First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Photographer
That's kind of what I thought. One possibility would be to put a small, out of the way on/off switch on the wire from the high beam to the relay. I usually have the switch in high beam mode but sometimes it's nice to not have both on at once, especially in urban areas.
I figured there would be a way to involve the high beam switch and the aux switch via external methods, but that's above my pay grade / I'm happy where I'm at haha.
Sponsored

GreyFang

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
I wonder if it will be possible to connect these switches to devices on a secondary battery in a dual battery kit.
I have this exact question, How can these customizable circuits (plus other "house" accessory circuits) be pulled off the main battery and put on the auxiliary battery? I'm guessing the wiring harness at the primary red terminal could be separated out with just the starter motor wire staying on the cranking battery?

Fizzlepop

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I'm sorry to necro this thread, but while digging through the aux wiring under the glove box I came across a single green/white wire that is wire shrunk off, and seems to come from a different area than the aux switch bundle. Does anyone know what it is? I'm hoping it's a ground that I can use to ground my CB

20190819_115835.jpg

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
I'm sorry to necro this thread, but while digging through the aux wiring under the glove box I came across a single green/white wire that is wire shrunk off, and seems to come from a different area than the aux switch bundle. Does anyone know what it is? I'm hoping it's a ground that I can use to ground my CB

20190819_115835.jpg
Not sure what that wire is, but likely not a ground since they weren't kind enough to provide one under the hood of the Jeep.

If you're looking for a points to run a ground to, there should be dedicated points under the dash behind one of the kick panels. At least that's how it was on my JK.

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL

20190819_115835.jpg
Not sure what it is ether but you can Ground you cb on a bolt that can be found by opening your passenger door and looking on the side of the dash. There is a plate that you can remove and you will see the bolt you can use.

Hope this helps!

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I'm pretty sure that is the Brake signal wire for a trailer brake controller
Just thought I should add this to the thread for future reference, the brake signal wire is in the right kick panel like @LoganDzwon thought but it is a single wire taped to the vertical wire bundle in the right kick panel. It is a dark green/white wire. See the link below.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/UPFITTERS.pdf

It is called upfitters accessory 2 which is located near the auxiliary switch wiring inside the cabin. If you don’t have the auxiliary switches don’t worry the one wire is there, see this thread.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/what-is-this-wire.32885/

Hope this will help others in the future.

Gregj

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, , 2019 Honda Pilot Elite, 2014 BMW 535i Xdrive
I just had the Aux Switch Kit installed in my 2020 Rubicon (82215798AD). All seems correct with the exception of the four wires in the engine compartment are all the same gauge. From all the videos and pictures I have seen two were to be thicker for higher amp use. Thoughts?

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just had the Aux Switch Kit installed in my 2020 Rubicon (82215798AD). All seems correct with the exception of the four wires in the engine compartment are all the same gauge. From all the videos and pictures I have seen two were to be thicker for higher amp use. Thoughts?
If all four wires have power, I can't say it's anything I'd really be concerned about. Jeep may have updated the wiring between the time the original post was made and you purchased the kit. Looking at the part #, it seems that is quite possible judging by the AD at the end (pretty sure that denotes the version of the part which normally starts with AA).

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
AUXILIARY SWITCHES

Four auxiliary switches located in the lower switch bank of the instrument panel can be used to power various electrical devices. You have the ability to configure the functionality of the auxiliary switches via the Uconnect settings. All switches can be configured for setting the switch type operation to latching or momentary, power source of either battery or ignition, and ability to hold last state across key cycles.

2018-JL-Wrangler-Auxiliary-Switches.jpg

The auxiliary switches control relays that power four blunt cut wires located in the interior passenger outboard foot well area and on the right side of the engine compartment near the battery.

In addition to the four auxiliary switch wires, a fused battery wire and ignition wire are also located in the interior, in the passenger out- board foot well area.

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-Auxiliary-Switches.jpg

Conveniently, Jeep also includes a kit of splices and heat shrink tubing provided with the auxiliary switches to aid in the connection/installation of your electrical devices!
I think it's about time they started giving us the option to customize our vehicles. I'm still not happy about them locking down the ECU's!!! :(

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it's about time they started giving us the option to customize our vehicles. I'm still not happy about them locking down the ECU's!!! :(
Not sure what rock you've been hiding under, but the Wrangler is and has been one of the most customizable vehicles on the market. ;)

As for the ECU's being locked down, that's different from customizing. Yeah it totally sucks that they're doing it, however I can see the other side of that as well. You leave the ECU open it opens up a can of worms of people tinkering around where they have no business tinkering around. They screw something up and then expect Jeep to cover it under warranty.

Sponsored

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, , 2019 Honda Pilot Elite, 2014 BMW 535i Xdrive
I found a clearer picture on the web of the AD part number. It does show all wires the same gauge as mine has. I also checked fuses on my install and they are Aux1 40amp, Aux2 15amp, Aux3 40amp and Aux4 15amp.

auxswitch.PNG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Can you - or anyone else - confirm whether or not any of the wires are also routed inside to the cabin (in the footwell) on the non-factory install? I seem to be reading conflicting reports of this, or maybe I'm just misunderstanding. I've read in this thread that you only get 4 wires instead of 6 (the extra two from the factory being an ignition and always-on wire) but are those 4 wires routed inside the cabin, or just under the hood?

And if the internal wire routing still isn't included in the latest kits, is this something anyone has asked their dealer to customize for them to duplicate that functionality?

Cutterwolf

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL, 1963 Ford Fairlane, 2012 Honda Civic EXL
Can you - or anyone else - confirm whether or not any of the wires are also routed inside to the cabin (in the footwell) on the non-factory install? I seem to be reading conflicting reports of this, or maybe I'm just misunderstanding. I've read in this thread that you only get 4 wires instead of 6 (the extra two from the factory being an ignition and always-on wire) but are those 4 wires routed inside the cabin, or just under the hood?

And if the internal wire routing still isn't included in the latest kits, is this something anyone has asked their dealer to customize for them to duplicate that functionality?
I installed my own kit and i can confirm i have the 4 wires both inside (under foot well) and outside (under hood)....to be honest i don't remember seeing the extra 2 .(not to say they are not there.i just don.t remember),but the 4/4 are there for sure...remember you can only use EITHER the ones inside or outside. for example: if you use #4 outside you can not use #4 inside as well...you'd be surprise how many people use both.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
They're not there. If you have it from factory you get the extra 2 wires. Not sure why the aftermarket if its OEM doesn't include them but I can conform mine only had the 4 inside and out.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So it does at least include the 4 internal wires? That's good because I thought I read they didn't.

Theoretically I suppose it'd be possible to repurpose one of those wires as an ignition/always-on wire with a yet-to-be-released aftermarket part or some ingenuity?
Sponsored