Sponsored

Average Jeep Now Price $49,573 - 82% paid over MSRP in January

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Don't forget this average is being propped up by more expensive models like the Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer which are often transacting over MSRP right now. A fully loaded Grand Wagoneer S3 tops out around $114k before any markups and they sold almost 8k Wagoneer/GW units in Q4 of 2021.
Sponsored

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
I'll assume the Escalade is responsible for the $4,000+ over for the Caddys? The rest of their lineup isn't bad, but shouldn't command that kind of premium. And my god how far Kia has come... #3 on the list sandwiched right between some big luxury brands. Gott be that Telluride? People go nuts for that thing.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Escalades and Blackwings.

I'll assume the Escalade is responsible for the $4,000+ over for the Caddys? The rest of their lineup isn't bad, but shouldn't command that kind of premium. And my god how far Kia has come... #3 on the list sandwiched right between some big luxury brands. Gott be that Telluride? People go nuts for that thing.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
So last month as I was just about to order a new Rubicon JL Jeep raised prices approx4% so now the dilemma... are prices going to keep going up? Any chance they come down within the year? Or do I just bite the bullet?
The past 18 months have made it clear that the price we see today for [anything] likely won't ever be lower, but may in fact increase at any time without prior notice, or do so in a non-linear manner.

Friend is leaving in two weeks and doesn't want to deal with the hassle of it.

Money is no issue to him...
Help us make sense of how he still owes $33K on a four year-old Sahara. ;)

...my god how far Kia has come...
#3 on the list sandwiched right between some big luxury brands.
I noticed the same thing. I remember when Kia reached these shores; the memory of Hyundai's teething pains were still fresh. With that in mind, I had wondered if Kia would struggle to gain a foothold in the same manner.

Fast forward to today, where it seems plain that Kia has really leapfrogged Hyundai in market presence, impact and in the breadth of their model line. Color me impressed.

ekometti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge 392, 2015 Cayenne S
yup some people really are not financially savvy and they are very impulsive. They trade in newer cars and overpay for the brand new car and they stretch the loan to over 5 years so they don't feel or mind the extra $40 bucks each month. I expect to see a big rise in defaults or upside down loans in the next 2 to 3 years because those same people will try this again and find out their nice 3 year old car that was purchased way over sticker is now not worth as much as what they owe on it. Plus interest rates will go up a lot in the coming years so the auto sale business will slow down significantly.
The stimulus buyers are going to default and it will be a tidal wave of preowned vehicles.

Sponsored

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
And my god how far Kia has come... #3 on the list sandwiched right between some big luxury brands. Gott be that Telluride? People go nuts for that thing.
Yes, people are paying $5K-$10K over MSRP for Tellurides. My co-worker (an otherwise well informed and frugal guy) paid $5K over for one - wife really wanted it to replace the minivan.

People are insanely going after these 3-row SUVs. Don't be surprised if Jeep offers jump seats or an "L" 3-row version of the Wrangler soon. Anything with 3 rows sells 3 times as fast it seems.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
There wasn't a new Jeep worth 50k in 2018 when I bought mine, and there still isnt a new Jeep worth 50k today. Its just WAY too much money for what you get.
I agree. I love Jeeps, always have and I’ve owned several but 50 large plus for a Wrangler is insane. I also cannot conceive of paying MORE than MSRP for a vehicle. I’ve bought >40 NEW vehicles in my life and I’ve yet to even pay MSRP, much less MORE. I know the market is nuts today, but come on. If you pay msrp the dealer is making a chunk. every single penny above msrp is pure profit for the dealer, and is simply making the gullible public. This is a classic way of finding yourself upside down on a loan. Don’t do it-you WILL be sorry…

JeeperKeeper

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Willy’s Unlimited
According to Edmunds (link below) 82.2% of car buyers (all brands) paid over MSRP in January.

"According to the car shopping experts at Edmunds, buyers paid above MSRP in a record 82.2% of all new vehicle purchases, compared to 2.8% in January 2021 and 0.3% in January 2020." (so if you feel the market is different now, it is in fact very different, not your imagination)

Also reported Jeep's Average Transaction Prices (ATP) are now $49,573 (rounds to $50K) with the average MSRP of $49,220. So the average Jeep buyer is paying ˜$350 over MSRP. Still not as bad as other brands.

https://www.edmunds.com/industry/pr...vehicles-in-january-according-to-edmunds.html

1644960923787.png
The quality is literally not worth that much cash

JeeperKeeper

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Willy’s Unlimited
So last month as I was just about to order a new Rubicon JL Jeep raised prices approx4% so now the dilemma... are prices going to keep going up? Any chance they come down within the year? Or do I just bite the bullet?
It will keep going up inflation is not going to be contained with this administration but it now

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
This is truly a scary situation occurring throughout the country. This ridiculous trend (overpaying MSRP) is going to be the new "housing market" collapse we experienced a few years back...but worse. Worse because a ton more folks are doing it. There will be some that are $15-$20k+ upside down on a vehicle that will be 3-4yrs old and have no way of trading or getting a loan on a new car without paying a crazy interest rate. Blows my mind that people are doing this
The solution is simple only buy what you can afford.
Most people have egos bigger than their checkbook.

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I was satisfied paying MSRP for my 392 when the other dealers I checked wanted 5k to 20K over. Yep— MSRP was the “good deal” it’s where we’re unfortunately at 😖

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
Take a look at new C8 corvettes. 20-50K over MSRP. Yes you can put down a deposit and wait a year or longer and pay MSRP. If you want it sooner your going to pay for it. I got on a list 14 months ago and my 3LT, Z51 HTC was built 2/11 and is at the NCM waiting for me to pick it up and bring it home. I don't even have it yet and I'm being offered 20K over MSRP for it. They go a little higher and I might just sell it.

Lilphish

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I just ordered a 2 door Rubicon a few weeks ago. I put down $1000 and the cost they gave me was basically MSRP. I signed up for the Tread Lightly program. The difference between MSRP and Invoice is near 4k. They should lower my cost by this -1% correct? I'm hoping I don't have issues when I go to pick this up (whenever that will be).

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
I just ordered a 2 door Rubicon a few weeks ago. I put down $1000 and the cost they gave me was basically MSRP. I signed up for the Tread Lightly program. The difference between MSRP and Invoice is near 4k. They should lower my cost by this -1% correct? I'm hoping I don't have issues when I go to pick this up (whenever that will be).
You should contact them regarding the Tread Lightly discount. Dealers are not required to accept affiliate discounts