Autostop Eliminator vs SmartStopStart -- not Tazer

Daniel-WA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR ordered
Those of you not using a Tazer, which do you prefer: the Autostop Eliminator or the SmartStopStart?

I want to disable auto-start and don't need all the features of the Tazer, nor do I want to bypass the gateway, so I'm comparing the Autostop Eliminator to the SmartStopStart. Installation and operation appear to be identical. When searching the forums, "Autostop Eliminator" appears more frequently from a larger number of users, whereas "SmartStopStart" appears in more posts, but most of those posts are originating from the same user who also frequently has bad things to say about the Autostop Eliminator. I am concerned by the frequency of posting by the same user about SmartStopStart.

Thank you so much for your advice!
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
SmartStopStart in the year 2016, was the very first to offer ESS override for Jeeps.

Other similar ESS override offerings are knockoffs of the original, first to market, SmartStopStart.

@SmartStopStart.com ha been a Forum Sponsor here since 2017. The owner of SmartStopStart (Steve) is a participating forum member.. he is an aok guy also...

Anyway, most JL and JT owner's that you talk to that have purchased an ESS override device went with a SmartStopStart unit.

I have been following JL related posts for 3 years+, on this forum, on other forums and on a few FB groups.

Yes, you do hear an occasional JL/JT owner say they installed an Autostop Eliminator, but more often then not, you read / hear they installed a SmartStopStart Unit.

Having closely followed posts as I mentioned, I have never heard/read one complaint about the SmartStopStart offering... The SmartStopStart works flawlessly...

Yes, I have read a small handful of complaints about the Autostop Eliminator... most of those complaints were complaints that the Autostop Eliminator hiccups occasionally... does not deal with ESS override, as flawlessly as the SmartStopStart unit does..

I will say that the install video that Autostop Eliminator has in regard to the install of the device on a JL or JT is very very good.. A top notch instructional video that I refer people to often..

Which to buy.... SmartStopStart or Autostop Eliminator.....

Well, the SmartStopStart is $29 less... so this unfortunately, may be the deciding factor for some...

Reasons why to go with the SmartStopStart offering if you wish to override ESS:
  1. Works flawlessly
  2. Many forum member's have a SmartStopStart and can field your questions, etc.
  3. Resale of the SmartStopStart... resells easily..you will recoop much of what you spent for it
  4. Footprint of the SmartStopStart unit is much smaller
  5. Install of the SmartStopStart unit is a tad less hassle as it's footprint is smaller
  6. Compare the SmartStopStart with the knockoff.... see the obvious quality differences
  7. SmartStop Start is a long time Forum Sponsor
  8. Owner of SmartStopStart is a forum member that fields ? here regarding SmartStopStart
  9. 100% assurance that SmatStopStart .. the companies owner, has your back so to speak
  10. Risk Free 90-day money-back satisfaction guarantee
  11. 3-year free repair/replacement warranty

Jeep Wrangler JL Autostop Eliminator vs SmartStopStart -- not Tazer smartstopstart

https://www.smartstopstart.com/jeep-dodge-chrysler-products.html

OP
OP
Daniel-WA

Daniel-WA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR ordered
Hey Rhinebeck01, in my original post I alluded to skepticism about the same user flooding the forums with posts about the SmartStopStart. While I appreciate your fast response, as it turns out, the person I was talking about is you. Having said that, I have a question for you: do you have a affiliation with the SmartStopStart product and, if so, what is your affiliation? The reason I am asking this is because it appears you are shoving SmartStopStart down everyone's throat the moment there's a mention of Autostop Eliminator, and I find that to be a little suspicious. Are you advertising on behalf of SmartStopStart? Totally great if you are, but I posted looking for real-world recommendations and not what appears to be advertising.

For everyone else, between Autostop Eliminator and SmartStopStart, which do you use? Thanks!

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
Rhinebeck01 is simply a very satisfied customer and had tested our product at its inception. We have no affiliation.

We also have a policy for forum members of matching price on request, so if you want our product contact me ([email protected]) for this discount.

BTW, our product's electronics are environmentally sealed, which depending on how you use your Jeep could be an important factor.

OP
OP
Daniel-WA

Daniel-WA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR ordered
Rhinebeck01 is simply a very satisfied customer and had tested our product at its inception. We have no affiliation.

We also have a policy for forum members of matching price on request, so if you want our product contact me ([email protected]) for this discount.
Hey Steve,

Thanks for jumping in! From purely a technical standpoint, in what way does your product differ from the Autostop Eliminator?

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Hey Rhinebeck01, in my original post I alluded to skepticism about the same user flooding the forums with posts about the SmartStopStart. While I appreciate your fast response, as it turns out, the person I was talking about is you. Having said that, I have a question for you: do you have a affiliation with the SmartStopStart product and, if so, what is your affiliation? The reason I am asking this is because it appears you are shoving SmartStopStart down everyone's throat the moment there's a mention of Autostop Eliminator, and I find that to be a little suspicious. Are you advertising on behalf of SmartStopStart? Totally great if you are, but I posted looking for real-world recommendations and not what appears to be advertising.

