Sponsored

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
@AllMoparParts.com member on here has these for like $.50 a piece. Might want to check with them. Part number is different then listed in this thread but believe they are same.

https://parts.allmoparparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-w-type-clip-68526185aa?c=bD0zJm49U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM=
Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 10.38.54 AM.png
went to order 10 from the link (thank you for the link). The shipping was 3 times the cost of the parts! Amazon has a different part number with the same specs for $8 with no shipping. I am going to chance the $8 loss.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
@Rhinebeck01, While turning it off is essentially my definition of disabling it, I have not disconnected it. I appreciate your comments/reply and want to understand the best way to eventually eliminate it so that I don't run into future problems. The last thing I want is to be stranded by a dead battery that I do not and will never use. I know there are other JL owners that feel the same way and are looking for a easy solution. Pulling a fender (flare) doesn't sound fun. I also understand that messing with the electronics has the possibility of making things worse.

I probably have not spent enough time researching this, but it is beginning to sound like peeling back the fender liner may be the best solution to get access to the ESS battery.

For those of us that will never use the ESS, what is the best solution to this issue? All I want is my JL not to leave me stranded and behave like the vehicles that I grew up with! You know the ones-one battery, that is readily accessible and replaceable!

Thanks for any advice-
what @Rihinebeck01 is saying is that you have NOT disabled the aux battery, you have just automated the button push. The battery still cycles, albeit maybe a little less frequently. There are a limited number of cycles in any battery, and that cycle count can be affected by extreme temperature swings, and mechanical agitation. If the aux battery is still active in the circuit, it is still being monitored by the vehicle control system.

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I predict this year we will see many many more 2018 JL/JLU owner's posting on the forums saying their 2 batteries are aged out..... their warranty is over and they need to replace both their batteries themselves... Again, this is the year for the 2018''s.

Many forum member's are going go wish they had TSB 18-092-19 completed (Power Control Update) applied to their JL/JLU and that they had purchased and have on hand, 4 or 5 JL fender flare clips.. The JL fender flare clips can be hard to acquire/to find...

For those that can't get the JL fender flare clips so you can pull the flare to easily change out the Aux battery, the next best way is to peel back the passenger side fender liner which requires plastic rivet removal..

You can buy an el-cheapo rivet gun and rivets at Harbor Freight to do the rivet replacement with.
Dealership service departments do the Aux change via fender liner peel back, as FCA tells them to do it that way and also FCA will not reimburse the dealer for the pricier JL fender flare clips that can get broken in the process.

Yes, you can dismantle the Power Distribution Center (PDC) to get to the Aux battery that resides underneath it but... but do know that it is not hard at all to damage things when pulling and reassembling the PDC. Any damage you do will cost you lots. Best bet is to not to pull the PDC... doing so would be foolish.

I've changed out the Aux battery for over a half dozen guys so far. Not hard to do. I'd say most any guy or gal could do so. Just be sure to have 4 or 5 fender clips on hand as more often then not, you will break a 2 or 3 clips, especially if you are a first timer at pulling the flare.

OH... I have been meaning to do so but have not... When you drop the box that holds the Aux battery, Please measure exactly, the inner measurements of that plastic box and post in this thread. I will remember to this the next time I do an Aux replacement. Hopefully, somone can do so sooner.

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is another video where a guy is pulling his fender flare for the first time.... Watch it and you will see easy to do it is... Remove 5 bolts and one push pin and disconnect one elec. connector...

Sponsored

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
The white clips are now available and I have a handful on hand in case I knock off a fender wheeling. @AllMoparParts.com is a great place to get them. From what I have been told anytime taking off the fender you should have some on hand because they can break pretty easily if you don't pull perfectly straight.
68526185AA
All Mopar Parts - 68526185AA

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

brynamic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU
Yesterday morning I swapped out my aux battery by removing the fender flare. I anticipated this project to take at least 2 hours but I had it done in just over an hour. That included time to watch and rewatch YouTube videos of both the fender flare removal and lowering the aux battery. Is it a dumb spot to put a battery? Yes. But it is far less daunting than it looks.

In preparation, a couple weeks ago I placed an order from BAM Wholesale and added the fender clips to that order. If anyone is looking for another source to get these clips, check there. I don’t know what their shipping is for an order of just clips however. Whatever you do, just make sure to have some clips on hand before starting this task, I broke 3.

I also bought the AUX14 Super Start battery from O’Reilly. I mainly picked it because they were clear it was manufactured by EPM and I didn’t want to put a junk battery of unknown origin in, especially given the location in the Jeep. Napa also was clear about their battery being from EPM but less convenient for me.

The fender flare removed for me exactly as shown in the video in the first post of this thread. It doesn’t feel natural the way it pulls off but just go for it. Once that was off, I disconnected the negative off the main battery. I then removed the 3 bolts holding the enclosure for the aux battery and held it up with my left hand while removing the negative and positive wires from the battery.

