Aux switches 1 and 2 tied together?

RubiCoug

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392. Was '20 Rubicon, '17 Rubicon
I have a weird situation I am trying to wire up a pair of Baja LP6's to switch 1, and a pair of LP4's to switch 2. What I'm finding is that it appears that Aux Switch 1 and 2 both get powered up when I turn on one of the switches (doesn't matter which). Like, they are tied together? Is there a config or setting for this somewhere? Seems really odd to me. Breaking for the night to remove any risk of operator error
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

RubiCoug

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wanted to update this thread.... My aux switches/electrical panel boxes have some sort of a short across the switch 1 and switch 2 lanes. Like there's solder on the board that connects the 2. The 40 amp fuse are on the outboard side of the relay. Even with zero power, I can get continuity between switch 1 and switch 2. It's weird.

So, to the dealer it goes next week... we'll see what they say.

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey
I wanted to update this thread.... My aux switches/electrical panel boxes have some sort of a short across the switch 1 and switch 2 lanes. Like there's solder on the board that connects the 2. The 40 amp fuse are on the outboard side of the relay. Even with zero power, I can get continuity between switch 1 and switch 2. It's weird.

So, to the dealer it goes next week... we'll see what they say.
Thank you for the update. Keep us posted, please.

OP
OP

RubiCoug

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought I'd circle back on this, after getting the Jeep to the dealer for a few days.

The tech confirmed the continuity across circuits 1 and 2. Somewhere on the downstream side of the fuse/relay in the box, the wires are shrink wrapped. Somewhere, things melted, and cross shorted 1 and 2 together. They had to pull back and resolve that in the wiring.

Warranty covered without any questions.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@RubiCoug

Was there anything you did that could have caused that issue between 1 and 2. Doubtful, but figured I'd ask..

OP
OP

RubiCoug

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@RubiCoug

Was there anything you did that could have caused that issue between 1 and 2. Doubtful, but figured I'd ask..
Considering they had to disassemble the electrical box, and I didn't dive in there - I don't know what I could have possibly done.

Those aux switches are meant to hook up 12v products to. All I tried to do was wire up lighting. If there were any issues with my wiring, I would have imagined the fuse blowing.

What could I have done that caused the wires to melt the insulation and cause a short at the head shrink/harness area. What could I, as an installer, do to cause that?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Considering they had to disassemble the electrical box, and I didn't dive in there - I don't know what I could have possibly done.

Those aux switches are meant to hook up 12v products to. All I tried to do was wire up lighting. If there were any issues with my wiring, I would have imagined the fuse blowing.

What could I have done that caused the wires to melt the insulation and cause a short at the head shrink/harness area. What could I, as an installer, do to cause that?
You sound like you think it would be impossible... 8-)

There are scenarios that could have the end result of two wires, etc. fusing together. No point hashing over this.

Glad you got it taken care of by the dealer.
Sponsored