Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
so what you're saying is that if you have it tuned if you bring it back in they will flash computer and it puts original program in computer? How much does it cost to have one tuned? Is it hard to find someone to tune one?
Ours was done by Green Diesel Engineering, but there are other companies PPEI being one. You have to either do an ECM swap or send your ECM into them for programing. I think GDE was $750 when we had ours done. If you decide to do an ECM swap you have to put a $650 deposit for them to send you a programmed ECU, then once you receive it, and send yours back, they credit you the deposit back. The downside is that if a dealer flashes your Jeep, you lose the tune and have to pay $50 to have i reprogrammed (plus redo the deposit again if you do a swap).
Sponsored

roll

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
vw tdi
Ours was done by Green Diesel Engineering, but there are other companies PPEI being one. You have to either do an ECM swap or send your ECM into them for programing. I think GDE was $750 when we had ours done. If you decide to do an ECM swap you have to put a $650 deposit for them to send you a programmed ECU, then once you receive it, and send yours back, they credit you the deposit back. The downside is that if a dealer flashes your Jeep, you lose the tune and have to pay $50 to have i reprogrammed (plus redo the deposit again if you do a swap).
Thank you!

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
So much of this is anecdotal. I have no idea how many ecodiesel engines they’ve sold, but if they were all crap FCA would be bankrupt. That said, not sure what the appeal of diesel is in this application. On my motorhome, I get it. 400 HP and I forget how much torque. It pulls and pulls.
Higher mpg typically (compared to v6 but no idea what it is here)
Less power loss at higher altitudes (going up mountains)
Ability to tune it
FCA lifetime warranty is only $2500-3500
Usually a much larger fuel tank (getting 11.5mpg with my pentastar and only having 15 gallons sucks)
Less concern about mucky gas or anything like that ruining spark not that I've had an issue with in years/decades

I wanted a diesel JL. It's always my first choice with any vehicle if it's available. It is more of a pain finding gas stations (I had an F250 turbo diesel a few years ago) even in TX.

The maintenance is way higher and I'm way, way less familiar with diesels.

The other car I was cross shopping was a ZR2 Diesel colorado/canyon but that 4cyl diesel is a slow piece of junk. I put 1k miles on one around Washington trails 2 years ago and that thing could barely move out of its own way. I'm sure a quick tune / upping boost would be great on it, though.

Not much I can do on my v6..

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
We've got about 80K miles on our 2014 GC Ecodiesel. It's been running a GDE tune since about 25000 miles that disables EGR. No issues with it at all other than the increased maintenance costs. About the bare minimum you are going to get an oil change done for is $110- if you do it yourself and it's a bit more work than on a gas engine. If you pay someone, expect it to cost $150-200. If you don't run a tune to disable EGR, expect to pay a couple grand at around 60-70k miles to have the soot cleaned out of it. That seems to be what others I've talked to have ran into with stock engines. I'm interested to see how the post dieselfiatgate ecodiesel runs compared to the pre engines. Honestly, stock ours was a dog. Way slower than the 3.6. Mileage was around 26, which didn't offset the cost. With the GDE tune, mileage is around 30-33mpg and much better. Honestly, the only way I would own the ecodiesel is if I was going to run a tune on it to disable EGR. Otherwise the benefits are pretty slim.
Thanks for looking after the planet for the next generation!

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Lots of experts debating the merits of a vehicle that hasn’t been built yet, no exact details have been given and nobody has driven. Same as any cable news show. Facts and real information completely unnecessary in the bizaro world.

Last edited:

Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Apparently the engine has had a complete overhaul..so the problems with the original ecodiesel may be gone entirely.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for looking after the planet for the next generation!
My emissions don't have much impact compared to the larger part of the world (IE China which has ZERO emissions requirements for their vehicles. As for the next generation, from what I've seen they are too stupid to survive anyway.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
My emissions don't have much impact compared to the larger part of the world (IE China which has ZERO emissions requirements for their vehicles. As for the next generation, from what I've seen they are too stupid to survive anyway.
Yea and notice he gives you no credit for burning less gallons of fuel, nor lends any credence to the costs of extracting more gallons from the ground to control NOx. Never mind that your diesel accounts for far less CO2 emissions than the 3.6, regardless of EGR or DPF status.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Yea and notice he gives you no credit for burning less gallons of fuel, nor lends any credence to the costs of extracting more gallons from the ground to control NOx. Never mind that your diesel accounts for far less CO2 emissions than the 3.6, regardless of EGR or DPF status.
As someone who has had Audi TDI's that went from wonderful beasts to neutered lap dogs due to the "diesel gate" fix I get it. Audi played tough and "no fix no service" as a corporate policy.

But what makes it right for someone to bypass such devices when so much effort is being put into saving our planet? We're all in it together and we're all responsible to do what we can. Just because someone else is not should we all say "fuck it" and not try?

As someone in Alaska you should cherish nature more than most; you still have some unspoiled areas to explore.

Sponsored

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Wouldn’t option be to purchase a new programmed ECU so you can swap the OEM for dealer visits? There should be a market for selling your programmed ECM should you sell your Jeep.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
That's probably the easiest headache saver, just swap the OEM ECU back if bringing it in, then put back the GDE one when you're out.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
As someone who has had Audi TDI's that went from wonderful beasts to neutered lap dogs due to the "diesel gate" fix I get it. Audi played tough and "no fix no service" as a corporate policy.

But what makes it right for someone to bypass such devices when so much effort is being put into saving our planet? We're all in it together and we're all responsible to do what we can. Just because someone else is not should we all say "fuck it" and not try?

As someone in Alaska you should cherish nature more than most; you still have some unspoiled areas to explore.
There is an emissions tradeoff to consider here. You can either have better mpg (aka less CO2) or less NOx/particulate. Deleting the EGR and DPF is only more harmful than running them if you consider NOx and particulate to be more environmentally problematic than CO2 and disregard the impacts of earlier engine/vehicle replacement from running an EGR and DPF. I respect the environment far more than most and have made personal life choices which yield >100x the impact reduction of the engine choice/modifications of my vehicles so spare me the theatrics. Life isn’t as binary as DPF/EGR=good, delete=bad.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

You can choose to sacrifice for zero impact, that's great. Sorry, not my cup of tea. I don't have to and I won't. The fact is man made global warming is complete bullshit. There is zero evidence that CO2 emissions have anything to do with it. Only a food would buy into something that simply doesn't have any actual proven science behind it.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
You can choose to sacrifice for zero impact, that's great. Sorry, not my cup of tea. I don't have to and I won't. The fact is man made global warming is complete bullshit. There is zero evidence that CO2 emissions have anything to do with it. Only a food would buy into something that simply doesn't have any actual proven science behind it.
Are you serious - do you honestly believe it's made up and no science to support it?
Sponsored