Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Today my son and I installed a WARN Zeon 10-s winch. We ran the wiring harness up into the engine compartment and zip tied the two cables near the battery.

Sometime this week I plan to take on the task of fully connecting it and using one of the AUX switches that were an option I purchased with the JLUR. I have not yet rear the Jeep manual on configuring the switch using the touch panel display, I also know that there is some wiring location under the hood that corresponds to the AUX switches.

Without telling me to RTFM, does anyone have any words of wisdom on this task. Past experience? Any gotchas?

Also, I purchased the WARN Power Interrupt Kit. Does anyone know anything about this? How does this work with the AUX switch setup?
Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Could you help me understand the perceived value-add of introducing the AUX switch to the winch connection? Given the high draw of a winch and the available remote options with it still directly wired to the battery what is having AUX switch wiring going to provide? Not criticizing just legitimately not understanding as I'm new to off-roading.

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Well that makes two of us. My plan, given the 40 amp rating of two of the AUX switches, was to control the power to the winch (on or off) so that it can't be used without being able to get into the vehicle. Not that I think random strangers walk around with a wired WARN remote to play with winches, but the switches are there, so why not.

I'm actually open to having my mind changed. I want to hear from other WARN Zeon users.

travelboysteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Fusion, ProMaster Van, FR3 MH
Well that makes two of us. My plan, given the 40 amp rating of two of the AUX switches, was to control the power to the winch (on or off) so that it can't be used without being able to get into the vehicle. Not that I think random strangers walk around with a wired WARN remote to play with winches, but the switches are there, so why not.

I'm actually open to having my mind changed. I want to hear from other WARN Zeon users.

Having an override is fairly simple.
Use one of the switches to control a relay between the battery and the power lead to your winch.
The aux switch would energize / de-energize the relay coil.
One side of the coil to ground, the other from the aux switch.
Cut your batt lead and wire to common / N.O. (the contact that closes when energized) on the relay,.....wahlah - switch over ride.
Also make sure the contacts are rated for the winch current, if your winch draws 50 - 60 amps for example, don't use a 30 amp contact.

Just remember to turn it on when you get stuck,... ;)

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Warn actually makes a power interrupt kit for this very purpose. I wouldn’t directly tie the power from the aux switch to the winch. You need to use something like what Warn sells.

https://www.warn.com/power-interrupt-kit-62132

I have it just haven’t had time to install it. Not sure if I want to either. Got it for a friend thinking it would be safer to not have the winch always connected to direct power, but I’ve ran it like this for 3 months now no issues.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I actually bought this kit and have it in front of me. I am torn about how to install the wiring.

1) Direct to the battery
2) Via the AUX switch in the Jeep
3) Via the Power Interrupt kit.

The directions on the Interrupt kit threw me, when they mention not being able to get the Jeep jump started in the case of a dead battery. Given that my five week old Jeep just had to have the defective battery replaced on Saturday, I'm a bit gun shy.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Well, I planned to toss the included switch, use one of my aux switch wires that are only powered when the Jeep is on, and then wire in the interrupt kit. As far as not being able to jump start a Jeep, you could always just unbolt the power line from the battery before attempting to jump start.

Case in point you should always keep a robust tool kit in your Jeep at all times just in case.

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I absolutely planned on dumping the WARN supplied switch. From what I've read the AUX switches are either 40 amps or 15 amps. I assume you'd use the 40 amp switch and configure it to be on/off (not momentary) and powered only when Jeep is on . (I actually have a Tazer JL configured to take the Jeep to 2000 RPM's in Winch Mode). The switch would power the interrupt unit, and it powers the Jeep. Is that correct?

I'm going to want to draw out the wiring chart before I start cutting and crimping......

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
That’s how I understand it.

You’d connect the battery power to the interrupt unit and then to the winch. Then the aux switch power would be connected to one of the small terminals on the interrupt unit while the other small terminal is connected to the negative terminal of the battery. I don’t think it matters which terminal either as they are not labeled.

Link to instructions just in case.
https://www.gowarn.com/aux_incl/pdf.ashx?pdf=WAR_62132_INS_1.pdf&line=WAR

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Excellent, thank you. I will likely give this a go later this week. I'm a bit swamped with wiring to do. I also installed new front and rear bumpers with LED lights. Now I have to decide if I want them to work with the fog light switch and the reverse lights or if I want to wire them up to the other AUX switches. What are your thoughts?

Sponsored

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
I’d wire them to the aux switches. For the front if you wire them to the fog lights you’ll never be able to use the fog lights independent of the leds and depending on how bright they are youll blind oncoming drivers if you do use them on the road.

For the rear it’s a toss up. If you added them just to help light up the rear so it’s easier to see when reversing then connect them the reverse lights. This will save you an aux switch.

In my JKU I built a custom relay box that was powered by my fog light switch. The relay box had 4 relays powering multiple leds. The cool thing was I could shut down all the leds just by turning off my fog lights. I was pretty proud of that setup. The JL aux switches are a nice touch, but not as customizable as my box.

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I fear that you are correct on the front LED's. I'm just trying to figure out what to do with the dangling LED wiring socket. I'd like to make sure use of that built in wiring. What fogs could I wire in there and attach to the bumper?

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Depends on which bumper. Does it have OEM type openings? Then you could use either OEM fogs or aftermarket fogs.

You could also wire in a rock lighting kit possibly. But you have two OEM sockets and that would only take up one.

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
No the bumper is from JCR Offroad and has square holes for the LED's I put in. I just have the LED wiring harness plug near the passenger side front wheel well. Since its wired to the built in fog switch, I just thought I'l like to make use of it.

I'll have to admit to not being familiar with a rock lighting kit.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Oh yeah, there’s only one connection for the fog lights. In that case I’d wire that to the leds you have. I thought you had separate fog lights in the bumper in conjunction with the LEDs.

Rock lighting kit mounts in your wheel wells and under carriage to light up the trail if needed when your off roading so you can see obstacles and such.
Sponsored