Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Gang:
Couldnt find this answer around....wanted to wire both CB and dashcam to the footwell ignition wire (I have the AUX switches). My question is: what's the max AMP on that wire? I'll obviously use separate fuses for each application, but didnt know the max that i can pull on that wire. Thanks! :fist bump:
Sponsored

DrBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Hey Gang:
Couldnt find this answer around....wanted to wire both CB and dashcam to the footwell ignition wire (I have the AUX switches). My question is: what's the max AMP on that wire? I'll obviously use separate fuses for each application, but didnt know the max that i can pull on that wire. Thanks! :fist bump:
10 Amps according to the owner's manual.

TMac99

First Name
Tracey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
If you need more than 10 amps, you could use one of the Aux wires - either 15 or 40 amps - see attached diagram.

Untitled.png

OP
OP
jlewissystem

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
If you need more than 10 amps, you could use one of the Aux wires - either 15 or 40 amps - see attached diagram.

Untitled.png
Thanks! i intend to use all of the 1-4AUX leads, but thanks for the reference. :fist bump: Dont know how i cant find things sometimes. :facepalm:

Sponsored

4xnaz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Gang:
I did exactly as you intend to do and haven't had any issues with both my dash cam and CB feeding off the hot wire in the passenger side foot well.

OP
OP
jlewissystem

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I did exactly as you intend to do and haven't had any issues with both my dash cam and CB feeding off the hot wire in the passenger side foot well.
Perfect, thank you sir!

Midwesttrekker

First Name
Galen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Granite Crystal Ordered 7/19. 2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Great thread! @jlewissystem I’m nearby — O’Fallon. Anyway, I’m just curious why you decided to go with a CB over Ham or gmrs?

Just ordered by JLU Rubicon today... hoping to have it before Aug 30.

OP
OP
jlewissystem

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Great thread! @jlewissystem I’m nearby — O’Fallon. Anyway, I’m just curious why you decided to go with a CB over Ham or gmrs?

Just ordered by JLU Rubicon today... hoping to have it before Aug 30.
Hey neighbor! We're in St. Peters...we'll have to meet up sometime. You know - i have REALLY limited knowledge in this space and assumed that CB would fit my needs: hwy chatter/awareness and trail communication. I haven't done much research, but HAM & GMRS seemed to be more complex and overkill for my simple needs. Feel free to convince me otherwise.....i HATE spending money on my Jeep and modding! :LOL:

Midwesttrekker

First Name
Galen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Granite Crystal Ordered 7/19. 2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Hey neighbor! We're in St. Peters...we'll have to meet up sometime. You know - i have REALLY limited knowledge in this space and assumed that CB would fit my needs: hwy chatter/awareness and trail communication. I haven't done much research, but HAM & GMRS seemed to be more complex and overkill for my simple needs. Feel free to convince me otherwise.....i HATE spending money on my Jeep and modding! :LOL:
St Peters, that's really close!! I've been following your build thread. You and your wife's jeeps are sweet! I'd really like to meet up and check out what you're doing on your builds. I think I will probably stay at stock height, maybe go to 35s when I need new tires, but plan to add more lights, a winch, and the interior upgrades for phone, tablet, cb, & ham radio. I also have an iKamper RTT on order.

According to some youtube vloggers (TrailRecon, etc) http://y2u.be/aiv8Pn80CNU, http://y2u.be/fndfrbzrlrQ CB is more or less dying, supposedly not even a lot of truckers still use it. You can do more with ham, and the communication can extend way past CB. For technician class amateur radio communication, as long as you have basic line of sight you spread out over 5 miles and still talk clearly with others. I got the book (https://amzn.com/1625950829) to take the test for the technician class license. It looks really easy... Overland_Addict (on youtube, from Springfield MO) took the test after only one night studying up for it. You can get some really cool radio setups like this (https:amzn.com/B0182SG7PS) or just use handhelds. When my JLUR comes in, I may get a CB too because I suspect maybe its used more in the midwest than on the coasts, but I'm definitely going to run a ham radio too.

The wait for my Wrangler is killing me.

OP
OP
jlewissystem

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
St Peters, that's really close!! I've been following your build thread. You and your wife's jeeps are sweet! I'd really like to meet up and check out what you're doing on your builds. I think I will probably stay at stock height, maybe go to 35s when I need new tires, but plan to add more lights, a winch, and the interior upgrades for phone, tablet, cb, & ham radio. I also have an iKamper RTT on order.

According to some youtube vloggers (TrailRecon, etc) http://y2u.be/aiv8Pn80CNU, http://y2u.be/fndfrbzrlrQ CB is more or less dying, supposedly not even a lot of truckers still use it. You can do more with ham, and the communication can extend way past CB. For technician class amateur radio communication, as long as you have basic line of sight you spread out over 5 miles and still talk clearly with others. I got the book (https://amzn.com/1625950829) to take the test for the technician class license. It looks really easy... Overland_Addict (on youtube, from Springfield MO) took the test after only one night studying up for it. You can get some really cool radio setups like this (https:amzn.com/B0182SG7PS) or just use handhelds. When my JLUR comes in, I may get a CB too because I suspect maybe its used more in the midwest than on the coasts, but I'm definitely going to run a ham radio too.

The wait for my Wrangler is killing me.
Thanks for the compliments and info! These have been fun builds so far! I will have to look further into the radios. I made an assumption based off of my needs and will revisit. Feel free to shoot me a PM, we can meet up sometime. The wait is the worst!! Congrats on your order and hopefully it comes quick! :fist bump::rock:
Sponsored