Auxiliary (AUX) Switches Configuration/Installation DIY

galvezm22

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
If you added these via the Mopar Kit as I did, then you won't have the fuses in the same location as your other factory fuses. Essentially, they are part of the kit and built into the harness that comes with it.

After kit installation and having the dealer flash your Jeep, it can take a bit of time for the switches to fully activate. This is where I hate the Mopar solution as it seems to be tied to the head unit.

It took 24hours for my head unit to recognize that the AUX Switches had been added to my VIN (i.e. dealer "flash"). You should see them listed on you vehicles profile on the Mopar site post flash.

Only then would the switches operate and the AUX menu show in settings.
09D494CE-57A3-4B86-82F0-944AFDA06304.png
The auxiliary switches do show up on the Mopar site. I forgot to mention but my ESS is also flashing on the dash. I also checked the Orange wire I re
Sponsored

Joverland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Overland Unlimited.
Argh, I asked my dealer if they could get some Mopar Aux switches. They can... now found out they don't work with diesel engines. Does anyone know why the MOPAR electrical aux switches would be incompatible with a diesel engine? Baffles me. Would this be the same for any switch bank - i.e.not for diesel?

brsasquatch

First Name
BR SSQTCH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSp - Sting Grey
Build Thread
Link
Not sure if this question was asked here.

I have my radio connected to IGNITION HOT in the cabin Aux Cable.

Planning to connect some small lights on my roof rack sides, the on off button is already on the rack from a previous car and all wired up. Just need the pods installed. Wondering if I can connect to the IGNITION HOT on the engine bay to run both the radio and the pods. The Pods are low amperage and just to illuminate camp setup at night. They will not be used as "work lights".

Thanks
GD

hybrid_eg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'90 S13, 22 MS Plaid, '23 JLUR 4xe
Hello, i just realized that i miserably failed.. forgot to order the AUX/Tow package on my $XE build and car just got here. I think i missed it during rush order process as I saw TOW and figured i can get that later but missed AUX part which i was really looking forward to and was under impression entire time that it was part of my order!

I wanted to see if anyone knows if the car still has the 7 and 4 pin harness? And if one can buy OEM AUX switch panel and install it along with upgrade to 700 amp battery? Reason i ask; some MFR's include the wiring in there anyway in event upgrades are done later but perhaps its not there from Jeep.. if its not there i wonder if that harness could still be added or better to just go aftermarket like RC MCL-6 or equivalent? I was really hoping for clean factory AUX switchbox.. darn it soo upset!

Thanks all!

Sponsored

Gmanjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
@aw2657

Indeed, the direct to battery wire in the passenger foot well appears to be the same gauge wire as the Aux 3 and 4 wires which are rated at 15 amp.. No where that I know of, is it mentioned though, that the direct to battery wire is rated at 15 amp ... and as you mentioned FCA, has a 10 amp fuse in there and may be for a very good reason.... who knows..

With that said, I don't think I myself would use the direct to battery wire for your accessory that is drawing over 10 amp, possibly 15 amp. Sure, maybe no problem but...

There are other easy ways to get that accessory the 15 amp it needs. You could use Aux 1 or Aux 2.
You could use a $24 Cool Tech Power port, you could piggy back off a fuse in the PDC, Quadratec has an adapter, cargo power outlet, etc., etc.

By the way, If you have an automatic tranny, you will find a grommet on the driver's side firewall, where you can get through the firewall very very easily, to facilitate running your power wire to the PDC ...

In closing, sure you might be aok ?? .... but with a trailer brake controller, do you really want to risk a braking related incident, due to loss of power and and/or risk damage to the JL itself due to wire overload...
I have a cobra 74 CB radio to install on my 22 Jeep jl two door. I will probably attach it behind the glove box and attach the power (red) wire to either the ignition or direct battery wire in the factory auxiliary switch bundle I found in the passenger side footwell.

i am leaning towards using the ignition wire. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Also, I have read that the best grounding spot is bottom lug behind the passenger side kick plate (which is a bit of a pain to get to). I have looked for other ground sources, especially behind the glove box, but could Not find any. D you know of a spot other than the one behind the passenger side kick panel?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I have a cobra 74 CB radio to install on my 22 Jeep jl two door. I will probably attach it behind the glove box and attach the power (red) wire to either the ignition or direct battery wire in the factory auxiliary switch bundle I found in the passenger side footwell.

i am leaning towards using the ignition wire. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Also, I have read that the best grounding spot is bottom lug behind the passenger side kick plate (which is a bit of a pain to get to). I have looked for other ground sources, especially behind the glove box, but could Not find any. D you know of a spot other than the one behind the passenger side kick panel?
@Gmanjeeper

For a CB radio use the "Direct to Battery" wire. It is fused at 10 amp so, do also have an inline fuse to your CB that is fuse rated as per the CB manufacturer's recommendations. Just be sure the CB has proper fuse protection!

In regard to CB, most CB guys/gals will tell you direct to battery connect is best for CB radios... because less interference with direct to battery connection.

You can look around but known good ground point is that one you mention behind the kick panel. I find that ground point is really not that hard to access..

Do be sure to clean off any paint, etc. on that bolt/ground point / any ground point your use, before you hook up to it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Auxiliary (AUX) Switches Configuration/Installation DIY footground

Gmanjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
@Gmanjeeper

For a CB radio use the "Direct to Battery" wire. It is fused at 10 amp so, do also have an inline fuse to your CB that is fuse rated as per the CB manufacturer's recommendations. Just be sure the CB has proper fuse protection!

In regard to CB, most CB guys/gals will tell you direct to battery connect is best for CB radios... because less interference.

You can look around but know good ground point is that one you mention behind the kick panel. I find it is not that hard to access.. Do be sure to clean off any paint, etc. on that bolt/ground point before you hook up to it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Auxiliary (AUX) Switches Configuration/Installation DIY footground
Thanks

RockinRobin

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
AUXILIARY SWITCHES

Four auxiliary switches located in the lower switch bank of the instrument panel can be used to power various electrical devices. You have the ability to configure the functionality of the auxiliary switches via the Uconnect settings. All switches can be configured for setting the switch type operation to latching or momentary, power source of either battery or ignition, and ability to hold last state across key cycles.

The auxiliary switches control relays that power four blunt cut wires located in the interior passenger outboard foot well area and on the right side of the engine compartment near the battery.

In addition to the four auxiliary switch wires, a fused battery wire and ignition wire are also located in the interior, in the passenger out- board foot well area.

Conveniently, Jeep also includes a kit of splices and heat shrink tubing provided with the auxiliary switches to aid in the connection/installation of your electrical devices!
Do you think the wiring Harness is there even you dont have switch panel? seems like a pretty small issue to be changing from one order to the next

Trav73

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLUR
Do you think the wiring Harness is there even you dont have switch panel? seems like a pretty small issue to be changing from one order to the next
On my 2021 JL Rubicon (factory without the AUX switch/tow package) the 7-pin plug is there. The cubby has a small dummy slot on it to keep the plug from flopping around. And if you buy the switch and have the dealership activate the AUX option on your VIN, the switch lights up and uConnect settings work. However, there are no relays in the fuse box or the 4 AUX wires under the glove box or hood. I would love to find out from someone if they were able to use the Mopar AUX kit with this existing plug, saving the extra wiring hassle. This is the plug, so essentially after they AUX kit is installed by their instructions you end up with two 7 pin connectors behind your center console.

2023-05-04_13-24-27.png
Sponsored