For everyone else, between Autostop Eliminator and SmartStopStart, which do you use? Thanks!
While you may be skeptical, @Rhinebeck01 has personally contacted me, we spoke on the phone a fair amount about some wiring issues.
If you check his postings you should quickly realize his sole purpose for almost 100% of his postings is for help or information, not any affiliation to a specific product. If this guy finds a product that meets his stringent needs then it will surely meet the needs of just about anyone on this site, as he's VERY particular when he recommends a part/product. He goes way above and beyond when he researches a product, often contacting the company, owner, designer of the product/part in question. The time he spends on this site w/ his detailed threads/posts and the legwork he puts in to find answers that most of us would like to know is just next level stuff.

Thanks @Rhinebeck01 (and no, I'm not related to him, lol)

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Those of you not using a Tazer, which do you prefer: the Autostop Eliminator or the SmartStopStart?

I want to disable auto-start and don't need all the features of the Tazer, nor do I want to bypass the gateway, so I'm comparing the Autostop Eliminator to the SmartStopStart. Installation and operation appear to be identical. When searching the forums, "Autostop Eliminator" appears more frequently from a larger number of users, whereas "SmartStopStart" appears in more posts, but most of those posts are originating from the same user who also frequently has bad things to say about the Autostop Eliminator. I am concerned by the frequency of posting by the same user about SmartStopStart.

Thank you so much for your advice!
Installed the Autostop Eliminator soon after purchasing my Jeep a year and a half ago. Haven't even thought about it since. Flawless.

IMG_5806.jpeg

IMG_5808.jpeg

IMG_5809.jpeg

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hey Steve,

Thanks for jumping in! From purely a technical standpoint, in what way does your product differ from the Autostop Eliminator?
They are completely different designs that basically do similar functions.
Our advantage is we design to automotive industry quality standards, our product is waterproof and environmentally sealed, it uses one less connector so there is one less point of failure, and our unit never misses a beat.

Not technical, but in addition, I help to fund this forum every month.

OP
OP
Daniel-WA

Daniel-WA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR ordered
They are completely different designs that basically do similar functions.
Our advantage is we design to automotive industry quality standards, our product is waterproof and environmentally sealed, it uses one less connector so there is one less point of failure, and our unit never misses a beat.

Not technical, but in addition, I help to fund this forum every month.
Is the circuit the same between yours and the Autostop Eliminator? (It's reasonable to assume you've disassembled your competitor's product to examine it)

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The auto stop eliminator plugs in to the gateway the same as the Tazer does according to their instructions? Even if you don’t think you’ll need the added features, I’m a firm believer in having the option. When you forget to turn off traction control and hit the slightest bit of mud in 2HI and the Jeep cuts all power, you’ll quickly want the Jeep to stop turning traction control back on every time you get in. When you realize how much more comfortable a rough but easy trail becomes with the sway bar disconnected in 2wd, tazer. Maybe you want to do some donuts in a snow covered parking lot or field? Rear locker in 2 HI and swing away. Tazer features are mandatory to get the most out of a rubicon, even if you leave it stock.

Sponsored

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed

I can tell you from my experience on this forum since around 2019 as a member and since 2018 as a lurker, Rhinebeck is definitely not someone just shilling stuff. He's extremely knowledgeable about Jeep stuff and has detailed information on a wide variety of products, troubleshooting, and general Jeep questions. He does his due diligence, talks with other users to learn their experiences, and communicates with the companies to help make products better.

He is a credit to the Jeep community and is an exceptional source of information.

I have no ties to Rhinebeck, nor any of the products discussed in this thread, but I can vouch for him!

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
SmartStopStart here and I'm very happy with it. Once set I can forget about it and it does its job flawlessly.

You may be overthinking this and I certainly would not expect either company to reveal their specific designs to the public on an open forum.

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Is the circuit the same between yours and the Autostop Eliminator? (It's reasonable to assume you've disassembled your competitor's product to examine it)
They are different circuits and software ultimately doing something quite similar.

Again, anyone on the Forum wanting SmartStopStart contact me for a price match.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Those of you not using a Tazer, which do you prefer:
the Autostop Eliminator or the SmartStopStart?
The Autostop Eliminator harness was the brand recommended to me, by forum membership, when I first learned that the ESS function could be deactivated on an effectively permanent basis. So, that's the one I purchased. I'm glad for its invisible functionality.

The SmartStopStart harness has better protection for its electronics, but is also priced 50% higher than the already-costly $100.00 Autostop Eliminator. As the interior of my JLU won't likely be exposed to the degree of dust, etc. that other owners might experience, the sealing of the SSS harness wasn't a factor in my original purchase decision (at which time there wasn't any intel regarding a price-match offer, either.)

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I have SmartStartStop and recommend them. One of the first things I installed. 100% happy and never had to worry about ESS. Once installed it is done and you'll forget your vehicle even has that feature.
Sponsored