dana M220 Rear Axle

Also previous info from our Info Compilation thread.
  • CV joints on front axle of Selec-Trac (AWD) models
  • U-joints on front axle of Rubicon
How do these axles compare to what're currently on the JKU, the 2012?

The reason I ask is that I purchased a locker for the D44 that's in the back of the 2012, but I'm interested in the JLU now that there's new info out on them and may want to wait and install it in the JLU once I buy a JLU.

Will this be a possibility to do or should I sent it back and order one when I get a JLU?

Sponsored

JaybearWL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0t
How do these axles compare to what're currently on the JKU, the 2012?

The reason I ask is that I purchased a locker for the D44 that's in the back of the 2012, but I'm interested in the JLU now that there's new info out on them and may want to wait and install it in the JLU once I buy a JLU.

Will this be a possibility to do or should I sent it back and order one when I get a JLU?
This is all hunch, but my share of the hunch is to send it back.

Hunch unless Milous shows up

Overlander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The M220 is going to be so much better than the D44 that it needs its own optional package?

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
wow aluminum ? makes me think of that chevy commercial where they bash the h out the ford "military spec aluminum bed" How is it possible that a smaller aluminum axle will be stronger than a larger steel axle? Are pigs flying?

someone please explain this in English.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
What's the purpose of having two different front axles for Sport vs Sahara? Is this simply cost savings?

Also, is the rear axle the exact same as current JK Dana 44?

Last edited:

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel
if they use ali & steel it will make strengthening the housing with gussets a bit more work ie. expensive

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is all very early and there's a lot of speculation of stock vs Wrangler specs, while forgetting the JK Dana 44 isn't just a plain jane D44 either to begin with, but a Wrangler-specific upgrade.

We won't know exactly how / if Dana & FCA tweaked the standard implementation again until it arrives, and neither the ring gear size, nor the carrier being made of aluminium alone would be an indicator of strength if they are properly accounted for. Appropriate integrated protection or Rubicon specific design or add-ons would change it's performance vs stock, existing and previous implementations the same way a JK D44 was not your father... errr... grandfather's D44.

Definitely nothing worthy of the vast majority of Wrangler users getting worked up about before reveal.

Plus, for those who like to worry or feel they needed more, let's not forget the Axles are one of those areas with a large after-market for the Wrangler and already relatively easily upgraded vs engine, transmission, transfer case, etc. So whatever percieved shortfalls by the hardcore off-road community will be the design opportunities for the folks at Dynatrac, ProRock, etc. as was the case for the JK.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
So based upon this information, it would seem to me that the diesel engine will be offered on Rubicon and Sahara only. And on Sahara, if you order the diesel, you will find it in a package with the upgraded axle (hence, "optional"). No diesel for the Sport since it gets the "weaker" axle only.

This makes perfect sense if you look at packaging from prior vehicles over the years also. It's interesting what you can learn from bits and pieces of info.
Sponsored