Sponsored

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
How long has yours not been working?
Probably over a month. It started with my "aux switches not available" for the first minute or so after startup, then ESS stopped working completely.

I have made 2 appointments with the local dealership. First one was canceled by them, second one I left after waiting for 2 hours and my Jeep not moving. Third appointment is next week, and I'm dropping it off.

Worst case, I just buy and install new batteries myself. But it's under warranty, and I want the money to come out of Jeep's pocket, not mine.
Sponsored

JeepJLU402

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport S - V6 8AT - 30/44
Probably over a month. It started with my "aux switches not available" for the first minute or so after startup, then ESS stopped working completely.

I have made 2 appointments with the local dealership. First one was canceled by them, second one I left after waiting for 2 hours and my Jeep not moving. Third appointment is next week, and I'm dropping it off.

Worst case, I just buy and install new batteries myself. But it's under warranty, and I want the money to come out of Jeep's pocket, not mine.
I hear that! I want them to pay for it. I just have to get the correct tires put on my Jeep so my wife was going to drive the Jeep to Omaha for the tire place to correct their mistake tomorrow. I don’t want her to get stranded 45 miles away.

JeepJLU402

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would hooking a trickle charger up to the battery help keep the main battery charged so you don’t get stuck somewhere? Wondering if I could do that until I could take it to the dealer.

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp MT; 2019 GC; 2021 Lego JLR
Clubs

My ESS has not worked the last couple days. And on Saturday I was on the interstate for about 50 minutes. It was Sunday that I noticed it not working.

I just called the dealership and they said they could get me in on November 22nd unless I just leave the Jeep for a few days.
On the first try on mine, dealer replaced "voltage sensor". On 2 mile drive home, ESS worked. Next day, ESS didn't work (even after an hour driving). Second try took a while, but fixed it.

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
No... your battery does not need to be replaced.
When you get that message, the only way you are seeing it is by scrolling through the screens to the message center. That is simply telling you the battery is in a charge mode from the alternator which is normal. You will also see other messages there like "driver seat belt not fastened", or "steering wheel is turned", or "battery protection mode" because your engine compartment is hot from off roading all day. Those are simply reasons your ess is not engaging and it does not mean you have a problem with the battery.

When your battery starts to fail you will see actual warning lights on the dash likea yellow A in a circle arrow or something like that, I can't recall exactly what it is, but you will know for sure.
You know for sure when it goes "click" :) That's all ours did, no warning whatsoever like most cars when the battery gives up.

Sponsored

JeepJLU402

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You know for sure when it goes "click" :) That's all ours did, no warning whatsoever like most cars when the battery gives up.
That’s the worse when that happens.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I replaced my AUX battery last weekend. After all the work pulling the entire fender flare, next time I'll just remove the liner. I have the plastic rivet tool and the rivets, and I should have just done it that way to begin with. Removing the entire fender, and replacing 8-10 of those clips gets expensive. Plus it was a major PITA - I think pulling just the flare would have been a lot easier and less damage prone.

Anyway ESS is working fine so far, we'll see if it keeps working more than 3 weeks this time...

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I replaced my AUX battery last weekend. After all the work pulling the entire fender flare, next time I'll just remove the liner. I have the plastic rivet tool and the rivets, and I should have just done it that way to begin with. Removing the entire fender, and replacing 8-10 of those clips gets expensive. Plus it was a major PITA - I think pulling just the flare would have been a lot easier and less damage prone.

Anyway ESS is working fine so far, we'll see if it keeps working more than 3 weeks this time...
@Chupacabra

Curious... why did you think pulling the flare was "a major PIA" ?

Would you find it easier if you did it agan... since you now know what is involved?

I've done it many times on JL's and to me it is no big deal.....

I find the pulling the flare and changing out the Aux, faster/easier/cleaner then doing via peeling back the fender liner....

Also, ..... when you do rivet removal for fender liner peel you chance buggering up the region where the rivets are... where you visually see the flare/rivets.

Yes, you do end up breaking 3 or so, $.99 fender flare clips when you pull the flare.

Greyhound

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S

Gonna have to disagree with you on that. I recently replaced both batteries and pulled the fender flare to get to the aux battery. A few weeks afterwards, I installed the OEM Aux switches and had to pull back the fender flare to run the wires through the firewall. From that experience alone......I wish I would have installed the aux switches when I had the fender off. I just didn't have enough room to get to everything - and I can't imagine doing even a small battery in that amount of tight space, even with the inner liner peeled back like I did.

Sponsored

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Not to beat a dead horse any longer, (and I am too lazy/strapped for time to search the forum for this answer) but would a battery tender extend the life of the battery(batteries)?
Mine was replaced about 2 yrs ago under warranty. I have been using a battery tender. I usually use it when I notice the stop start stops working. Its working great right now, but it worries me when I see that these batteries only last 3 yrs or so.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Not to beat a dead horse any longer, (and I am too lazy/strapped for time to search the forum for this answer) but would a battery tender extend the life of the battery(batteries)?
Mine was replaced about 2 yrs ago under warranty. I have been using a battery tender. I usually use it when I notice the stop start stops working. Its working great right now, but it worries me when I see that these batteries only last 3 yrs or so.
I'm too lazy/strapped for time to respond.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase

Thegrants82

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL

Pulling the flares is easier than changing the oil……….

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase