First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I got this message. I had a OBD bluetooth reader plugged in than was keeping the rig awake. It would kill the battery in a week or so. Jumped the rig, ditched the reader. All has been good since.
Advertisement

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
My dealer said he's been seeing 2-3x of these a day the past month. Might be the heat... tends to kill batteries and tires out here.
Probably! I do keep my Jeep in the garage but it’s not cool in there either!!

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

This guy talks about both batteries. They are tied together (by the Jeep) when they are fully charged.

You have to disconnect things to read them individually with a Volt Meter.
Lou: your advice to disconnect the batteries to test them individually is wise but, at least on the 3.6L JL, based on forum member testing, I understand that the batteries are actually in parallel (i.e. tied together as you say) all the time but for ESS events and an instant during engine cranks: cold or post ESS.

OP
OP
lookitsadam

lookitsadam

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Thanks for the input guys! I ended up taking my Jeep to the dealer and they replaced both the main and aux batteries and I haven't had any issues since.

The tech said they test the batteries to see how long they hold a charge and mine were the worst he's ever seen lol. I guess the heat down here in Florida combined with the decline in driving due to working from home now killed them.

I have noticed that my voltage on the EVIC now hovers around 12.6 while idle and goes up to around 13.5 while driving. This is compared to earlier when I had issues where it was at 14 while idle.

guarnibl

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Thanks for the input guys! I ended up taking my Jeep to the dealer and they replaced both the main and aux batteries and I haven't had any issues since.

The tech said they test the batteries to see how long they hold a charge and mine were the worst he's ever seen lol. I guess the heat down here in Florida combined with the decline in driving due to working from home now killed them.

I have noticed that my voltage on the EVIC now hovers around 12.6 while idle and goes up to around 13.5 while driving. This is compared to earlier when I had issues where it was at 14 while idle.
Hummm....... yeah they said my batteries were fine (tested, held charge, charged). Also said they cleared all codes and asked me to drive it to see if it comes back, so we'll see. I haven't gotten the error but I just parked it yest. So will test today.

Glad yours is fixed. Mine always starts at 12.x and goes to 13.5-13.8 while driving. I had to bring it in anyway for (last free) oil change and new cabin filter (20k miles) anyway. Going to do a long drive (~3k round trip) next month so want to ensure everything's good.

Advertisement

Jim Marsh Chrysler Jeep

Advertisement