Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
This is the relay. Spendy but I think it's worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001YIPXR2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The cable from the positive post on the battery I sourced locally from Tractor Supply. I couldn't find it in red unfortunately. The thingy in between that cable and the positive post is a fuse that came with the Superwinch TS9500SR. Other than that some red and black wire and some terminal lugs with heat shrink tubing (which I haven't shrunk yet, no heat gun).rounds it out. I used Aux switch 4 for the winch and use Aux switch 3 for a 6" light bar on the front bumper.

Robmypro

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LX570, 2015 GT3
Thanks guys. I am going to give this a go as well. Like the idea of controlling the winch by the aux switch.

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
Quick question, I installed mine per the interrupt kit instructions and now I've lost power to all my aux switches. Any ideas why and how I get the power to the switches back?

Sponsored

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This is what I did. Get another body bolt and a pair of small angle brakets from Ace Hardware. The second hole is alread there. I used switch #4 at 15 amps. Wanted to save the 40's for something else.
20190309_182757.jpg
Wait a second, what does that mean get another body bolt? What is that ground to that bolt from and for?

Thank you for your help.

Dingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon ordered 10/28/18, built 12/19/18, delivered 1/14/19
This is what I did. Get another body bolt and a pair of small angle brakets from Ace Hardware. The second hole is alread there. I used switch #4 at 15 amps. Wanted to save the 40's for something else.
20190309_182757.jpg
This is almost exactly my setup - same mounting location, same solenoid (Warn Interrupter kit). Only difference is that I used a single aluminum right angle, spray painted black (I have Crystal Metallic paint), so it sorta matches.

I think I had to mount mine upside down from yours to add clearance for the grounding hardware below. The schematic it came with wasn't as detailed as I would have liked, so before hooking to power, I triple-checked and had a buddy triple check again. Hooked mine up to the Aux-4 and configured it to not retain memory and to only be active when the ignition is on.

To answer @Brew211 's question - the left bolt is already there, so was able to repurpose that. The bolt to the right had to be sourced to match the threads that are already existing. I believe it's a similar threaded hole that you can see in the far right of the pic.

RonAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Yes the second hole is the same thread as the original red bolt. Ace has them in the gray pull out bins. The small black wire is the negative wire for the solenoid. It is fairly low current and that bolt has a good connection to ground. The battery has too many black wires already and right next to it are two negative grounds studs that do the same thing. Everything you buy says connect to battery, but their is a limit.
I did copy this install from someone on here, just don't remember who.

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
Warn actually makes a power interrupt kit for this very purpose. I wouldn’t directly tie the power from the aux switch to the winch. You need to use something like what Warn sells.

https://www.warn.com/power-interrupt-kit-62132

I have it just haven’t had time to install it. Not sure if I want to either. Got it for a friend thinking it would be safer to not have the winch always connected to direct power, but I’ve ran it like this for 3 months now no issues.
The best reason I have heard for not leaving your winch hardwired directly to your battery is that lots of trouble makers know that using a coin or paperclip to touch two pins on the port on your winch where the remote plugs in easily allows someone to spool out the winch even with the Jeep locked and turned off.

Once they have spooled it out they can do all sorts of tricks like attaching it to a light pole and dragging your parked Jeep out of its parking space or wrapping it all the way around the Jeep a full turn back to a tow point and pulling it in and crushing all your tail lights, locking you out of the vehicle, and denting the body panels.

Really cheap and easy solution to this is to wire this switch in line with one of the battery leads. It has a removable "key" you can just leave in the glove box when not off-road.

Switch:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MYQXNJ2/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_e5WHCbS3V7612
Extra bit of cable to attach it to the battery:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SFXVMYW/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_G4WHCb39VMBWP

Hope that helps.

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
To the question of why would anybody do this mod, ever have a runaway winch? I have, thank god I had a lot of winch line payed out. The only way to stop it was disconnecting the battery. First I had to dig out a wrench then pop the hood, all the while navigating the rugged rocks. I disconnected the first battery connection I could get to, the negative one, and it kept running. So I quickly removed the positive. Upon inspection, one of the controller wires inside the winch had shorted to ground causing it to run. Also, any shmuck with a clue how these things work can short the terminals in the controller jack. That would be a bad day.

I got a 500A continuous capable isolation relay and I'm going to use one of my aux switches to turn it on when needed. It only draws 1A when activated so I'm probably going to use aux 4 for my winch ON/OFF.
Runaway winch is definitely one issue, and I talk about another issue here: #39

Sponsored

RonAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Ether the solenoid or the cut off switch can be jumped. I think that one of the hood locks might also be good at slowing down the bad guys. Make it more difficult and they might pick on somwone else.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
I agree with adding the winch power interrupt. I do not want direct battery power running to the front of my vehicle. If the X2Os wireless switch is left on, it could conceivably drain the battery. I added a Warn Power Interrupt kit connected to aux 3 with some flashing yellow lights as a bonus. I will always know when my winch power is on.

IMG_20190414_104340 - Copy.jpg

The4x4Guys

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL) Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Completely agree on the Interrupt which I installed too. However a week ago, I unspooled my line to rewind it more tightly and evenly and manged to leave the Aux switch for the winch powered on overnight. Guess what? Dead battery in the morning. I had to disconnect the battery terminal to charge the battery enough to get the Jeep started as you cannot jump or charge the battery with the Interrupt connected.....UGH dumb mistake.

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with adding the winch power interrupt. I do not want direct battery power running to the front of my vehicle. If the X2Os wireless switch is left on, it could conceivably drain the battery. I added a Warn Power Interrupt kit connected to aux 3 with some flashing yellow lights as a bonus. I will always know when my winch power is on.

IMG_20190414_104340 - Copy.jpg

Flashing yellow lights???? please share!

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Completely agree on the Interrupt which I installed too. However a week ago, I unspooled my line to rewind it more tightly and evenly and manged to leave the Aux switch for the winch powered on overnight. Guess what? Dead battery in the morning. I had to disconnect the battery terminal to charge the battery enough to get the Jeep started as you cannot jump or charge the battery with the Interrupt connected.....UGH dumb mistake.
Why not change aux 3 to only be on when the vehicle is on instead of on all the time?
Sponsored