Aux switches

AngieGal816

First Name
Angie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1948 Willys, 22 Rubicon XR, 23 Willys XR ordered
So I totally forgot to add in aux switches when I ordered my Rubicon :facepalm: How hard is it to add them? Suggestions on what aftermarket aux switches, etc do you all recommend? Thanks!
Sponsored

lashlee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR 2.0 Turbo 4 (Wife's), Tesla M3P (mine)
I've installed a set in a JTR, took me about 2 hours or so, but I used to be a car audio installer. In general it's not bad, and integrates cleaner than an aftermarket solution. In my wife's JLUR that were factory installed I used one of the badge glow simpleaux adapters for the under hood connections.

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
You can order the Mopar switches and harness and install yourself or pay the dealer. I did this sort of. I bought the OEM switch and harness. Install is pretty straightforward but there are 2 tricky parts. The wire bundle is big so it took some work getting it through the firewall.

2nd tricky part is connecting the new wiring to the wire bundle in the passenger side footwell and this is where I messed up. you have to remove a wire from the plug in the footwell and replace it with one from the wire bundle you are installing. I messed up trying to remove that wire and almost cut through it. If you can get past this the rest is easy just removing lower dash panels and AC controls to install the switches and connect them to the new wires you ran.

I attempted this the 1st weekend I had my JLUR back in march. Switches are in but not working because I haven't made that connection in the footwell. I don't want to take chance of cutting that wire and really screwing something up.

Trying to decide on next steps. Option are take to dealer and have them finishing the wiring but I am afraid that will be very pricey. Option 2 remove what I installed and sell it for what I can get for it( been installed but never used so basically brand new) and then install a Voswitch which is much easier process since it doesn't get wired in to the wiring bundle in the Jeep.

Or if there is anyone in the DFW area that is good with wiring and wants to help let me know.

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
When did you place your order, maybe contact your dealer.
Also... The tow package has other benefits than just the aux switches. When I bought my jlur off the lot it didn't have the tow package. I included it into the price negotiation for much cheaper that it would have cost me to install it on parts alone.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
You can order the Mopar switches and harness and install yourself or pay the dealer. I did this sort of. I bought the OEM switch and harness. Install is pretty straightforward but there are 2 tricky parts. The wire bundle is big so it took some work getting it through the firewall.

2nd tricky part is connecting the new wiring to the wire bundle in the passenger side footwell and this is where I messed up. you have to remove a wire from the plug in the footwell and replace it with one from the wire bundle you are installing. I messed up trying to remove that wire and almost cut through it. If you can get past this the rest is easy just removing lower dash panels and AC controls to install the switches and connect them to the new wires you ran.

I attempted this the 1st weekend I had my JLUR back in march. Switches are in but not working because I haven't made that connection in the footwell. I don't want to take chance of cutting that wire and really screwing something up.

Trying to decide on next steps. Option are take to dealer and have them finishing the wiring but I am afraid that will be very pricey. Option 2 remove what I installed and sell it for what I can get for it( been installed but never used so basically brand new) and then install a Voswitch which is much easier process since it doesn't get wired in to the wiring bundle in the Jeep/
That wire gets connected through the add on connector anyways. Should be able to cut/strip and crimp on a new pin.

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
That wire gets connected through the add on connector anyways. Should be able to cut/strip and crimp on a new pin.
I am not that talented and concerned I would screw it up royally. I think I messed up the plug trying to get the orange wire out and that pin is stuck in there and not a lot of wire to work with soldering based on where I damaged it.

OP
OP
AngieGal816

AngieGal816

First Name
Angie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Trying to decide on next steps. Option are take to dealer and have them finishing the wiring but I am afraid that will be very pricey. Option 2 remove what I installed and sell it for what I can get for it( been installed but never used so basically brand new) and then install a Voswitch which is much easier process since it doesn't get wired in to the wiring bundle in the Jeep.

Or if there is anyone in the DFW area that is good with wiring and wants to help let me know.
I was looking into the Voswitch. Looks like a good possibility.

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Voswitch
Auxbeam
SPod

All good options and pretty easy installs. It really depends on how many switches you’re looking to add and what works for your needs.
I will say that Spod and Auxbeam make wiring up accessories super easy. I haven’t personally installed a Voswitch, but it’s the same idea as the rest of them.

OP
OP
AngieGal816

AngieGal816

First Name
Angie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Voswitch
Auxbeam
SPod

All good options and pretty easy installs. It really depends on how many switches you’re looking to add and what works for your needs.
I will say that Spod and Auxbeam make wiring up accessories super easy. I haven’t personally installed a Voswitch, but it’s the same idea as the rest of them.
I'll have to check out SPod and Auxbeam. Thank you!

Sponsored

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
@Lasfit lights sells a 2-part AUX switch panel. If you are Rubicon just order the right side. If you are sport/sahara/willys go for the full kit.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2018-2022 Auxiliary Switch Panel Bank Kit (lasfit.com)

this is what it looks like installed. (on a Sahara)
The red side left switches for the locker are CANBUS controlled, so they will work only in 4LO
the Aux A and Aux B on the red side operate like normal switches.

I have my front and rear ARB lockers wired up to the locker switches and the compressor is on Aux A. Rest of the switches are just there.. until the time I find ways to sink more money into my Jeep :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Aux switches 1659637060778

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
That's a cool spot for a GMRS/ethernet line, wish I could do that but I've got rubicon switches in the way IIRC

jim00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
My understanding is even if you install the Mopar stuff yourself, you have to visit the dealer to have them activate the switches so they appear in the display's Settings which is where you configure it. Can someone confirm?

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
My understanding is even if you install the Mopar stuff yourself, you have to visit the dealer to have them activate the switches so they appear in the display's Settings which is where you configure it. Can someone confirm?
Factory switches can also be activated with Tazer. I think JScan also works.
Sponsored