Sponsored

AUX Switches: Cable COLOR CODE Identification (JLUS with Photos and Video)

Marlene

First Name
Marlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Graphic Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Re: AUX Switches: Cable COLOR CODE Identification
Today we installed a lighted whip on the back of the Jeep (mounted it on the tire carrier, relocation bracket / mount).
After much research we wanted to help and/or save others time finding and identifying the AUX cables.

Here is a short video and photo showing the wiring color codes and where to find them to install your Jeep accessories, which will work with your AUX switches.

The interior AUX cables / wires are located inside front passengers side footwell area or foot kick plate area (which the video will show).

Jeep Acc.jpg

Sponsored

Last edited:

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Firecracker Red, 2014 Durango, 1999 Honda CRV
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not pre-wired for aux switches, but the color coded wires will help. I don't see a ground wire. What did you use to ground your accessory?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I'm not pre-wired for aux switches, but the color coded wires will help. I don't see a ground wire. What did you use to ground your accessory?
@msujedi

IF you do not have Aux Switches installed on your JL, how will > "color coded wires will help" ?

Now, you want to know where to ground... are we talking a ground point in the passenger foot well or in the engine compartment?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@msujedi

Here is a ground point in the engine bay by the main battery. Look at where finger points in the pic:
groundpoint by battery.jpg

In this pic, you will see a grounding point in the passenger footwell:

footground.jpeg

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
In this pic, you will see a grounding point in the passenger footwell:

footground.jpeg
Nice. Your pic is exactly what I was looking at on my JL. I thought that bolt with a nut & nothing on it could be a ground point. But, I also found a 'loose' black wire hanging out just above and forward of that ground bolt.
JL ground.jpg

I should be able to butt my negative wire to the black 'shoelace' rather than to the ground bolt. Right?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Marlene

Marlene

First Name
Marlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Graphic Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Nice. Your pic is exactly what I was looking at on my JL. I thought that bolt with a nut & nothing on it could be a ground point. But, I also found a 'loose' black wire hanging out just above and forward of that ground bolt.
JL ground.jpg

I should be able to butt my negative wire to the black 'shoelace' rather than to the ground bolt. Right?

Do you know what that wire is for? I would not assume it is a grounding wire. Did you take the plastic off and unwrap the black tape to see what color you have there? Maybe test with one of those volt meter?
I would ground to the bolt as someone said above.

Personally, My accessory (color whip), we were able to ground to a bolt where the other wires come from, by the hinge coming from the back gate/door (by where the backup camera wires are located).

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you know what that wire is for? I would not assume it is a grounding wire. Did you take the plastic off and unwrap the black tape to see what color you have there? Maybe test with one of those volt meter?
I would ground to the bolt as someone said above.

Personally, My accessory (color whip), we were able to ground to a bolt where the other wires come from, by the hinge coming from the back gate/door (by where the backup camera wires are located).
I ended up grounding to a bolt. But, the more I looked around under the dash the more non-terminating wires and plugs I found. Just makes me wonder what they're for. The one I was holding had black rubber insulation. The tape stopped an inch from the end. If I get around to finding out what the various wires & plugs are for, I'll post the info.

davbrucas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Re: AUX Switches: Cable COLOR CODE Identification
Today we installed a lighted whip on the back of the Jeep (mounted it on the tire carrier, relocation bracket / mount).
After much research we wanted to help and/or save others time finding and identifying the AUX cables.

Here is a short video and photo showing the wiring color codes and where to find them to install your Jeep accessories, which will work with your AUX switches.

The interior AUX cables / wires are located inside front passengers side footwell area or foot kick plate area (which the video will show).

Jeep Acc.jpg

In the first pic, #3 and #5 color descriptions don't match the pic. Which is correct?

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon JLU 2.0t w/ eTorque & Moto Guzzi Griso
Appreciate the info. Watching for updates on how others use the Aux Switches.
Question: I’m thinking of adding a USB port under the dash. (Want to hard wire my phone charger in). Assuming I can just use the direct to battery since I want it always on. Any concerns with tapping into this?

Ribbit

First Name
Jenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
Hi all, I managed to find what I think is the factory wired aux wire bundle on the passenger kick panel of my 2019 JL. My wire colors do not match the great picture on this forum. (My wire colors under the hood do match the listed picture.)

Should there be more than one wire bundle in the passenger kick panel? Or did I just get a unique color scheme? Thanks!

48976.jpeg
Sponsored