Avoid the diesel?

Crux

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.0D JLUR ordered
Looks like Nissan is killing their Titan XD with Cummins.
Not surprising that they’re doing a refresh and last month Titans sold as much as the F150 does in a day...
Sponsored

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
Nissan is always last in pickup sales. Point is that more diesel offering me are going away.

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
Doesn't surprise me at all the news on the titan.

Release an in-betweener truck as a half ton. Price it like it's a 3/4 ton. Make it the size of a semi, toss in a decade old engine that's literally been sitting on the shelf un-updated which gets genuinely sub par mileage even compared to it's big brother with 1.7l more displacement and you have a recipe for disaster.

I didn't figure the Titan xd was gonna do well in it's proposed form under any badge, let alone Nissan.

Guess that also kills any hopes of an update Nissan frontier diesel any time in the next 20 years. I swear we will be flying cars by the time Nissan actually really updates that old rig.

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Meanwhile we are still allowing fluoride to be put in our drinking water???
"Do you realize that in addition to fluoridating water, why, there are studies underway to fluoridate salt, flour, fruit juices, soup, sugar, milk, ice cream? Ice cream, Mandrake? Children's ice cream!...You know when fluoridation began?...1946. 1946, Mandrake. How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual, and certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works."
USAF Brigadier General Jack D. Ripper

:CWL::LOL::CWL:

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
No lifetime warranty and that gives me pause.
I thought it was very odd too... I wonder the reason... I have a 2008 v6 250k miles town and country "with" lifetime and a RAM 2006 120k cummins without (not offered) and now a JL v6 with a lifetime.. make no sense to me at all... maybe it has to do with the known cost to repair a diesel.. v6's are more commodity type engines thus cheaper is the only thing I can think of.. none of them have had any engine trouble, not even an oil leak... just change the oil every 5k and they all just work... no drama... now all the other parts, well that is where the warranty has lots of value... im looking forward to test driving the diesel some day... but I would be very surprised if it worked better than the 3.6, it certainly has won my favor so far, nice a linear power curve and revs to the moon.. and when it is unloaded it is darn right quick as hell...

Crux

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.0D JLUR ordered
.. and when it is unloaded it is darn right quick as hell...
Except at 10,000 ASL and that’s why I can’t wait for the diesel turbo

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
Except at 10,000 ASL and that’s why I can’t wait for the diesel turbo
I have had many diesels.. I will be surprised even at 10k if the 3.0 will be quicker than a 3.6 (unloaded), now the 2.0 will certainly be quicker, but the key for me is a smooth linear torque curve, which translate to great control and instant response off road.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I have had many diesels.. I will be surprised even at 10k if the 3.0 will be quicker than a 3.6 (unloaded), now the 2.0 will certainly be quicker, but the key for me is a smooth linear torque curve, which translate to great control and instant response off road.
Is this a joke? We’re talking about 260lb-ft of torque at 4400rpm in the 3.6 and 480lb-ft of torque at 1600rpm in the 3.0. Name any odds and any wager, if you think the 3.6 stands a chance at any altitude.

Sponsored

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
Is this a joke? We’re talking about 260lb-ft of torque at 4400rpm in the 3.6 and 480lb-ft of torque at 1600rpm in the 3.0. Name any odds and any wager, if you think the 3.6 stands a chance at any altitude.
yes, in an acceleration test.. "horse power", is king in acceleration. I could be wrong, but like I said I would be surprised. Time will tell...

in a RAM its 10.3 0 60 time https://binged.it/2KrA0w1 that's pretty slow and the 3.0 weighs 150ilbs more than the 3.6.. https://www.allpar.com/mopar/V6/PUG-2015.php

Also notice the shift points are at 4k… I really like the range of the 3.6 (1k-6500k) and with the eight speed its a great combo..

My jeep today on a bad day is 7sec 0-60 unloaded, completely stock at sea level where I live, but up in sierras (7k) I did not notice too much difference..

I look forward to test drive, if there is that much improvement in acceleration, I will swap.. but I really think the only real advantage will be MPG.. Today when I am towing a max loads (3500lbs trailer, with 5 people and their gear) the 3.6 handles the grapevine at 70mph in 6 sixth gear with no issues and stays cool, even when its 100+ outside.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to dis the 3.0, I am just sharing my experiences and I do not know what the 3.0 will bring and I look forward to learning more from this forum and your experiences too..

Thanks for your comments!

TC

Crux

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.0D JLUR ordered
Naturally aspirated: ~3% power loss/1,000 feet
Turbo / Diesel Turbo: ~1.5% power loss/1,000 feet

10k feet... 30% power reduction or 15% power reduction.

It's noticeable even before you consider the near 2x stock torque....

Edit to add: To an extent you're correct.... if you're running stock/unloaded at 10k you're likely fine. This however is not how I enter the mountains. Bumpers, armor, 35s, RTT, kids, multiday gear, food, etc... you get the point. I will - and do in my 4R - notice naturally aspirated power loss. And I can't stand it.

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
Naturally aspirated: ~3% power loss/1,000 feet
Turbo / Diesel Turbo: ~1.5% power loss/1,000 feet

10k feet... 30% power reduction or 15% power reduction.

It's noticeable even before you consider the near 2x stock torque....

Edit to add: To an extent you're correct.... if you're running stock/unloaded at 10k you're likely fine. This however is not how I enter the mountains. Bumpers, armor, 35s, RTT, kids, multiday gear, food, etc... you get the point. I will - and do in my 4R - notice naturally aspirated power loss. And I can't stand it.

Good points, when I was fully loaded last week on Rubicon with 5 people, 2 kayaks and all the gear you need for 4 days.. more power - torque was never on my mind, nor desired at any point.. MPG was, I was wondering if I had enough fuel, turned out better than I thought, from Placerville to Tahoe via the Rubicon trail, I still had a half tank of fuel... But certainly would love the piece of mind of the diesel range.

Rubicon-2019-camp.jpg

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
yes, in an acceleration test.. "horse power", is king in acceleration. I could be wrong, but like I said I would be surprised. Time will tell...

in a RAM its 10.3 0 60 time https://binged.it/2KrA0w1 that's pretty slow and the 3.0 weighs 150ilbs more than the 3.6.. https://www.allpar.com/mopar/V6/PUG-2015.php

Also notice the shift points are at 4k… I really like the range of the 3.6 (1k-6500k) and with the eight speed its a great combo..

My jeep today on a bad day is 7sec 0-60 unloaded, completely stock at sea level where I live, but up in sierras (7k) I did not notice too much difference..

I look forward to test drive, if there is that much improvement in acceleration, I will swap.. but I really think the only real advantage will be MPG.. Today when I am towing a max loads (3500lbs trailer, with 5 people and their gear) the 3.6 handles the grapevine at 70mph in 6 sixth gear with no issues and stays cool, even when its 100+ outside.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to dis the 3.0, I am just sharing my experiences and I do not know what the 3.0 will bring and I look forward to learning more from this forum and your experiences too..

Thanks for your comments!

TC
You do know what it will bring because the engine specs have been confirmed and the transmission will be the same 8spd auto. Torque decides acceleration off the line and HP doesn’t take over until beyond 60mph in most races.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yesterday I heard that engineering has confirmed that the cam gears are still pressed on like the Gen 2 engines. No keyway to prevent them from spinning. They did not address the #1 problem with those Gen 2 engines.

That's what I was afraid of. They didn't address the problems with this engine, but they did add new potential problem areas. Sigh...
Sponsored