Sponsored

Aux wiring & after-market harnesses

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!
So I have a pair of PIAA LP 560 LED driving lamps that I'm installing. I have the aux kit and was just planning on running to Aux 3, and was going to cut out the harnesses relays & fuses altogether. Piece of cake.

So even though it is an easy job I am OCD and went through every aspect of the harness to see if there were any tricks. Turns out that the harness has a 20 amp fuse and some heavier 14 or 12 gauge wire coming out of the relay to the battery, ground, and included switch (the wires from the lamps are 16g) Now I'm scratching my head, because according to the general info on the PIAA website these lights shouldn't put out more than 1.5 amps each (there is not a very good specifications page for the specific lights I have). I have an email into PIAA but wanted to finish this up this weekend so turning here for some advice.

Should I just go ahead and cut the harness out and wire it up to Aux 3? Is it possible to swap out the 15 amp with the 20 amp in the main fuse box?

20190413_162228.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
rommel102

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!
Getting ready to wire-up the same set of lights. How did you end up doing this?
I spoke with PIAA and they basically said they just include the heavier duty fuse as a safeguard against other connected equipment, not the lights themselves. I cut the harness out completely and went ahead with wiring directly to Aux 3 and it has been working flawlessly since.

If you want to see how I mounted them I did a short write-up.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/lights-mounted-to-standard-bumper.5632/post-654958

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
I spoke with PIAA and they basically said they just include the heavier duty fuse as a safeguard against other connected equipment, not the lights themselves. I cut the harness out completely and went ahead with wiring directly to Aux 3 and it has been working flawlessly since.

If you want to see how I mounted them I did a short write-up.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/lights-mounted-to-standard-bumper.5632/post-654958
Thanks for that information. I think I got it once I find the time.

JerseyDIrt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Looking to buy a set of these PIAA 560 lights. Any feedback on how bright they are? In the pics I have seen, they don't look too bright. How would you compare them to the factory LED low and high beams?

Thanks.

Sponsored

SikkoBassta

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Willys
I cut mine at the connector for the switch (black, white, blue) I wired the black direct to the battery, and the blue to my aux switch harness. Works great!

All this does is keep the integrity of their wiring harness with their fuses / relay.

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
Looking to buy a set of these PIAA 560 lights. Any feedback on how bright they are? In the pics I have seen, they don't look too bright. How would you compare them to the factory LED low and high beams?

Thanks.
The driving light pattern is very similar to the OEM LED high beams. They're great lights but I might suggest getting a different pattern if you have the factory LEDs.

JerseyDIrt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Thanks. I ended up getting these PIAAs and am very happy with them. I think they have the reach of the high beams but are slightly brighter. When I have the low beams on and turn on the PIAAs, I get a ton more reach. When I have the high beams on and turn on the PIAAs, I don't get much more reach but I do get much more light within the high beam area.
Sponsored