Aux switches and Blackvue dashcam installation

Beetle Bailey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, HD Dyna, HD Softail
I purchased a Blackvue dashcam and I want to hardwire to the #4 aux switch. The Blackview has 3 wires…Batt, Acc, and Gnd. Normally I would have no problem hooking up the camera, but I am confused when it comes to the aux switch. I would hook up BATT to blue wire with pink stripe, black wire to GND, but not sure what to do with the ACC wire.

Any help will be appreciated, and THANK YOU in advance.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I'm not sure why you'd want to wire it to a switch.

Your aux switches have a bundle of wires under the glovebox. One of those turns on with the ignition. That's what you probably want to use.

OP
OP
Beetle Bailey

Beetle Bailey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, HD Dyna, HD Softail
The reason I want to wire it to a switch is because there is no switch on the camera to turn it on and off. The only way to shut it off is by pulling out the plug from the side of the camera.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

The reason I want to wire it to a switch is because there is no switch on the camera to turn it on and off. The only way to shut it off is by pulling out the plug from the side of the camera.
That's usually what the accessory wire is for. You connect that to a wire that comes on with the ignition.

Terrymo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR 3.6 ET
Clubs

As @Ratbert said, Orange wire with pink stripe within the auxiliary switch wiring bundle under the passenger dash turns on and off with the ignition. (There’s also a red wire with white stripe that is 12 volt constant) Personally I wouldn’t waste an aux switch on this unless there’s really a need to turn a device on and off with the ignition on.

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
That's usually what the accessory wire is for. You connect that to a wire that comes on with the ignition.
This is exactly how I've got my BlackVue wired and it works great.

zsg1313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys (totaled) 2022 Rubi (6sp 2dr)
I did mine to aux 3, aux 4 to a sub amp. You can set the aux button to remember the last setting so it still comes on automatically.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I did mine to aux 3, aux 4 to a sub amp. You can set the aux button to remember the last setting so it still comes on automatically.
What's the scenario where you'd want to manually turn it off?

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I installed my BlackVue direct to battery and accessory wire as intended. I see no reason to install to a switch. The camera has a parking mode that activates when you turn the engine off. This parking mode will provide recording for a short time after engine off and also if there is an impact detected. Turning it completely off with a switch defeats one of the important benefits of having a BlackVue dash cam.

Been awhile since I installed and set mine up but IIRC, I think there is a low voltage cutoff such that if your vehicle is sitting for an extended time there is no need to worry about excessive battery drain.

Anyways, my Jeep sometimes sits for a week or so at a time and there is no issue, so… what does wiring to a precious aux switch do for you.

Sponsored

zsg1313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys (totaled) 2022 Rubi (6sp 2dr)
What's the scenario where you'd want to manually turn it off?
I really just wanted the option for myself, I still have aux 1 and 2 available and they can be changed easily enough.

JJ_WA

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dakota, 2017 Cherokee, 2023 Willys XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Higher Education
Clubs

As @Ratbert said, Orange wire with pink stripe within the auxiliary switch wiring bundle under the passenger dash turns on and off with the ignition. (There’s also a red wire with white stripe that is 12 volt constant) Personally I wouldn’t waste an aux switch on this unless there’s really a need to turn a device on and off with the ignition on.
Just found this post. It sounds so much more efficient than trying to fish wires through the firewall.

Tapping into the Pink/Orange (Ignition), Red/White (Battery), and the ground on the side wall of the passenger foot well sounds a lot easier than what I was planning on doing. And saving me the work of removing the battery and fuse box under the hood.

I will need to remove the built-in fuses on my dash cam power kit. Instead I'll put couple of inline 10amp fuses (I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy. ;-))

I'm glad this thread's here.
Sponsored