When I set the enclosure down and removed the Mopar aux battery, I had a small oh crap moment as I had water in the bottom of the aux enclosure box. It wasn’t a lot, but I wasn’t expecting to find that. The Mopar aux battery looked okay and I don’t think it came from the battery unless an AGM can leak from the vent. We’ve had a ton of rain lately and I drove through a torrential downpour on Friday. I’m not convinced that’s where it came from though. I looked all around the area of the aux battery and couldn’t find any other indications of water. I dried the enclosure out and proceeded installation of the new battery.

I put everything back together in reverse as I described above. I set the fender flare on, hooked up the wiring but didn’t snap it fully into place. I then powered on the Jeep and made sure I had no unexpected behavior or messages in the EVIC and tested the blinker/lights. Everything looked good so finally I snapped the fender into place and installed the bolts.

I’ve put just about 100 miles on and ESS is back to working exactly as advertised, for what that’s worth. Ha ha.

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread and @Rhinebeck01 for starting it! Without this information I would’ve paid the dealer $380 to replace a $110 battery for a feature I could leave on the table. At the end of the day I didn’t want a faulty battery in my Jeep though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@brynamic

Thanks for coming here and posting about pulling your flare and the change out of the Aux battery... You obviously used you head by researching first..... being wise in regard to best battery to go with.... and for not paying the stealership $300+ to do a very little /easy job..

You'll find many a post here on the forum of guys whining about the location of the Aux battery and yada yada about so difficult to change out the Aux..... funny these same guys have never changed out their Aux.. 8-) Same guys don't do their own oil changes or rotate their own tires or.... but yup they do yada yada here... Anyway, you actually did the deed so great you are posting about doing it. Your post will encourage and help others..

I expected you would break 2 or 3 flare clips... especially since you have a 2018 JL and the clips are probably a tad brittle, etc.. I have done 8 3/4 fender flare pulls so far (will explain the 3/4 in a minute) and even so, I broke 2 fender flare clips on the last 2 flare pulls that I did...

Oh, the Aux battery holder/cradle has drains. On all the Aux's I changed out all either had say an 1/8"+- of water in them or an obvious water line on the inner side of the cradle... Whether the water is from condensation, rain or what I do not know. Does not matter... The Aux battery is sealed so the water would not/ did not do damage.. When I do Aux changes I do check to see if the weep is clear before I bolt up that cradle.

IF, I am not talking to someone or showing someone how to do.... I, after 8 3/4 can do the Aux change in about 45 min.... I'm an ole fruck and a tad slow and deliberate.

About the 3/4 ..... Yesterday, a 26 year old local gal came to me for an Aux battery change on her 2018 2 dr. Rubi. She, a local gal, saw me posting on a FB JL related and asked for help.

Actually she came with her girlfriend/partner.

Deal was, she brought the Aux battery and JL fender flare clips and then $75 to me, along with a Sam's Club rotisserie chicken and some corn bread from Sam's... 8-)

So, the gal... and a pretty gal she was was watching me intently. I had removed the bolts and was going to pull the flare.

I told her don't fret when you hear a racket when I pull the flare... it's a tad noisy...

She said "Can I do it"... I said sure go for it.. well, she tried and could not get it started... was not quite strong enough.. Anyway, I got it started ... broke a clip and then the gal had at it and pulled the flare off ...... yes, she stopped a bit so I could disconnect the elec. connection.

She then watched as I changed out the Aux. She watched and asked questions and I'm sure her goal was to do this deed without me next time... but that's ok...

Anyway, an hour total and 3 clips and the deed was done... YES, my Sam's Club Chicken and Cornbread was very good and the $75 was even better..

Anyway, in closing don't be afraid to change your own Aux.

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
Nice story. I pull the left fender while installing an ARB twin compressor and looks like the way to go for replacing the aux battery too. Broke 2 or 3 clips but had plenty of extras.

brynamic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU
Oh, the Aux battery holder/cradle has drains. On all the Aux's I changed out all either had say an 1/8"+- of water in them or an obvious water line on the inner side of the cradle... Whether the water is from condensation, rain or what I do not know. Does not matter... The Aux battery is sealed so the water would not/ did not do damage.. When I do Aux changes I do check to see if the weep is clear before I bolt up that cradle.
That’s a relief! I was not expecting to find water in this location.

I like that you’re helping others in your community with their Jeep maintenance… especially for rotisserie chicken! Ha ha.

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
I just replaced both batteries yesterday... Didnt find this thread until today... Good to know though for next time i'll just do the fender drop. Its really not that hard from above either, but like someone mentioned, I really didnt like fooling around under that fuse box. Those pins under there look like they could easily be bent and cause you a nightmare, thats the part I was really uneasy about. Otherwise it really wasnt that hard (BTW I have a 2018 JL that I got in August of 2018, so its lasted me almost exactly 3 years).

I think i'm interested in getting rid of the factory aux battery in the future though in favor of a dual battery set up. It would just be so much nicer to have both batteries easily accessible and not have to worry about pulling the fender or digging around under the fuse box (i have removed my fender for my ARB compressor, its not hard, but its not fun laying on the ground and pulling stubborn broke clips either).

This thread is definitely helpful though. pulling the fender is definitely the better way to replace that battery.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase