OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Great info...got both batteries replaced last night. For me the e-torx socket was necessary.

I tried to cheat by using a vise-grip...got 1 out that way but nearly ruined the second one. Needed a quick ride to the auto parts store to buy an e-torx set to get the second stud out.

Also...I thought 6 fender clips would do it.... but I managed to break 7 of them.

@SteveFinn

Good you got-er done... at a boy....

If you have not already done so, do hook up a battery tender / maintainer to those batteries and let them fully charge..

For the next few days, do not be alarmed if you see some ESS related messages display, etc...
Your IBS Sensor was reset.... read here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/ibs-clear-reset.67955/
Sponsored

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
If anyone is looking for .... A 1/4-Inch Drive Star Socket, Female Torx to use in regard to you Aux battery change, here is the least expensive set that I have seen for a set of Star Sockets ....Only $5.99.

https://www.amazon.com/EOHM-5Pcs-Female-Socket-Drive/dp/B07251MMXF/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=1/4-Inch+Drive+Star+Socket+Female+Torx+Socket,+e6&qid=1638975340&sr=8-9

ttt.jpg
It’s always nice to have the “correct” tool for the job, but when I changed my batteries a few weeks back I just used a 1/4” drive 6 point socket to R&R the studs. A 3/16” IIRC.

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
It’s always nice to have the “correct” tool for the job, but when I changed my batteries a few weeks back I just used a 1/4” drive 6 point socket to R&R the studs. A 3/16” IIRC.
@jaymz

You can also take two nuts of the approp. size and tight them against each other on the stud .... and them use a wrench on them to get the stud in or out... 8-) Ya got to do what you got to do...

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I wish I knew this when I installed the mopar trailer wiring harness. The one that runs behind the rear inner liner and across the frame.

MDG

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Just used (yesterday) this method to change my two batteries. It was only 34 degrees out and when I pulled half the fender clips broke, the one push fastener head popped off and the red tab on the wiring harness snapped off when I was squeezing it to pull the plug apart! So it was a frustrating day to say the least. On top of that both batteries in my key fobs went dead! Now that I'm writing this it sounds comical! So ordered clips, push fasteners and new fob batteries.

I've had great luck with NAPA batteries as they are made by Deka. Bough during their black Friday 20% off bag sale, saved me $100 on the two plus one for my generator. I upgraded the main battery from the 650CCA standard to the 800CCA version that came with the towing package. The main batter is now a Napa Legend 9894R while the small on is just listed as Aux134 The cover that came on the stock batter didn't fit the new one plus there was a little plastic piece on the bottom of the battery tray that had to be removed to fit the bigger battery. That plastic piece was there to hold the smaller battery in place front to back.

So don't assume the clips will survive especially if your doing this when its cold out.

Sponsored

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
On the diesels it looks a lot easier to replace the Aux battery. If you remove the main battery there is a little cover and boom, Aux battery access.

I removed my fender looking for access to the firewall passthru and it is covered by the battery tray. Further exploration on looking to remove the tray lead me to seeing how much easier the Aux battery is on diesels (everything else is much harder, except spark plug changes-that’s also a lot easier :facepalm:).

Main battery removed looking into the battery tray. On top of the fuse box is the cover and you can see the bottom side has a protrusion that holds the battery down.
Jeep Wrangler JL Aux Battery replacement the easy way... pull the fender flare 3AA1A1EA-74D3-461F-B9B5-C7BE13623217

Jeep Wrangler JL Aux Battery replacement the easy way... pull the fender flare B89B0B07-CA29-4871-874F-6078729D307B

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Question for those who have replaced their batteries: I've had the message pop up about 3 or 4 times now that says "Aux switches not available until battery fully charged" or something like that. I've usually had something to chalk it up to, like I had washed the Jeep and was frequently opening/closing the doors leading to all the lights being on longer than usual. Last night I left a pair of aux lights on and when I started the Jeep I got that message for about 3 seconds, then the aux lights came on. Jeep is a 2018 2.0 etorque with 25k miles. Is it time to go ahead and replace the batteries?

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
Question for those who have replaced their batteries: I've had the message pop up about 3 or 4 times now that says "Aux switches not available until battery fully charged" or something like that. I've usually had something to chalk it up to, like I had washed the Jeep and was frequently opening/closing the doors leading to all the lights being on longer than usual. Last night I left a pair of aux lights on and when I started the Jeep I got that message for about 3 seconds, the the aux lights came on. Jeep is a 2018 2.0 etorque with 25k miles. Should I go ahead and replace the batteries?
You're probably hitting the end-of-life for at least one of your crappy OEM batteries. They are covered under 3yr/36k mi warranty if that still applies to you.

I will say I had that message for a couple of months, but the real sign I got was my remote start didn't work for a day. Next day, no start, had to use portable jump pack to get it to dealer.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
You're probably hitting the end-of-life for at least one of your crappy OEM batteries. They are covered under 3yr/36k mi warranty if that still applies to you.

I will say I had that message for a couple of months, but the real sign I got was my remote start didn't work for a day. Next day, no start, had to use portable jump pack to get it to dealer.
Thanks. Yea I am still under the warranty, but they will probably have to have the Jeep in the shop for a week just to change the batteries and I don't have a second vehicle to use.

How frequently were you getting that message before it finally died?

Last edited:

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
Thanks. Yea I am still under the warranty, but they will probably have to have the Jeep in the shop for a week just to change the batteries and I don't have a second vehicle to use.

How often did you get that message?
Yep. I made an appointment 2 weeks out, battery died the day before appointment. It took a few hours, but without appointment, I would have been in trouble myself. Odds are, your dealer sucks and will not give you a rental/loaner. I didn't want to deal with the dealership just for batteries, but I also wanted the cost to come out of Jeep's pocket, not mine.

I got the "start stop not available" message every time I drove for a good 2 months. The reason changed sometimes, but the message was always there. I've read here that some folks don't get such an advanced warning.

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Question for those who have replaced their batteries: I've had the message pop up about 3 or 4 times now that says "Aux switches not available until battery fully charged" or something like that. I've usually had something to chalk it up to, like I had washed the Jeep and was frequently opening/closing the doors leading to all the lights being on longer than usual. Last night I left a pair of aux lights on and when I started the Jeep I got that message for about 3 seconds, then the aux lights came on. Jeep is a 2018 2.0 etorque with 25k miles. Is it time to go ahead and replace the batteries?
2018 2.0 e-torque doesn’t have the small aux battery. Your main battery is on its way out. Three years is about average for these things to last.
Gregj

Reactions: DHW

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
2018 2.0 e-torque doesn’t have the small aux battery. Your main battery is on its way out. Three years is about average for these things to last.
Gregj
Ah, didn't realize he doesn't have the aux. Well that makes DIY easier and cheaper, especially if the dealer is too much of a hassle.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Ah, didn't realize he doesn't have the aux. Well that makes DIY easier and cheaper, especially if the dealer is too much of a hassle.
So the 2018 2.0 etorque only has 1 battery total? I thought there was a second one in there somewhere.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
So the 2018 2.0 etorque only has 1 battery total? I thought there was a second one in there somewhere.
There is a 48 volt lithium battery under the Jeep, that one is not your problem, it should be covered under the emission warranty too. The 48 Volt battery has nothing to do with the initial start up. The controller attached to it is also the charger for the 12 volt battery.
Gregj
Sponsored