Sponsored

Awkward Conversation with Neighbors

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
Saw my neighbors outside and we had a nice talk about my brand new Wrangler Hemi 392. Retired couple. Nice neighborly conversation, until the wife said “Well I must say, you wake me up every morning when you start that thing. But it’s ok, I really need to wake up earlier anyway”. I slumped my shoulders and apologized. What else could I do?Awkward!

Now I leave for work about 8:00am, M-F, which to me isn’t ridiculously early. I guess if you’re retired like she is, though, hearing my 392 beast crank up is like having an 8am alarm go off every morning. I wish I could make the starting process quieter somehow, because right after the starting roar the engine goes relatively quiet.

Be aware of the absolute beast you bring home with a 392. Her alarm clock:

Jeep Wrangler JL Awkward Conversation with Neighbors IMG_3369
Sponsored

Last edited:

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Saw my neighbors outside and we had a nice talk about my brand new Wrangler Hemi 392. Retired couple. Nice neighborly conversation, until the wife said “Well I must say, you wake me up every morning when you start that thing. But it’s ok, I really need to wake up earlier anyway”. I slumped my shoulders and apologized. What else could I do?Awkward!

Now I leave for work about 8:00am, M-F, which to me isn’t ridiculously early. I guess if you’re retired like she is, though, hearing my 392 beast crank up is like having an 8am alarm go off every morning. I wish I could make the starting process quieter somehow, because right after the starting roar the engine goes relatively quiet.

IMG_3369.jpg
You could always install a motorized bypass valve with a super quiet muffler when you start it, then, with a flip of a switch, switch to your OEM exhaust.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Wrangler JL Awkward Conversation with Neighbors IMG_3369
She is right. She should be up by 8 anyway. Enjoy that Jeep!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Hearhear

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
Can you start with the garage door closed then open after the beast settles? It’s a short time, not like you gonna pass out and die.
Good idea, I’ll have to think about that. Only problem is it might contain and amplify the sound inside and my kids bedroom is on the opposite side of the garage wall and they’re already annoyed with my startup roar LOL. People need to realise how loud. this. beast. is, especially bright and early in the morning!

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Do you live on a hill or have a slightly sloped driveway where you could coast a few houses away and then start the engine? I have a motorcycle that is not too loud but not as quiet as most cars. I live on a slight hill and when I used to leave for work at 5:00am I would coast 3-4 houses down the hill before starting it and then go gently on the throttle until I was away from any houses.

No neighbors ever complained about early morning noises from me.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Do you live on a hill or have a slightly sloped driveway where you could coast a few houses away and then start the engine? I have a motorcycle that is not too loud but not as quiet as most cars. I live on a slight hill and when I used to leave for work at 5:00am I would coast 3-4 houses down the hill before starting it and then go gently on the throttle until I was away from any houses.

No neighbors ever complained about early morning noises from me.
While I'm all for respecting neighbors, he's leaving at 8am. That's daytime. I see no foul there. People around here run lawnmowers at 8am.

Sponsored

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Good idea, I’ll have to think about that. Only problem is it might contain and amplify the sound inside and my kids bedroom is on the opposite side of the garage wall and they’re already annoyed with my startup roar LOL. People need to realise how loud. this. beast. is, especially bright and early in the morning!
You could put some sound deadening or egg crates on the garage door to absorb the sound instead of amplifying it. I used to start my hellcat with the door closed for the neighbors benefit. It really did help.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I think the OP is on the right path. Be polite, considerate, and do what you can to accomodate, without going overboard. When I worked nights for the first 10 years of my working life, I dealt with loud cars, gardeners and their leaf blowers, lawnmowers, etc.. It's not always easy to accomodate, but maybe being considerate enough in this case is minimizing the time and acceleration as you seem to have done. If you can do more and want to, by all means, it would likely benefit you and your neighbor's relationship.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
While I'm all for respecting neighbors, he's leaving at 8am. That's daytime. I see no foul there. People around here run lawnmowers at 8am.
I agree that 8am isn't REAL early, around our neighborhood we have an unofficial 9 o'clock rule. No loud noises before 9am or after 9pm. It's not something that's written down, just a verbal agreement in the community.

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
I had this problem with my Corvette Stingray. I felt bad because they had a newborn, but I got to get to work somehow! My 2nd vehicle at the time was a Hemi Ram with aftermarket exhaust... Lol, not much better. I'm pretty sure they were doing cartwheels when we brought home a Chevy Volt...
Sponsored