Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That’s how I understand it.

You’d connect the battery power to the interrupt unit and then to the winch. Then the aux switch power would be connected to one of the small terminals on the interrupt unit while the other small terminal is connected to the negative terminal of the battery. I don’t think it matters which terminal either as they are not labeled.

Link to instructions just in case.
https://www.gowarn.com/aux_incl/pdf.ashx?pdf=WAR_62132_INS_1.pdf&line=WAR
Does this look correct to you? Between your instructions and what I read from WARN, this looks correct. But as in the old carpenters saying "measure twice, cut once" I wanted to check with you since you too have the Warn Power Interrupt kit.

IMG_0402.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I went out to install five minutes ago and hunted under the hood for a place to drill the holes to mount the solenoid and ended up closing everything back up. I can't find a spot to install.........

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Unlike the JK there’s not much room in the JL engine bay. I’ll check this week and see myself.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
To the question of why would anybody do this mod, ever have a runaway winch? I have, thank god I had a lot of winch line payed out. The only way to stop it was disconnecting the battery. First I had to dig out a wrench then pop the hood, all the while navigating the rugged rocks. I disconnected the first battery connection I could get to, the negative one, and it kept running. So I quickly removed the positive. Upon inspection, one of the controller wires inside the winch had shorted to ground causing it to run. Also, any shmuck with a clue how these things work can short the terminals in the controller jack. That would be a bad day.

I got a 500A continuous capable isolation relay and I'm going to use one of my aux switches to turn it on when needed. It only draws 1A when activated so I'm probably going to use aux 4 for my winch ON/OFF.

Sponsored

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
You're worried about something that is a non-issue. No one is going to use the power on your winch. The odds of your hood being stolen are FAR greater, followed by your winch being stolen. Don't bother power interrupting your winch.

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, but already bought the interrupt kit and plan to install. Wanted a switch (Aux already built in) to power it off and was just looking for input on location to mount solenoid.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
You're worried about something that is a non-issue. No one is going to use the power on your winch. The odds of your hood being stolen are FAR greater, followed by your winch being stolen. Don't bother power interrupting your winch.
I'll assume you haven't experienced a runaway winch then.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
This is actually something I've considered doing. I've been lucky to never experience a runaway winch, no desire to start. @BobK keep us posted on how it goes and the results.

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've decided to make the install even more complicated after emailing with WARN support. I also purchased the Booster cable kit that comes with a 4 foot cable to attach directly to the battery and a Quick Disconnect plug at the other end. I then purchase a set of male/female Quick Disconnect ends. I plan on wiring the 4 foot cable directly to the battery and then using the connector ends to attach to the wiring setup for the winch and power interrupt.

The winch will operate off the Aux switch in the Jeep via the Power Interrupt solenoid. If when I need a jump or need to jump someone else, I will use the quick disconnect to disconnect the winch and plug in the WARN booster cables.

One of the advantages of this arrangement is that I now can find a placement of the solenoid anywhere within four foot of the battery instead of the one foot of the red (+) cable from the solenoid. I hope to find a location on the drivers side that is more conducive to drilling and mounting the solenoid.

IMG_0404.jpg

Sponsored

WestKY

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4, Jl 2Dr Sport Granite Cyrstal Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Could you help me understand the perceived value-add of introducing the AUX switch to the winch connection? Given the high draw of a winch and the available remote options with it still directly wired to the battery what is having AUX switch wiring going to provide? Not criticizing just legitimately not understanding as I'm new to off-roading.
Using aux switch and power interrupt solenoid just a added safety. Damage your front end in accident and grounds the winch power cable,try getting that direct wired cable off the battery while it's melting away.Separating it with a solenoid solves that problem.
To the question of why would anybody do this mod, ever have a runaway winch? I have, thank god I had a lot of winch line payed out. The only way to stop it was disconnecting the battery. First I had to dig out a wrench then pop the hood, all the while navigating the rugged rocks. I disconnected the first battery connection I could get to, the negative one, and it kept running. So I quickly removed the positive. Upon inspection, one of the controller wires inside the winch had shorted to ground causing it to run. Also, any shmuck with a clue how these things work can short the terminals in the controller jack. That would be a bad day.

I got a 500A continuous capable isolation relay and I'm going to use one of my aux switches to turn it on when needed. It only draws 1A when activated so I'm probably going to use aux 4 for my winch ON/OFF.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
If your winch is in a steel bumper/carrier, and you get into a car accident that is so bad, that you damage the winch wiring, you have MUCH MUCH bigger issues to worry about.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Here is how I set mine up.

20180918_161355.jpg
impressive. Did you link a list of parts, did I miss that? If so, sorry. If not, could you list them and where you got them. Thinking about doing this with my aux switches.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I haven't but I will when I get some time.
Sponsored