Aux Switch Bin Repurposed: Locker / Accessory Switch Bank_updated

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara, 2019 JL Wrangler Sahara
I'm having Rubicon axles installed and I did not want the standard locker switch bank installed and then placed under computer control. I cast a plastic resin panel into the existing bin giving me unlimited configuration flexibility.

The plastic resin is very easy to use and I used step drills and files to place the opening. Below find the websites I obtained my spare (sacrificial) bin and the Smooth-Cast Onyx fast resin. You'll get enough resin to experiment and to cast several bins

UPDATE: I prep'd and cast the second bin in about a half an hour which must better results. I used painter's tape on the face and the resin did not adhere to it. It's now a textured surface with a seamless interface to the bin edges. Very satisfied with the results of the second pouring.
Jeep Wrangler JL Aux Switch Bin Repurposed: Locker / Accessory Switch Bank_updated IMG_4498
Jeep Wrangler JL Aux Switch Bin Repurposed: Locker / Accessory Switch Bank_updated IMG_4518

https://www.getoemparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-bin-instrument-panel-6cb87tx7aa

ttps://www.smooth-on.com/products/smooth-cast-onyx-fast/

Jeep Wrangler JL Aux Switch Bin Repurposed: Locker / Accessory Switch Bank_updated IMG_4520

Jeep Wrangler JL Aux Switch Bin Repurposed: Locker / Accessory Switch Bank_updated IMG_4521

IMG_4523.jpg

IMG_4524.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Nice work.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I'm having Rubicon axles installed and I did not want the standard locker switch bank installed and then placed under computer control. I cast a plastic resin panel into the existing bin giving me unlimited configuration flexibility.

The plastic resin is very easy to use and I used step drills and files to place the opening. Below find the websites I obtained my spare (sacrificial) bin and the Smooth-Cast Onyx fast resin. You'll get enough resin to experiment and to cast several bins

UPDATE: I prep'd and cast the second bin in about a half an hour which must better results. I used painter's tape on the face and the resin did not adhere to it. It's now a textured surface with a seamless interface to the bin edges. Very satisfied with the results of the second pouring.
IMG_4498.jpg
IMG_4518.jpg

https://www.getoemparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-bin-instrument-panel-6cb87tx7aa

ttps://www.smooth-on.com/products/smooth-cast-onyx-fast/

IMG_4520.jpg

IMG_4521.jpg

IMG_4523.jpg

IMG_4524.jpg
Nice work! Will you post a pic of it installed?

OP
OP

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice work! Will you post a pic of it installed?
I just finished wiring up and installing the panel a few minutes ago. I turned out well. I've got some different label material on order. I prefer a flat finish over the glossy.

IMG_4528.jpg

IMG_4529.jpg

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I just finished wiring up and installing the panel a few minutes ago. I turned out well. I've got some different label material on order. I prefer a flat finish over the glossy.

Jeep Wrangler JL Aux Switch Bin Repurposed: Locker / Accessory Switch Bank_updated IMG_4529

Jeep Wrangler JL Aux Switch Bin Repurposed: Locker / Accessory Switch Bank_updated IMG_4529
Wish there was a way to get the aux switch buttons with same engraved lettering font as the OEM look to say "front locker" and "rear locker". Not crazy about the sticker labels or the texture being different than OEM. I actually had pixel decal make some prototype matte locker switch decals to go over Aux 3 & Aux 4. Stickers looked out of place...took them off. Pixel decal agreed and decided not to offer them.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wish there was a way to get the aux switch buttons with same engraved lettering font as the OEM look to say "front locker" and "rear locker". Not crazy about the sticker labels or the texture being different than OEM. I actually had pixel decal make some prototype matte locker switch decals to go over Aux 3 & Aux 4. Stickers looked out of place...took them off. Pixel decal agreed and decided not to offer them.
The font on the the Aux switches looks like "Arial". Thermal transfer or water transfer labeling might work for you. You'd have to black out the existing markings in order to do the transfer labeling and perhaps a satin lacquer over spray to make the texture look uniform. The Aux switch bank comes out pretty easy to give you all the room you need.

This might work well but you would need an over spray for durability.
https://www.amazon.com/Transfer-Sheets-Inkjet-Transparent-Printer/dp/B0743K9JP1

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
The font on the the Aux switches looks like "Arial". Thermal transfer or water transfer labeling might work for you. You'd have to black out the existing markings in order to do the transfer labeling and perhaps a satin lacquer over spray to make the texture look uniform. The Aux switch bank comes out pretty easy to give you all the room you need.

This might work well but you would need an over spray for durability.
https://www.amazon.com/Transfer-Sheets-Inkjet-Transparent-Printer/dp/B0743K9JP1
The font wasnt the issue...OEM aux switch lettering lights up at night and with the decals, it covered it and you could tell its a decal. Doesn't look as clean like the OEM switches

Last edited:
OP
OP

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The font wasnt the issue...OEM aux switch lettering lights up at night and with the decals, it covered it and you could tell its a decal...kinda like your decals look in your pic. Doesn't look as clean like the OEM switches
ok, understood.

MILT

First Name
Milt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Honda technician
Tag as I’m interested in a solution

Sponsored

PsychoTrucker81

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Good write up!! What wiper heater kit did you install?
Sponsored