Sponsored

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks. That’s what he did. Worked. So I don’t count on the booster. Didn’t work

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
I'll admit that electrical side of things isn't my strongest. I'll have to think more about this one.

Do you mean to say the if the AUX battery/capacitor falls too low before the engine can auto restart, the main battery will not be used to restart?
the main battery is always used to the restart. Your accessory loads (HVAC, radio, lights) run on the ESS battery during an ESS event. those could cut out. This would probably set a fault.

Chamoru

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Yes , you can get at the Aux battery, from above but..... A lot more to the exchange, going from up above though.. A lot more to screw up, too.

The Factory Service Manual has you fooling with the fender liner.... yuk...

Anyway, when I watched my tech friend changing out the Aux battery on a JL, he mentioned to me, that he would rather just pull the whole fender flare, versus fooling with the fender liner in order to get to the Aux battery... He told me it would be so much easier/faster..

Oh, prior to ever pulling a JL fender flare, you might just want to purchase a couple of fender flare clips, just in case you break one.

You can get them here for less than a dollar each. https://www.quadratec.com/p/omix/fender-flare-clip-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt-11609.41

So, I remembered seeing this video a year or so ago and geeez, my tech friend had the right idea, in regard to just easily pulling the flair to gain easy access to the Aux battery.

Here is the video... it is worth the time to watch it, in it's entirety.. ESPECIALLY, if someday you yourself might want to replace your Aux battery yourself.

Thank you for that. It's very helpful.

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
Thank you for that. It's very helpful.
The clips are on and have been on back order from Quadratec. I ordered them. month ago and they keep slipping the date farther out (seems to be normal for them on certain things).

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had planned to work on this project today but decided to wait and order extra clips first, just wanted to say thanks very much for this post + the link for replacement clips!
Mine have been on back order from Quadratec for 2 months with a promised ship date of 10/31 which just passed. Not been impressed with Quadratec for multiple reasons, next time I'll order elsewhere.

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
Mine have been on back order from Quadratec for 2 months with a promised ship date of 10/31 which just passed. Not been impressed with Quadratec for multiple reasons, next time I'll order elsewhere.
I did place an order from Quadratec (currently indicates in stock on election day but I know how they work), I also placed an order with @AllMoparParts.com too so hooefully they come through for me by next weekend.

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did place an order from Quadratec (currently indicates in stock on election day but I know how they work), I also placed an order with @AllMoparParts.com too so hooefully they come through for me by next weekend.
How they work is they give a date and it slips and slips and slips. Ask anyone who ordered the Mopar hood lock for the JL, I think that took well over a year and by that time Bolt released theirs (apparently they designed it anyway!). I'd prefer a realistic date, not promises....

Sponsored

TBULL52

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Thanks to the advice here I just easily changed my Aux battery by removing the fender. I ordered the fender clips from Quadratic and received them 2 days later. 8 of the 11 clips broke when I pulled the fender off. Plastic was brittle because its cold as f@!k here and I don't have a garage. My neighbor lent a helping hand and we were finished in just under an hour. We spent the most time hooking the terminals up to the new battery. I'm a big dude and there isn't a lot of room and the cables are short. Thanks to @Rhinebeck01 I knew to ask for an Aux14 battery at autozone and they easily found the battery. Their computer system did not show that my 2018 JLUR had a 2nd battery. The only other advice I would give is to not be afraid to pull the fender with some force (its a little nerve recking for a newbie like me). It takes a pretty good push to get the fender back on also. This has given me the confidence to pull the other fender and install the ARB on board air using the Grimm Offroad kit.

Last edited:

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered the fender clips from Quadratic and received them 2 days later.
For what it's worth I finally got my clips but it took forever! Keep a few on hand so you don't have to wait of they're out of stock again folks.

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Thanks to the advice here I just easily changed my Aux battery by removing the fender. I ordered the fender clips from Quadratic and received them 2 days later. 8 of the 11 clips broke when I pulled the fender off. Plastic was brittle because its cold as f@!k here and I don't have a garage. My neighbor lended a helping hand and we were finished in just under an hour. We spent the most time hooking the terminals up to the new battery. I'm a big dude and there isn't a lot of room and the cables are short. Thanks to @Rhinebeck01 I knew to ask for an Aux14 battery at autozone and they easily found the battery. Their computer system did not show that my 2018 JLUR had a 2nd battery. The only other advice I would give is to not be afraid to pull the fender with some force (its a little nerve recking for a newbie like me). It takes a pretty good push to get the fender back on also. This has given me the confidence to pull the other fender and install the ARB on board air using the Grimm Offroad kit.
@TBULL52

I'm glad this thread... and the info I provided, proved helpful to you...

Geeeez, 8 fender flare clips broke.... yes, has to be that they were brittle/not forgiving cause of the very low temps.

I know I broke one or two when I did the deed (twice) for other's. I managed to save breaking many clips, by going to their backside and squeezing the clip tails so they released a tad easier.. I also did the deed at warmer times, though once, I did it in the rain...

YES, you really got to yank super hard too... and push real hard to reinstall...

IMPORTANT.... Do not do the fender flare pull if you do not have say 10 fender flare clips on hand.. (The flare uses 11) They are $.99 each and less expensive then buying a rivet gun and rivets, were you to go the pull the fender liner route to get to the Aux.

As for the Aux... YES .... an AUX 14 is what you ask for.. see my earlier post..

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Well I can tell you it gets easier to replace the AUX battery from the top the second time you do it. I literally had the AUX battery in my hand in 10 mins the second time.
Sponsored