tindahbawks

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Hey all,
I have been having the strangest issue with wiring up my new KC HiLites chase light bar. I will try to post as much information as I can.

The chase bar has 8 wires coming off of it, power, ground, and 6 functions. I will put in parenthesis where I have hooked up that wire:
Red: 12V (+) Power (Direct to battery positive)
Black: (-) Ground (Direct to battery negative)
White: White Lights (Center both) 12V (+) (To switch)
Green: Amber Lights (both)12V (+) (No where/unused)
Blue: Right Red Brake (outer) 12V (+) (Pin 1 of LEFT brake light (NOTE: I mounted it upside-down so the KC logos would be upright))
Yellow: Left Red Brake (outer) 12V (+) (Not connected for now during troubleshooting)
Gray: Dim Red Tail (both outer) 12V (+) (Pin 4 of LEFT brake light (see above note))
Brown: Flashing Amber (both) 12V (+) (To switch)
Note: if Brown and Green wires are both connected to 12V (+) and powered on at the same time, Green function will override Brown

Here is where it gets weird. The white and amber flashers work fine, exactly as advertised. However, the break lights and the dim tail lights of the light bar only work if the engine is NOT RUNNING. If I step on the brake and watch the brake lights as I start the Jeep, all lights turn off as the engine cranks, and once the engine starts, they come back on for a second, then flicker out.

This issue is so strange, and the only thing I can think is that different power is being sent to the taillights when the engine is running.

Anyone know anything? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

NJJeep Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Yella JLU
Are you using a diode at all to control power flow in the brake light connection?

OP
OP

tindahbawks

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Are you using a diode at all to control power flow in the brake light connection?
I’m not sure entirely. From the car to the stock brake light I didn’t change anything. From the T-Tap off of the brake light wire to the light bar, the only thing in between is a deutch connector for quick disconnect. I figured the light bar would control the power that it draws. Maybe that’s the wrong assumption though.

When I test the connection with a multimeter from the brake light I get 12 Volts, which is what the light bar is asking for.

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
Hey @tindahbawks, I know nothing about chase lights and how they are wired in, but @shacdaddy also posted a question about install issues (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/xprite-36”-chase-light-problem.66168/).

I have hooked in rock lights directly to me reverse lights to give me extra backup lights, so know a little. Seeing both posts got me wondering to how you have them connected, and if the JLU lighting circuit can support it. I am making an assumption, which may be wrong, that you are tying into the rear lights.
What got me thinking is that for trailer connectors on the JLU you need a special box of tricks, like this: https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2019_Jeep_Wrangler+Unlimited.htm. Where as other vehicles , such as the JK, allowed you to tap straight into the rear lights, with no special box.

Is something similar needed to wire up a chase bar? Again, I’ve never wired one, so don’t know the inputs/connections are, just wondering.

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
Hey @tindahbawks, I know nothing about chase lights and how they are wired in, but @shacdaddy also posted a question about install issues (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/xprite-36”-chase-light-problem.66168/).

I have hooked in rock lights directly to me reverse lights to give me extra backup lights, so know a little. Seeing both posts got me wondering to how you have them connected, and if the JLU lighting circuit can support it. I am making an assumption, which may be wrong, that you are tying into the rear lights.
What got me thinking is that for trailer connectors on the JLU you need a special box of tricks, like this: https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2019_Jeep_Wrangler+Unlimited.htm. Where as other vehicles , such as the JK, allowed you to tap straight into the rear lights, with no special box.

Is something similar needed to wire up a chase bar? Again, I’ve never wired one, so don’t know the inputs/connections are, just wondering.
Hmm interesting! I may take a look at that. The flashing ambers on my chase light now work fine. The right turn signal works fine, but the left/reverse are currently effed.
Sponsored