David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I got this message. I had a OBD bluetooth reader plugged in than was keeping the rig awake. It would kill the battery in a week or so. Jumped the rig, ditched the reader. All has been good since.
Sponsored

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
My dealer said he's been seeing 2-3x of these a day the past month. Might be the heat... tends to kill batteries and tires out here.
Probably! I do keep my Jeep in the garage but it’s not cool in there either!!

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

This guy talks about both batteries. They are tied together (by the Jeep) when they are fully charged.

You have to disconnect things to read them individually with a Volt Meter.
Lou: your advice to disconnect the batteries to test them individually is wise but, at least on the 3.6L JL, based on forum member testing, I understand that the batteries are actually in parallel (i.e. tied together as you say) all the time but for ESS events and an instant during engine cranks: cold or post ESS.

OP
OP
lookitsadam

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Thanks for the input guys! I ended up taking my Jeep to the dealer and they replaced both the main and aux batteries and I haven't had any issues since.

The tech said they test the batteries to see how long they hold a charge and mine were the worst he's ever seen lol. I guess the heat down here in Florida combined with the decline in driving due to working from home now killed them.

I have noticed that my voltage on the EVIC now hovers around 12.6 while idle and goes up to around 13.5 while driving. This is compared to earlier when I had issues where it was at 14 while idle.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Thanks for the input guys! I ended up taking my Jeep to the dealer and they replaced both the main and aux batteries and I haven't had any issues since.

The tech said they test the batteries to see how long they hold a charge and mine were the worst he's ever seen lol. I guess the heat down here in Florida combined with the decline in driving due to working from home now killed them.

I have noticed that my voltage on the EVIC now hovers around 12.6 while idle and goes up to around 13.5 while driving. This is compared to earlier when I had issues where it was at 14 while idle.
Hummm....... yeah they said my batteries were fine (tested, held charge, charged). Also said they cleared all codes and asked me to drive it to see if it comes back, so we'll see. I haven't gotten the error but I just parked it yest. So will test today.

Glad yours is fixed. Mine always starts at 12.x and goes to 13.5-13.8 while driving. I had to bring it in anyway for (last free) oil change and new cabin filter (20k miles) anyway. Going to do a long drive (~3k round trip) next month so want to ensure everything's good.

Sponsored

wmwfour

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
@lookitsadam

The same scenario comes up here pretty frequently.. Forum search and you will find plenty of JL owner's that have experienced similar.. There are lts of thread that will get you up to speed so to speak in regard to the JL's batteries..

Suggest you get a Battery Tender attached to that JL, as soon as you can.

Attach the cables of the tender to the Main batteries Pos and Neg. terminals. Do this and both batteries will get charged.

Give your JL a few hours until the tender indicates charged. Remove the tender and get back to regular activities.

Sure, you may have a bad/iffy Main battery of quite possibly your USE of the JL routine saw the battery(s) deplete and thus your Aux switch message and the issue when you tried to start it.

Assess your use routine. Is the JL, sitting unused most of the time or lots of the time. Are you doing frequent stop starts and little driving time. Do you leave the fob in the JL, 24/7.... and on and on..

Very good chance your issue will be no more after you charge with a tender. Of course, if it does not, then bother to look further / take to Service Dept.

For the record, I had the Aux disable scenario early on with my JL. Turned out my Tazer JL had caused the batteries to become partially depleted.. Got it on a battery tender and I also, corrected the issue with the Tazer and that Aux disabled issue was history..
What was the Taser issue? Mine is doing the same thing now and it's a 2022 with only 1100 miles.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
What was the Taser issue? Mine is doing the same thing now and it's a 2022 with only 1100 miles.
Issue was I did not turn off, In Motion Nav, Tazer JL feature after using. JL, had repeated UConnect reboots which over the course of the night parked, depleted both batteries.. Since my issue in 2018, Joe Z. placed in instructions, a sorta warning to turn off that feature after using it or else....

wmwfour

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Issue was I did not turn off, In Motion Nav, Tazer JL feature after using. JL, had repeated UConnect reboots which over the course of the night parked, depleted both batteries.. Since my issue in 2018, Joe Z. placed in instructions, a sorta warning to turn off that feature after using it or else....
I don't use that feature yet, I wonder if it is default on or if it is something else? It's not my daily driver so I am waiting until I have time to voltmeter the whole damn thing to check for parasitic draw. Planning on bypassing the aux battery too.

