Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Lol, apparently not for you then…
Oil 3.6L engine:
One bolt to drain, unscrew cap and put new cartridge filter in, dump 5qt jug of oil in fill. Time = 15 mins including clean up.

Remove fender:
Remove 3 bolts from liner area, wriggle liner free, disconnect side marker lights, pull fender off, 80% chance of breaking a few clips, order clips on ebay, wait one week for clips to arrive, install new clips, reconnect light harness, reinstall fender and liner, reinstall 3 bolts. Time = 1 week, 30 mins.

In all seriousness I find it WAY easier to simply pull the main battery, remove the fuse block and pull the aux battery that way. I've done it 3 times now and I can do it in 20 mins.

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Excellent price at the first link as shipping is free. I have 10 left or I would be jumping on those.
I got 10 at the second link for under $15 with shipping. I used a 10% off code from RetailMeNot.com

Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I’ve read through this and if I’m understanding correctly my engine start stop display says “not ready battery charging” or similar words. This means my ESS battery is bad and needs to be replaced. So is this a warranty replacement? I have a 2019 with 15,000 miles bought in August of 2019.
The battery charging warning is for the main battery. The battery sensor monitors the main battery and reports on it's state of charge. There is no monitoring of the aux battery, just a quick pass/fail test before every cold start.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Aux Battery replacement the easy way... pull the fender flare

Will this work on a 3.0 L diesel since the battery is in a different location? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aux Battery replacement the easy way... pull the fender flare

Will this work on a 3.0 L diesel since the battery is in a different location? Inquiring minds want to know. :)
I have not replaced the Aux battery on a 3.0 L diesel, JL/JT, yet.... but from my research, there would be no difference with the 3.0 L diesel. So, fender flare pull or to peel back thr fender liner would be the most prudent way to access the Aux battery.

Barely Krawlified

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I really want to thank the OP — Rhinebeck01– as well as all the others who have posted on this thread. I successfully completed this task today by replacing both the main and the auxiliary battery. The information posted here proved invaluable.

I ended up going with a Group 94/H7 Diehard AGM Platinum for the main battery and a AUX-14 Diehard AGM Platinum for the little auxiliary battery. I initially attempted going through the PDC for the auxiliary battery but when the modular clips wouldn’t release from the PDC housing I carefully put the PDC back together and regrouped. I then proceeded via the fender removal route posted by the OP. I broke 4 of the fender attachment clips but had 12 on hand just in case.

As a side note I called two local dealerships about my “stop/start and auxiliary switch not available warnings”. They said it would be two weeks before I could even bring it in. I opted for the DIY route instead and am glad I did.

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No special tool is needed to remove/get the 2 studs, out of the stock Aux battery.... while I have a star socket set... a star socket to use, it is not at all necessary...

YES, do remove the 2 studs on the stock battery.... You WILL be able to use them with you new , OEM or non OEM Aux battery..

Read here... in a post earlier in this thread for some hints:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-way-pull-the-fender-flare.56807/post-1665182

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really want to thank the OP — Rhinebeck01– as well as all the others who have posted on this thread. I successfully completed this task today by replacing both the main and the auxiliary battery. The information posted here proved invaluable.

I ended up going with a Group 94/H7 Diehard AGM Platinum for the main battery and a AUX-14 Diehard AGM Platinum for the little auxiliary battery. I initially attempted going through the PDC for the auxiliary battery but when the modular clips wouldn’t release from the PDC housing I carefully put the PDC back together and regrouped. I then proceeded via the fender removal route posted by the OP. I broke 4 of the fender attachment clips but had 12 on hand just in case.

As a side note I called two local dealerships about my “stop/start and auxiliary switch not available warnings”. They said it would be two weeks before I could even bring it in. I opted for the DIY route instead and am glad I did.
@Barely Krawlified

Good you got-er done..... and that you woke up and smelled the coffee so to speak in regard to not fooling with the PDC that you can easily easily damage, etc..

So you did the deed for about $325.00+-, rather then pay the dealer the $750 they wanted... and you got the satisfaction of doing it yourself.... Good for you!

YUP, you can get into deep chitt accessing the Aux battery by dismantling... attempting to dismantle the PDC.. Like those clips on the PDC..... guys do snap them off and then.... they also get dirt into things, bend things, damage connectors and more... Even guys that know what they are doing can fruck things up...

Anyway, foolish way to do the Aux battery change out is to do it by dismantling the PDC..

SteveFinn

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting-Gray Sport S, former TJ owner
Great info...got both batteries replaced last night. For me the e-torx socket was necessary.

I tried to cheat by using a vise-grip...got 1 out that way but nearly ruined the second one. Needed a quick ride to the auto parts store to buy an e-torx set to get the second stud out.

Also...I thought 6 fender clips would do it.... but I managed to break 7 of them.

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last edited: