First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Does this guy have valid points? Is he possibly relying too much on the earliest versions and not accounting for corrections? I recall the Pentastar had early problems that took three years or so to resolve and now considered by many bullet proof. Perhaps the newest ED will follow the same path.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
My son is a service writer at a dealer and has warned me never to touch an ecodiesel with a 10 ft pole. He says he sees them all the time with serious issues. That said, I can’t say if this will be the same engine that ends up in the Wrangler. Or that FCA doesn’t finally get the engine issues sorted out. I’d be suprised if they don’t sell well once they are released, they are highly anticipated (as I’m sure everyone here knows)

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Just over 17,000 miles in our 2018 ED WK2 Trailhawk since we purchased at the end of June. So far no issues to report with the engine or drivetrain. We have had random infotainment gremlins, and the original Goodyear tires were junk and started chunking at 3k, and a few other minor things. I'm happy to be getting 25-26 average mpg over the lifetime with a solid mix of town, highway, and backcountry miles.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
We've got about 80K miles on our 2014 GC Ecodiesel. It's been running a GDE tune since about 25000 miles that disables EGR. No issues with it at all other than the increased maintenance costs. About the bare minimum you are going to get an oil change done for is $110- if you do it yourself and it's a bit more work than on a gas engine. If you pay someone, expect it to cost $150-200. If you don't run a tune to disable EGR, expect to pay a couple grand at around 60-70k miles to have the soot cleaned out of it. That seems to be what others I've talked to have ran into with stock engines. I'm interested to see how the post dieselfiatgate ecodiesel runs compared to the pre engines. Honestly, stock ours was a dog. Way slower than the 3.6. Mileage was around 26, which didn't offset the cost. With the GDE tune, mileage is around 30-33mpg and much better. Honestly, the only way I would own the ecodiesel is if I was going to run a tune on it to disable EGR. Otherwise the benefits are pretty slim.

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
As an option. Wait until the snoot builds at around 70k and then remove the EGR?

Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As an option. Wait until the snoot builds at around 70k and then remove the EGR?
Nope, the problem with that plan is that the soot also gets into the head and on the rockers and push rods because of the way the EGR works on the ecodiesel. Once that soot hardens and starts breaking off it gets into the engine and you have real damage. I know several people that have had it get so bad in the heads that the engine started shuddering. Of course FCAs solution is to throw replacement heads at it and that works until you are out of warranty and then it builds up in the heads, breaks off and causes the engine to fail.

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
That’s not good. Wasn’t aware other components would be affected. Starting to sound like EPA compliant diesel options aren’t actually a viable option. Unless just a lease within warranty period.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s not good. Wasn’t aware other components would be affected. Starting to sound like EPA compliant diesel options aren’t actually a viable option. Unless just a lease within warranty period.
The emissions stuff kills the long life that diesels are known for. I dont' know of a single person with a trouiblefree modern diesel with EGR intact that has a lot of mileage. Everyone I know tunes them to kill EGR in software and then once the warranty is over, physically removes EGR.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
We own an ecodiesel grand cherokee, 2014. So far, it has been faultless, through 85000 miles. Maybe we got a "good one" but ours has been flawless. It seems that IF they have a problem, the problem is usually serious. Not enough for me to stay away from one.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We own an ecodiesel grand cherokee, 2014. So far, it has been faultless, through 85000 miles. Maybe we got a "good one" but ours has been flawless. It seems that IF they have a problem, the problem is usually serious. Not enough for me to stay away from one.

It will be fine for a while, but eventually the soot in the EGR will start choking the engine and you will have to spend a couple of grand having it cleaned out, but that won't prevent the damage in the heads.

Sponsored

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With my JL, I plan on doing the GDE tune basically immediately, on the GC, we have a warranty through 120k, after that, will probably get rid of it.

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Doing a tune would be detected by the service department coding the warranty?

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I do the GDE, I will buy an ECU outright, so I still have my stock one.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Doing a tune would be detected by the service department coding the warranty?
Nope, they have no way of detecting it. The downside is that if you take it in with the tuned ECU and they flash it, they will overwrite the tune. Been there, done that.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GDE will put the tune back for $50, but for me, it will just be less of a headache to just have the factory ECU and their ECU so I can swap them around at will.
Sponsored