Izzo93

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Jeep JLUS, '23 2500 Duramax, 23’ RAM 1500
Occupation
Operator Maintenance Technician III
@lookitsadam

The same scenario comes up here pretty frequently.. Forum search and you will find plenty of JL owner's that have experienced similar.. There are lts of thread that will get you up to speed so to speak in regard to the JL's batteries..

Suggest you get a Battery Tender attached to that JL, as soon as you can.

Attach the cables of the tender to the Main batteries Pos and Neg. terminals. Do this and both batteries will get charged.

Give your JL a few hours until the tender indicates charged. Remove the tender and get back to regular activities.

Sure, you may have a bad/iffy Main battery of quite possibly your USE of the JL routine saw the battery(s) deplete and thus your Aux switch message and the issue when you tried to start it.

Assess your use routine. Is the JL, sitting unused most of the time or lots of the time. Are you doing frequent stop starts and little driving time. Do you leave the fob in the JL, 24/7.... and on and on..

Very good chance your issue will be no more after you charge with a tender. Of course, if it does not, then bother to look further / take to Service Dept.

For the record, I had the Aux disable scenario early on with my JL. Turned out my Tazer JL had caused the batteries to become partially depleted.. Got it on a battery tender and I also, corrected the issue with the Tazer and that Aux disabled issue was history..
Rinebeck, you have to be one of the top most knowledgeable/ electronic savvy forum members to date lol.

So I recently after a few years have finally got this issue.

changed my main battery, long story short a month or so later, Jeep won’t start. Changed my aux battery (today), unmarried, full- rebooted my Tazer x2, and as we speak just updated the latest firmware 11.3.9.

I am planning on plugging my Tazer back in, re-marrying, and seeing what happens.

my only thought is that it may be Tazer related. I never had battery and or cranking issues till as of the last couple weeks.

the only thing I have done is usually leave my Fob inside the Jeep which I quit doing due to possible battery drainage issues….

I have searched the forum, and have been a member on here for a few years now. And I know you are big on doing your research before asking commonly asked questions….

with that being said,

my Tazer Mini (which it didn’t used to do until of recent), when I plug it in, it does it’s green, red, & orange flashing light sequences to initiate. Afterwords, the red light, and the red light only is in constant flashing of just the red light. Every few seconds or so. Which it never did before.

then I started having these battery & cranking related issues….

With all that being said, that initiated my action to unmarry / full reboot / x2 sleep cycle the programmer, and as we speak update it to the latest firmware…

anything out of the norm? Or should I be fine to go plug it back in, re marry it, full reboot, & 2 sleep cycles and it should be fine?

Thanks,

Nathan

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Izzo93

Well, I would leave the Tazer JL unmarried and not installed for the next few days... I'd also, today .... get a battery tender maintainer hooked up and let it work on both the Main and Aux battery until the tender maintainer signals both charged..

Do this and go a few days and see how things go... Assure you are a head of any possible battery(2) related issues .....and then, once 100% sure of that, re-install the Tazer JL and remarry it and watch/monitor closely..

? ..... Have you been getting ESS related messages ..

Note: IF you inadvertently blew N3 in the high amp fuse array when you changed out the Main, the Aux would not/will not be getting charged by the alternator.

Sponsored

SargeG81

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
I got the same problem last month, auxiliary switches temp unavailable And my ESS not working. I got a 21 rubicon v6 etorque engine. I always turn off my ESS and for some reason when I turn off my ESS my etorque battery doesn’t charge right. Now that I leave my ESS on, I never have the issue again.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I got the same problem last month, auxiliary switches temp unavailable And my ESS not working. I got a 21 rubicon v6 etorque engine. I always turn off my ESS and for some reason when I turn off my ESS my etorque battery doesn’t charge right. Now that I leave my ESS on, I never have the issue again.
If you are still running your original battery, get ready to replace it.

SargeG81

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
For etorque owner, leave your ESS on. Works for me. Main battery is not the problem for me it’s the 48v that is not charging when my ESS off.

Nikko2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '21 4R TRDP, '21 Supra, '13 LR4, '72 442
Vehicle Showcase
Had the same msg a couple of months back. AUX battery was going. Disconnected it with the bypass before it drained the main battery and all good now. I'm sure I'll have to replace the main battery soon, but still have some life left in it.
Sponsored